Nikon D600 announced - $2100, let's see how Canon response!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
nicku said:
Two years of making your living with cameras, Canon cameras, and you will sell them all, reinvest in another type of equipment because they wont respond in the ways you stated?

After two years, I certainly hope any investment you have in Canon equipment has long since paid for itself many times over... I'm trying to rationale the business decision on this....

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
39 focus points (including 9 cross-type sensors; the center 33 points are available at apertures slower than f/5.6 and faster than f/8, while the center 7 points are available at f/8), and AF-assist illuminator (range approx. 0.5 to 3 m/1 ft 8 in. to 9 ft 10 in.)

... +1 for the af assist light on the d600 Canon cut from the 5d3 so you need a $500+ 600rt flash to do that. All in all absolutely impressive I regret to say as a Canon shooter, but since Magic Lantern or other 3rd party firmware doesn't run on Nikon I still wouldn't want to switch.

Upvote 0
CharlieB said:
[
I know Canon L series is over Nikon top lens in terms of quality and diversity.

After 10 years of using Canon gear and last 2 years for professional photography i really considering switching to Nikon if Canon will not respond.....by introducing a affordable entry lvl FF, a significant drop in price regarding 5D3 and an entry lvl sports/wildlife crop sensor ( called 7DMk2) with improved IQ
]

Two years of making your living with cameras, Canon cameras, and you will sell them all, reinvest in another type of equipment because they wont respond in the ways you stated?

After two years, I certainly hope any investment you have in Canon equipment has long since paid for itself many times over... I'm trying to rationale the business decision on this....

+1

Like anyone with a 5D or 1D X or 1Ds or whatever full-frame body you shoot with will want to switch to Nikon, because they bring out a new entry level full-frame body. This is only significant for Nikon shooters wanting to switch to a cheaper full-frame body. If you have Canon lenses, there is no point in changing systems just for that. If you are invested in the likes of Nikon D800 or D3/D4, there is also not a big impact by a new entry-level camera. Perhaps you might consider it as a backup camera, but so what?

Upvote 0
AmbientLight said:
Like anyone with a 5D or 1D X or 1Ds or whatever full-frame body you shoot with will want to switch to Nikon, because they bring out a new entry level full-frame body. This is only significant for Nikon shooters wanting to switch to a cheaper full-frame body. If you have Canon lenses, there is no point in changing systems just for that. If you are invested in the likes of Nikon D800 or D3/D4, there is also not a big impact by a new entry-level camera. Perhaps you might consider it as a backup camera, but so what?
I doubt its just for nikon shooters, its a really well round package with a few really sweet adds(dual sd, spotlinked meter, flash, F8 etc) that its bound to interest everyone in the market for FF. Obviously not the guy with 5k+ on canon lenses but definitely Aps-c and 1st and/or 2nd gen FF users who cant afford or dont want to spend 3k+ on a new camera

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
An interesting unintended side-effect of bundling even mid-range DSLRs with crappy kit lenses (in the interest of keeping price down) is that there's no system "lock-in" for the folks that bought the bundles. A 60D user with only the 18-55 lens is a lot more likely to just sell the whole thing & move to another brand than someone with a Rebel that loves her lens(es) & wants a better camera, even if she only owns one optic...

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
The part I think is neat is that the video could be shot using either dx or fx format. That type of functionality would be great if canon could use its software to control the sensor size to either be FF or aps-c on an actual FF sensor. That would allow beginners a smooth transition to a FF camera while allowing them usage of any existing lens that they have. I'm sure there would have to be trade offs such as 24mp FF or when using apsc mode it would be 12 or 15 mp. Even better would be for the camera software to recognize the lens and switch automatically so that there aren't any mistakes when photographing.

This could open up a ton of demand. Further thinking, this would allow canon to reduce the number of sensors that they have to make. People love to hack. Could you imagine if canon put these sensors in the rebel line but locked them down to apsc size? You would develop huge community of people that would learn how to jail break their camera just like an iPhone to get the FF capability. It wouldn't matter to canon because the cost of the sensor has already been taken in account with the initial sale of the camera, but the camera would still be limited by the af/IQ of the rebels. Prosumers and pros would still buy the higher end cameras and canon would be in a better position to sell glass which is where it makes most of its money anyway. People like to tinker with things like that, just look at majic lantern. If you jail break your camera, you would still need to buy ef lenses to use the sensor size.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.