Nikon D600

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

Marsu42 said:
briansquibb said:
Another person that cannot bear to type in www.nikonrumors.com
But to be fair, at least nikonrumors has a ff rumor :-o ... in contrast to Canon, where people still wonder if Canon will fill the void up to $3500 only with aps-c bodies or come up with a 5d2 successor at all.

Perhaps Canon have learn't their lesson from the 1DX - anounce just before you start delivering.

The void between the 5DII and the 5DIII is filled with the used 1DS3 ;D ;D ;D

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Perhaps Canon have learn't their lesson from the 1DX - anounce just before you start delivering.

From a marketing viewpoint, Canon was well-advised to announce the 1dx along the d4 - I don't think they expected the last delay. And pre-announcing a product is not something bad unless it's vaporware.

Every Canon user will be happy to wait 6 month or maybe even a year for a product they wish for, the point where Canon currently screws up is to give their enthusiast customer base the feeling that their investment in the Canon ef is still a sound decision.

And unlike the pc market where enthusiasts have only a small share, there are many dlsr amateurs around who will happily thousands of hard-earned $$$ for features or iq they might not really "need". But they don't want to be ripped off and/or put themselves in a technological dead end.

Since I shoot Canon since my first eos 600, I do hope this feeling will pass quickly, though since I am/was about to get some lenses for money I don't have just "lying around" the current situation makes me think, and I guess it's ok to discuss these feelings with fellow Canon users.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Marsu42 said:
Every Canon user will be happy to wait 6 month or maybe even a year for a product they wish for, the point where Canon currently screws up is to give their enthusiast customer base the feeling that their investment in the Canon ef is still a sound decision.

Are you say ef is not a sound decision? EF lens on a crop are very good - better than on a ff in most cases

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Are you say ef is not a sound decision? EF lens on a crop are very good - better than on a ff in most cases

I didn't put this as precise as I should - I was talking of the whole eos system with the ef mount (bodies, lenses, flashes etc etc and 3rd party equipment that only works along with this system). Basically the reason why there only is limited competition between manufacturers, unlike say the pc where you can plug in any gfx card you want.

And being a "system", I think is important to provide every customer in every stage of photographic experience with a longer-term, somewhat competitive, adequate "off the shelf" offer w/o forcing him/her to sell equipment (ef-s anyone?). And this is where Canon is temporarily lacking, it's not just Nikon trolls, but there is/will be a gap between consumer aps-c and 5d3+24-70ii that is too wide for some. The fact that many ef lenses shine on aps-c doesn't fix that.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Marsu42 said:
briansquibb said:

I didn't put this as precise as I should - I was talking of the whole eos system with the ef mount (bodies, lenses, flashes etc etc and 3rd party equipment that only works along with this system). Basically the reason why there only is limited competition between manufacturers, unlike say the pc where you can plug in any gfx card you want.

And being a "system", I think is important to provide every customer in every stage of photographic experience with a longer-term, somewhat competitive, adequate "off the shelf" offer w/o forcing him/her to sell equipment (ef-s anyone?). And this is where Canon is temporarily lacking, it's not just Nikon trolls, but there is/will be a gap between consumer aps-c and 5d3+24-70ii that is too wide for some. The fact that many ef lenses shine on aps-c doesn't fix that.

Well there is the 5DII + 24-105 option plus of course the 5DIII + 24-105.

And the 7D which s a prosumer body at not much more than the 60D

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Well there is the 5DII + 24-105 option plus of course the 5DIII + 24-105. And the 7D which s a prosumer body at not much more than the 60D

Well, the 7d has dropped a lot since obviously the demand is low (I cannot find any other reason), when I got my 60d the 7d was much more expensive. And you're right about the 24-105, the key is really how Canon will handle the 5d2 - if you look at the 5d3 af, this is made to be used with a f2.8 lens, i.e. 24-70ii + some 70-200. But even if Canon couldn't care less about what people write in forums, I am sure they got the message by now.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
What makes you say that?

From what I understand, the capability of the 5d3's af are depend heavily on the max. open aperture, or more and more af points loose part of the pattern detection - so if using say a 70-300L/4-5.6 you've got part of your af system disabled @300mm. It's ok to design it this way, and many promotion shots show the 5d3 with the 24-70ii or the 70-200/2.8.

On lesser bodies like the 60d, there are "sensitive" af points meaning that they control the focus more precisely, but the pattern (cross, double cross, ...) is independent meaning the manufacturer expects this af system to be used mainly with slower lenses.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
From what I understand, the capability of the 5d3's af are depend heavily on the max. open aperture, or more and more af points loose part of the pattern detection - so if using say a 70-300L/4-5.6 you've got part of your af system disabled @300mm. It's ok to design it this way, and many promotion shots show the 5d3 with the 24-70ii or the 70-200/2.8.

On lesser bodies like the 60d, there are "sensitive" af points meaning that they control the focus more precisely, but the pattern (cross, double cross, ...) is independent meaning the manufacturer expects this af system to be used mainly with slower lenses.

Actually, all 41 of the 5D3's cross-type AF points are sensitive to f/4. With f/2.8 glass, you're still "only" getting 41 cross-type points. Only the five double-cross-type points requires f/2.8 glass.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.