Nikon D600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Ricku said:
By the way, I think the only reason to why there are so many 5D3's in stock is because most 5D2 owners has decided to keep their camera.

Where are these in stock bodies? Is this just another Troll? I guess you can buy one on ebay from a gray market dealer for a big markup. Canon has two factories pumping them out at a much faster rate than Nikon, and still can't keep them in stock.
http://www.nowinstock.net/digitalcameras/canon/5dmarkiii/

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

dr croubie said:
briansquibb said:
dr croubie said:
Seems I was right when Canon announced the 5D3 and said that the 5D2 would drop in price to be their "entry level" dslr (that's still 2nd-most expensive currently-available camera they make).

Third most expensive

- 1D4
- 5DIII
- 5DII

Just a minor point

1D4 is still available?
*buys*

It certainly is in the UK - saw one last week which I was mighty tempted by, but had just bought a 200 f/2 so by strong will power I walked on by.

Upvote 0
Some more rumors on D600

The price of the D600 is rumored to be very low - maybe as low as $1500.
The sensor inside the D600 will probably be 24MP (made by Sony, modified by Nikon).
The D600 will probably not have an internal AF motor, which means it will work only with AF-S lenses (just like the D3200 and D5100).
The D600 will have HD video.
Announcement before Photokina (September 2012).
One or more low-priced f/4 lenses will be announced with the D600. For example, Nikon recently filed a patent for a 24-70mm f/3.5-4.5 full frame lens which seems to be designed for a cheaper FX DSLR body.

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/04/26/more-nikon-d600-rumors.aspx/#more-38954

I just love Nikon's no internal AF motor strategy, screwdriver power! ;D

Upvote 0
S

stabmasterasron

I don't want to hijack this thread, but just a thought on d800 vs. 5dmkiii - sales figures anyway. People are getting all worked up about the d800 outselling the 5dmkiii. Has anyone thought that maybe one reason could have not that much to do with the 5dmkiii itself. It could be that the d800 was a huge leap from the d700, whereas the 5dmkiii is not that large of a leap from the 5dmkii (no new features, just upgraded older ones). That has nothing to do with how the 5dmkiii and the d800 compare to each other, just the Nikon was behind the times with the d700 and the upgraders were waiting for features like video and so forth.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
stabmasterasron said:
I don't want to hijack this thread, but just a thought on d800 vs. 5dmkiii - sales figures anyway. People are getting all worked up about the d800 outselling the 5dmkiii. Has anyone thought that maybe one reason could have not that much to do with the 5dmkiii itself. It could be that the d800 was a huge leap from the d700, whereas the 5dmkiii is not that large of a leap from the 5dmkii (no new features, just upgraded older ones). That has nothing to do with how the 5dmkiii and the d800 compare to each other, just the Nikon was behind the times with the d700 and the upgraders were waiting for features like video and so forth.

Well, i'd guess that D700+D80 sales figures are still probably well behind 5D2+5D3, more because the 5D2 was so popular at least. I don't think the 5D3 is selling badly, it's unavailable where it's affordable (like the US), it's everywhere in Aus where you have to pay $4100 for it though.

But add in sales figures for a potential D600+D700+D800 vs 5D2+5D3, if it actually happens, in a year or so, maybe this is what they're doing to redress the balance...

Upvote 0
stabmasterasron said:

how was Nikon D700 behind the times? what camera today can deliver 8FPS full frame with a 51pt af system for less than 2200 dollars? If that's behind the times, man what is the canon going to do!!! If anything I always respected that camera for it was doing in 2008 what canon still hasn't done in 2012. The only weakness was lack of video, and that IF you cared.

no sir, the NikonD800 is selling because it is the camera many of us wanted the 5DmkIII to be. That's why I ditched my canon gear for it. Many switchers are going elsewhere for resolution. It is 2012 and Canon stuck with 22MP bodies when Nikon has entry level cameras with 24MP simply explains a lot of why the NikonD800 is tracking so high on amazon relative to other full frame bodies.

I'll keep an eye on the 5Dmk4 in 2016. But until then, and after using the D800 for two straight weeks, I'm just not going back 8)

This D600 intrigues me. It would be prefect for a backup body if the price of 1500 dollars is true. But I was thinking of a backup D700 instead. It's such bargain and outruns even the MKIII by 2FPS.

Upvote 0
No one with a huge investment in glass should EVER switch based on a new camera body. If that was the case, every Nikon pro would have switched to the 5d2--months before the D3X (24MP) was introduced.

Canon will counter eventually with similar DR and the likes. I like Canon's lens selection better, personally, with exception to the UWAs. Other than that, where is Nikon more dominant in terms of lens offerings?

Maybe the D600 will force the 5d3 to go down in price. I was on the D800 bandwagon myself, until I saw some amazing High ISO shots from the 5d3. If I have to reduce my image size on the D800 to match other DSLRs high ISO, how is it really comparable??

Upvote 0
psolberg said:
stabmasterasron said:

how was Nikon D700 behind the times? what camera today can deliver 8FPS full frame with a 51pt af system for less than 2200 dollars? If that's behind the times, man what is the canon going to do!!! If anything I always respected that camera for it was doing in 2008 what canon still hasn't done in 2012. The only weakness was lack of video, and that IF you cared.

no sir, the NikonD800 is selling because it is the camera many of us wanted the 5DmkIII to be. That's why I ditched my canon gear for it. Many switchers are going elsewhere for resolution. It is 2012 and Canon stuck with 22MP bodies when Nikon has entry level cameras with 24MP simply explains a lot of why the NikonD800 is tracking so high on amazon relative to other full frame bodies.

I'll keep an eye on the 5Dmk4 in 2016. But until then, and after using the D800 for two straight weeks, I'm just not going back 8)

This D600 intrigues me. It would be prefect for a backup body if the price of 1500 dollars is true. But I was thinking of a backup D700 instead. It's such bargain and outruns even the MKIII by 2FPS.
I think you'll find that the D700 can't shoot at 8 fps either, at least not straight out of the box, A big complaint that a pro Nikon shooter I know had, that the specs of some Nikon cameras (I think he was complaining about the D300) were misleading, leading to him buying something he wished he hadn't. The quoted frame rate for the D700 is only 5 fps, which isn't much more than the 3.9 fps of the 5D MkII, when you also consider the difference in sensor resolution.
Also, the D800 also isn't for many of us who prefer low light abilities over resolution. If you want high resolution, then fine, get the D800, otherwise, for those of us in the other camp, the 5D MkIII is for us. Ultimately though, it's the bracket on the other end that makes the difference, not the camera.

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
Seems I was right when Canon announced the 5D3 and said that the 5D2 would drop in price to be their "entry level" dslr (that's still 2nd-most expensive currently-available camera they make).

Canon never designated the 5d2 as an entry-ff body, did they? They just produce it along until 5d3 early adopters have paid the $3500 price and the 5d3 drops. And maybe until they see what Nikon does (d600) and can react accordingly, preventing another 5d3 marketing disaster.

Upvote 0
S

stevenrrmanir

EYEONE said:
It wouldn't surprise me at all. There have been lots of rumors here about the same thing for a long time. I would think it'd be in Canon's best interest to strike first and make it good. They certainly created room for one by moving the 5D up to $3500.

... to rape the buyers of the entry level FF for $2500...

I hope Nikon rapes Canon's arse with D600 for $1500!

Canon = Sony = losing touch with reality and customers out there...

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

stevenrrmanir said:
EYEONE said:
It wouldn't surprise me at all. There have been lots of rumors here about the same thing for a long time. I would think it'd be in Canon's best interest to strike first and make it good. They certainly created room for one by moving the 5D up to $3500.

... to rape the buyers of the entry level FF for $2500...

I hope Nikon rapes Canon's arse with D600 for $1500!

Canon = Sony = losing touch with reality and customers out there...

Another person that cannot bear to type in www.nikonrumors.com ..... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
Another person that cannot bear to type in www.nikonrumors.com
But to be fair, at least nikonrumors has a ff rumor :-o ... in contrast to Canon, where people still wonder if Canon will fill the void up to $3500 only with aps-c bodies or come up with a 5d2 successor at all.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.