Nikon FF mirrorless marketing leak - new 8/5

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
because the only people going on and on about small are forum warriors not photographers?

No, but they should sell why it's worth the trouble, investment, etc. As mirrorless is hard to turn into an elevator pitch in a single photo, the logical move is to as simply as possible highlight what the fuss was about.

One way to do that would be to highlight its smaller size -- that's what Sony did in 2013 when the A7 was outed:
6427007698.jpg
But it doesn't have to be a small sell. The other way would be highlight something their FX mount cameras cannot do: if an f/0.9 lens truly exists for this camera, show it off and get people drooling.

But to put what looks like a 24-105 f/4 on there implies 'welcome to our new camera platform and it has stuff you'd expect a camera platform to have'. Fine message, but I sure as hell wouldn't lead with that. Sell why the new system is something you should be fired up about.

- A

Upvote 0
I think this new Nikon looks pretty good.
A slim body with a DSLR grip on it.
Looks more comfortable than the Sony 7's, but I hope for their sake that they didn't make the mistake of trying to put the lens too close to the grip.My fat fingers keep getting caught on Sonys.
I bet the Canon engineers are looking very closely at this, mind you, it would probably be too late for Canon to make any drastic changes to the body design.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I think this new Nikon looks pretty good.
A slim body with a DSLR grip on it.
Looks more comfortable than the Sony 7's, but I hope for their sake that they didn't make the mistake of trying to put the lens too close to the grip.My fat fingers keep getting caught on Sonys.
I bet the Canon engineers are looking very closely at this, mind you, it would probably be too late for Canon to make any drastic changes to the body design.

The lens looks awfully close to the grip. Notice that even the model's slim fingers are resting on the front of the grip and not around it. I think the fingers wrapped around the lens take up all the space.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The lens looks awfully close to the grip. Notice that even the model's slim fingers are resting on the front of the grip and not around it. I think the fingers wrapped around the lens take up all the space.

Yep, the cardboard mockups of this looked like this as well. How much finger room will remain when an f/2.8 zoom or f/1.4 prime gets brought to bear?

- A

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2014
Yep, the cardboard mockups of this looked like this as well. How much finger room will remain when an f/2.8 zoom or f/1.4 prime gets brought to bear?

- A
notice that she has fingers from both hands in that space between grip and lens
also, a 2.8 zoom wouldn't be much thicker than the mount diameter, would it?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
First out kit lens for that body may not be ML optimized... What's in the photo could just be an existing optical design with a lengthened mount-barrel to save time and development cost for body introduction or just a simple mock-up for the sake of the commercial image. Looks like the lens has 2 telescoping barrels from the front so that may be quite a zoom ratio as well?..

LL's "mirrorless war" video from a few days ago if it was missed:

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Just because a body can take smaller/lighter lenses doesn't mean all lenses have to be smaller/lighter. You may not get the weight/size advantage with, for example, a 24-70 f/2.8 zoom but you still get the weight saving with the lighter body so it's still a win even with the standard zooms. Also, depending on the lens design moving the lens closer to the sensor helps with balance on heavier lenses. If your solution for balance on a heavier lens is to rely on a heavier body then you're not dealing with the problem properly :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Removable EVF?

The eyepiece, possibly, but that top housing that sits where the pentaprism normally would is all but surely an integral part of the body (consider: the hotshoe is on top of that, so it will take load). To make that modular in what I presume is a sealed body would be quite a trick.

- A

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
The eyepiece, possibly, but that top housing that sits where the pentaprism normally would is all but surely an integral part of the body (consider: the hotshoe is on top of that, so it will take load). To make that modular in what I presume is a sealed body would be quite a trick.

- A
Well i think the Fuji GFX 50 has a removable EVF using the hot shoe on the camera and has another hot shoe on the EVF, so I guess its possible. It just looks removeable

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
less and less interested in Nikon's FF MILC/s should they really come in such large body size/s ... smaller than an FF DSLR, but still significantly larger than Sony A7 III ...

Nikon-mirrorless-camera-dimensions-%C2%A9-Michna-768x520.jpg

and might even be a bit larger according to this guesstimate:
Nikon-mirrorless-camera-dimensions-by-%C2%A9-Gosh1-1.jpg

@ahsanford the zoom should be the rumored Nikon Z-mount 24-70/4. No idea, why a) they use a dual cam design for tubus [i don't like the wobbling and normally a sure sign for a very low grade consumer lens) AND YET b) the lens still being this large.

Looks like there is Sony FE air-filled tubus at rear end of lens!? Or an "elegant F-mount nozzle" :eek: on camera? :p

Upvote 0