Nikon FF mirrorless marketing leak - new 8/5

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Lest I forget, Nikon has dedicated aperture rings on their lenses. Perhaps they've done something nutty/brave/interesting with that same real estate on their new native mount glass:

If you know your thin mount lens will have some added real estate in an area that FF SLR lens would never have, what would you do with it? Put in a mirrorless-specific functionality.
  • Perhaps it's a pull ring or deliberately shaped surface you can interact with. Tug on the ring and you get 10x zoom for manual focusing until you let

• Perhaps it's the control wheel to change your 'HUD' EVF views without having to painstaking toggle / cycle through things with a single button push?
- A

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
No, but they should sell why it's worth the trouble, investment, etc. As mirrorless is hard to turn into an elevator pitch in a single photo, the logical move is to as simply as possible highlight what the fuss was about.

One way to do that would be to highlight its smaller size -- that's what Sony did in 2013 when the A7 was outed:
6427007698.jpg
But it doesn't have to be a small sell. The other way would be highlight something their FX mount cameras cannot do: if an f/0.9 lens truly exists for this camera, show it off and get people drooling.

But to put what looks like a 24-105 f/4 on there implies 'welcome to our new camera platform and it has stuff you'd expect a camera platform to have'. Fine message, but I sure as hell wouldn't lead with that. Sell why the new system is something you should be fired up about.

- A

Nikon has to sell small, but they also have to sell the idea that the new mirrorless is a serious camera that will have serious lenses, which will be worth the investment. Lots of new glass in the new mount is part of the story.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon has to sell small, but they also have to sell the idea that the new mirrorless is a serious camera that will have serious lenses, which will be worth the investment. Lots of new glass in the new mount is part of the story.

Sony A7 & A7R at launch (for perspective):

New Sony A Lenses and Accessories
There are a total of 5 new full-frame E-mount lenses designed to take full advantage of the powerful imaging capabilities of the A7R and A7 cameras, including mid-range zoom lenses from Sony and Carl Zeiss, two bright Zeiss Sonnar T*™ prime lenses and a premium-quality G Lens™ telephoto zoom. Sony’s growing E-mount interchangeable lens lineup now consists of 21 different lenses including the new full-frame models.
In addition to the new lenses, there are also two new-generation mount adaptors that give photographers the ability to utilize full-frame Sony A-mount optics on the A7 and A7R cameras. The LA-EA3 adapter simply adds compatibility for existing A-mount lenses the new cameras, while the LA-EA4 model adds the ultra-fast focusing and shooting capabilities of Sony’s innovative Translucent Mirror Technology.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That said, I'm not convinced Canon or Nikon need to roll out the red carpet on new glass to get folks to adopt the new system. They'll have a standard zoom and a tiny prime, I'm sure, but they don't need much more to get the initial rollout going -- provided there's an adaptor.

Unlike Sony, both Nikon and Canon have hordes of users sitting on plenty of glass already. As much as CaNikon would love new customers, the easiest sale they can possibly make is to their own.

So I think these bodies will sell themselves unless astronomically priced or poor initial reviews / major glitches at rollout are found. There is simply too much pent up (enthusiast) demand for this not to sell well.

- A

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
That said, I'm not convinced Canon or Nikon need to roll out the red carpet on new glass to get folks to adopt the new system. They'll have a standard zoom and a tiny prime, I'm sure, but they don't need much more to get the initial rollout going -- provided there's an adaptor.

Unlike Sony, both Nikon and Canon have hordes of users sitting on plenty of glass already. As much as CaNikon would love new customers, the easiest sale they can possibly make is to their own.

So I think these bodies will sell themselves unless astronomically priced or poor initial reviews / major glitches at rollout are found. There is simply too much pent up (enthusiast) demand for this not to sell well.

- A

Maybe so, but the Nikon adapter for the legacy glass seems iffy and complicated, certainly in comparison to the EF situation. It looks as though Nikon may be heading toward DSLR and Mirrorless lines that are each pretty much stand alone, with little synergy between the two.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Maybe so, but the Nikon adapter for the legacy glass seems iffy and complicated, certainly in comparison to the EF situation. It looks as though Nikon may be heading toward DSLR and Mirrorless lines that are each pretty much stand alone, with little synergy between the two.

FX glass has to work on this new platform or folks will leave. It may not be seamless, work for every lens, etc. but the key staple lenses simply must work on that adaptor or they are in a world of hurt.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Regarding the lens, the double barrel suggests a superzoom lens, e.g., 28-200mm. Hard to make a small one of those.

We're seeing a few different lenses being teased here.

First one:

Nikon-mirrorless-Z-camera-550x414.jpeg
One ring + that size = a fast prime, ya? The hood is neither a deep tele tube nor a very shallow UWA petal, so I'd guess that's a 35 or 50 prime. (Consider: A 35 Art is about that size.)​

Second one:

Nikon-mirrorless-full-frame-camera-leak-close-up.jpg
Mos def a zoom. The silhouette from the promo (see attached) pegged the lens around 100mm (of physical length) off the mount. That says 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/variable to me, but I suppose 28-200 would be possible if it was super slow, i.e. f/6.3. I see what you mean (above) for what looks like two sleeves/baffles telescoping between that front element and the bigger focus/zoom ring -- that does imply quite a bit of telescoping might be going on, consistent with a superzoom. We'll see.​

- A

Attachments

• Nikon-mirrorless-camera-dimensions-©-L-Johnson.jpg
    Nikon-mirrorless-camera-dimensions-©-L-Johnson.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
FX glass has to work on this new platform or folks will leave. It may not be seamless, work for every lens, etc. but the key staple lenses simply must work on that adaptor or they are in a world of hurt.

The OR here is that Nikon may ambitiously try to keep its pros on a full F mount mirrorless setup alongside this new mount version. I'm not sure they can carry that weight like Canon can, though.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Second one:
Mos def a zoom. The silhouette from the promo (see attached) pegged the lens around 100mm (of physical length) off the mount. That says 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/variable to me, but I suppose 28-200 would be possible if it was super slow, i.e. f/6.3.

The 100mm physical length assumes the lens is fully extended. I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. If 'small' is important from a marketing standpoint, I'd pick a model with large hands and barely extend the lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The 100mm physical length assumes the lens is fully extended. I'm not sure that's a valid assumption. If 'small' is important from a marketing standpoint, I'd pick a model with large hands and barely extend the lens.

Did you look at the attachment, my good man? ;)
small.jpg
ENHANCE
Full.jpg
They clearly took some liberties with correcting for the perspective, but that looks like a closed down zoom lens to me.​
From TDP​
24-70 f/4L IS = 100.8mm (possibly incl. the mount)​
24-105 f/variable IS STM = 111.5mm (ditto above, but could be shorter if the above is f/6.3)​
It's possible, of course, that between the two teasers we've actually had a look at *three* lenses. The above came from the first 'silhouette' teaser, and it sure looks like a zoom and not the prime shown as my first example above.​
- A​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Did you look at the attachment, my good man? ;)

They clearly took some liberties with correcting for the perspective, but that looks like a closed down zoom lens to me.
From TDP​
24-70 f/4L IS = 100.8mm (possibly incl. the mount)​
24-105 f/variable IS STM = 111.5mm (ditto above, but could be shorter if the above is f/6.3)​

Sorry, my good man, but yes I looked at the attachment...but I don't see your point. You're drawing conclusions about the focal length of a retracting zoom based on measurements of the retracted lens? Is that logical?

Consider this...
From TDP​
28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 = 97.1mm​

The two zooms you list have a single barrel, the EF 28-200mm has a double barrel...just as the pictured lens in the woman's hands appears to have. That double-barrel design is common on superzooms, but not for zooms in the 3-4x range. The 28-200 is double or more the focal length of your two listed lenses...and physically shorter than both when retracted.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The two zooms you list have a single barrel, the EF 28-200mm has a double barrel...just as the pictured lens in the woman's hands appears to have. That double-barrel design is common on superzooms, but not for zooms in the 3-4x range. The 28-200 is double or more the focal length of your two listed lenses...and physically shorter than both when retracted.

How on earth have I never seen the EF 28-200 before? I thought you were referring to much larger 28-300L for a moment there.

You think they are really launching a new platform with a twentysomething - 200? The double barrel agrees with you, I concede, but that is a very odd 'new hotness' card to play for a new platform.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How on earth have I never seen the EF 28-200 before?
Ignorance of the lens is no excuse. ;)

You think they are really launching a new platform with a twentysomething - 200? The double barrel agrees with you, I concede, but that is a very odd 'new hotness' card to play for a new platform.
Fair point. Does Sony have an FE superzoom? Might be Nikon offering something their competition doesn't.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
We're seeing a few different lenses being teased here.

Nikon-mirrorless-Z-camera-550x414.jpeg
One ring + that size = a fast prime, ya? The hood is neither a deep tele tube nor a very shallow UWA petal, so I'd guess that's a 35 or 50 prime. (Consider: A 35 Art is about that size.)- A​
Only 1 clearly visible large ribbed control ring, probably focus for a good size prime.​
Seems to be an "A" - "M" focus switch on the barrel?​
maybe it's modern 105mm f/2 short tele for portraiture​
[QUOTE}
Second one:

Nikon-mirrorless-full-frame-camera-leak-close-up.jpg
Mos def a zoom. The silhouette from the promo (see attached) pegged the lens around 100mm (of physical length) off the mount. That says 24-70 f/4 or 24-105 f/variable to me, but I suppose 28-200 would be possible if it was super slow, i.e. f/6.3. I see what you mean (above) for what looks like two sleeves/baffles telescoping between that front element and the bigger focus/zoom ring -- that does imply quite a bit of telescoping might be going on, consistent with a superzoom. We'll see.​

- A[/QUOTE]

with the double-cam-tube setup I'd expect something in the 5x to 6x range.
Maybe a variable aperture 24-150mm f/3.5-5.6 or 24-120mm f/3.5-4.5 kit lens to get the ball rolling.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Only 1 clearly visible large ribbed control ring, probably focus for a good size prime.​
Seems to be an "A" - "M" focus switch on the barrel?​
maybe it's modern 105mm f/2 short tele for portraiture​
with the double-cam-tube setup I'd expect something in the 5x to 6x range.
Maybe a variable aperture 24-150mm f/3.5-5.6 or 24-120mm f/3.5-4.5 kit lens to get the ball rolling.

The first one can't be a 100-ish prime or Nikon is deliberately messing with us with a false hood:
(All shots from TDP)

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 9.33.49 PM.png

In order those are 85 1.8 / 100 2 / 135 2 -- once you get past a certain FL, hoods tend to (though not always) get deeper and lose the petal shape.

But that hood in the first shot looks a lot more like a wider prime:
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 9.35.50 PM.png

...which is why I think that first lens is a 35 - 50 prime. I could be wrong.

- A

Upvote 0