Nikon FF Mirrorless - next week(!), prices

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
From NR:

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/07/15/one-week-away-from-the-rumored-new-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-announcement.aspx/

Nikon 45MP full frame mirrorless camera: €4,000 (around $4,670)
Nikon 24MP full frame mirrorless camera: €2,500 (around $2,900)

Medical costs for back/wrist pain for using the (rumored) f/0.9 lenses is not included.

- A

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting what the "very sophisticated new F Mount adapter" is like and how it performs as Canon might do the same. If Canon go the same route the performance of those adapters might have a major bearing on what existing users do in terms of switching to mirrorless. If it slows focusing or reduces focusing accuracy it might have an issue.

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Hector1970 said:
It will be interesting what the "very sophisticated new F Mount adapter" is like and how it performs as Canon might do the same. If Canon go the same route the performance of those adapters might have a major bearing on what existing users do in terms of switching to mirrorless. If it slows focusing or reduces focusing accuracy it might have an issue.

+ 1
I'd have changed that 'might' to 'will' though.
Can't wait to see the size of this camera

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
zim said:
Hector1970 said:

+ 1
Rumors are saying a small A7 like body but with good ergonomic handling. Is that even possible?

Upvote 0
BeenThere said:
zim said:
Hector1970 said:

+ 1
Rumors are saying a small A7 like body but with good ergonomic handling. Is that even possible?

It is - the 200D shows that you can make a ergonomically usable small camera for users with large hands. Just move the lens bajonet to the left and you have enough space for a larger hand grip AND more space between grip and lens. The lens release button has to be moved maybe to the side of the camera - perhaps as press-and-shift variant or retreated button.

And I am really confused that this isn't standard for DSLRs or EVF equipped mirrorless cameras: The back display mustn't be centered in that case IMO and for digital there is no need for space for film rolls - only for other components which can usually be shifted inside the camera (except sensor and maybe cpu).

Upvote 0
mb66energy said:
Aglet said:
The teaser video is on youtube today:

https://youtu.be/ZldXR313k4M

Thanks for the link - I grabbed one image @ 1:16 or so and lifted the shadows by 5 stops: Seems to be a SLR like body but a little bit flatter so maybe it is the body of the future Nikon mirrorless.
Yes,it looks like.
Maybe an compromise not to loose the strenght of an DSLR body.
That would be an good idea. IMO the loss of weight and the smaller body would be not the major reason for enthusiasts to switch. IMO they are more keen on the better specs (like better AF performance ...) and not so on leeser weight and size. As I heared in an pro workshop there are many ideas how to use the bigger bodies, like an "dust protection mirror-shield" that is just put down, when you change lenses...

Upvote 0
xps said:
mb66energy said:
Aglet said:
The teaser video is on youtube today:

https://youtu.be/ZldXR313k4M

Thanks for the link - I grabbed one image @ 1:16 or so and lifted the shadows by 5 stops: Seems to be a SLR like body but a little bit flatter so maybe it is the body of the future Nikon mirrorless.
Yes,it looks like.
Maybe an compromise not to loose the strenght of an DSLR body.
That would be an good idea. IMO the loss of weight and the smaller body would be not the major reason for enthusiasts to switch. IMO they are more keen on the better specs (like better AF performance ...) and not so on leeser weight and size. As I heared in an pro workshop there are many ideas how to use the bigger bodies, like an "dust protection mirror-shield" that is just put down, when you change lenses...

As I have seen the M5 body I was shocked about its size and later I bought the 200D / SL-2 because of the new sensor, DPAF, variable back display, light build. The new sensor tech made me lusting to check a new M body and I liked the idea to have the advantages of mirrorless+EVF including variable back display (tilt/flip): I bought the M50 which has a very similar general body shape compared to the M5 and I now see why Canon gone this route: As you said - DSLR shaped bodies have advantages if you use heavier than light lenses and I feel very comfortable with e.g. the EF 70-200 f/4 lens. The grip of the M50 is very good just for my larger hands. Operability is soso due to the limited direct controls - on the other hand: These cameras have so many features you need a very large body to put hardware switches for all options and leave some non-buttoned space to hold this beast! - switching not so often used parameters via EVF needs some time to be used to but it works, custom menus help a lot.

Upvote 0
snoke said:
xps said:
Z-Mount.
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/01/18/a-quick-update-on-the-rumored-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-z-mount.aspx/

I think this is quite larger than EF-mount, isn´t it?
Interested in, which way Canon goes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_mount

Only throat important. Nikon Z 49mm. Canon EF 54mm.

thanks

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I really hope that that pellicle mirror design did not make it to the final product. It is apparently needed to allow autofocus for large aperture lenses, but there are two many issues with pellicle mirrors.
Canon has issues with DPAF, but seem to have lots of ideas on improving autofocus for short flangeback mirrorless cameras, I suspect that we will see some of them incorporated.
Then, there is the matter of price. The main attracting feature of a mirrorless camera is simplicity, fewer parts, lower cost to make and maintain. All that is lost when a delicate unreliable pellicle mirror is used. The $4,000 plus price (if true) is just another nail in Nikon's coffin. Who wants to spend $8 - 10K to buy into a mirrorless camera with pellicle mirror and three new lenses?
I think that when Canon finally makes the switch, it will be done right.

Upvote 0