Nikon Sales Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.
so there you go: Canon has sales and profits going down, and can't blame the slow world economy

I would bet on greedy pricing, or, if you want to look at it from the other side, increased competition (and lack of a response to that)

but it's not like the other camp should be feeling a lot better: sales are up, but profit is down (which is to be expected when you price your goods a bit too aggressively)

Upvote 0
NormanBates said:
so there you go: Canon has sales and profits going down, and can't blame the slow world economy

I would bet on greedy pricing, or, if you want to look at it from the other side, increased competition (and lack of a response to that)

but it's not like the other camp should be feeling a lot better: sales are up, but profit is down (which is to be expected when you price your goods a bit too aggressively)

Yup that's true, but I'm guessing that aggressive pricing also tends to attract customers both new and those who are switching. In business, sometimes you think of performance in the long run. I know there's some switching going on since whenever I go to photography trading sites, I can see some people offering their Canon gear for trade for equivalent Nikon products. I just hope that Canon notices it so that Canon users like us will get better prices and better technology.

Upvote 0
The reason imo are:

1. very poor RD and as an effect-no real development in camera sensors. To be honest-there are no new products,only corrected or improved to catch market standard (competition)
2. very very high price, not corresponding with quality (sensors) and competition's offer
3. canon is now only driven by accountants and marketing guys.
4. The company strongly believes that loyal customers who already own canon and invested hard in some gear will stay loyal and put more money into the company's wallet.
5. A lot of users buy ie. 5d3 cause a previous model lacks a lot of basics (AF) not because a new one has such a great features. Maybe the 5d4 will have a slightly better DR, no banding, higher x-sync-things which are already provided on the other side of the fence. I know that someone can say that the grass is always greener there, however I checked two sides and that's my opinion

IMHO Canon pulls the wool over its clients eyes.People are not stupid and don't like to be cheated somehow. People care about their money. I do not see any real improvement and the company does not make me feel it will strongly develop in future, on the other hand, they demand in a greedy way. If had to start from scratch I would definitely go for Nikon now. ( I have already switched to Canon and really regret the decision). Now I just do want to loose my money but I feel that will be my final decision. Moreover I have a lot of problems with my gear since the purchase, so far service did not help me or exchange body to one which works properly.

Upvote 0
Nikon has been targeting newer markets, where Canon stays where they've always sold. Nikon practically took over India with Canon barely on the sales ranking. Nikon at the top and I think Sony right after for DSLRs. As an emerging economy with lots of people in this age of social media Nikon jumped in for the opportunity and are scoring.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

neuroanatomist said:
Let's put this in perspective - this is the first quarter in several years that Nikon outsold Canon, and Nikon needs a lot more quarters like this last one to make up for how far they trail Canon in dSLR market share.

im not really interested in market shares... im interested in products.
and nikon has produced the more exciting cameras this year.
at least in my pricerange of 2000-3000 euro.

im not switching as this would cost me a fortune on glass.
but i do hope that canons next generation will be exciting not just blah.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Canon-F1 said:

Even there, I'd take a 5DIII over a D800 for general use. I'm sure I'd find the D800 exciting if my primary subjects were landscape and architecture, but they're not.

+1! I am learning this the hard way. I love the D800 for shooting outside and shooting still scenary like landscape, but trying to shoot a moving subject even outside or shooting indoor with a flash sometime is a hit and miss game with the AF on the D800. It is also very sensitive to lenses selection. In low light prime lenses are almost impossible to focus with the D800...

As a result (and to my surprise to some degree) my go to Camera for shooting ISO 100 with a flsh inside is actually my ... 1DX!

Upvote 0
Even here in Malaysia (as I'm staying currently here), most of my office mates and friends that are new in photography, all of them have got Nikon except one (15 of them, because of D7000 & recently D600) though Canon users (mostly old) still outnumber them. You can see it whenever our club is going for photo shoots/hiking.

Upvote 0
S

symmar22

Canon-F1 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Let's put this in perspective - this is the first quarter in several years that Nikon outsold Canon, and Nikon needs a lot more quarters like this last one to make up for how far they trail Canon in dSLR market share.

im not really interested in market shares... im interested in products.

im not switching as this would cost me a fortune on glass.
but i do hope that canons next generation will be exciting not just blah.

+1.

I stick because switching glass would cost me a fortune (and I need my TS-Es)

I couldn't care less about sales figures. Canon and Nikon are not exactly the same companies, Canon being much bigger, with lots of other products than photography (copiers, printers, office equipment).

But Nikon, with its smaller footprint is putting a lot of NEW products with exciting features. It's not not about money (Canon has more of it) it's about attitude and creativity.

For a newcomer, Nikon is nowadays the obvious choice, their cameras will give you better IQ for less money. Only the 1Dx can compete with its D4 equivalent.

What counts is the final product you release and the price you sell it. Canon has nothing exciting or even new to propose, it's clear they did not invest enough in RD since some time. They might be n°1, but they fell asleep.

IMO the 24-70mmf4 IS is just a marketing lens designed to offer a cheaper kit for the 6D.

When Nikon announces a NEW product, it's available within weeks (or a few months worst case). Canon since years is just refreshing what they already have, and announces it years before you can actually see it, most of it being delayed anyway. On top of that, the retail price is always more than the competition and much more than the product it replaces.

IMO the last NEW lenses Canon has put on the market was the 8-15mm Fisheye, and the good 40mm pancake (though crippled by the focus by wire). Everything else is merely a refresh.

The 24mm and 28mm IS are replacing 30 years old lenses, I would call them a refresh as well, and the price has been refreshed accordingly.

If it's about refreshing, there's an endless list of lenses that are completely outdated (20/2.8, 28/1.8, 35/2, 50/1.8, 50/2.5 Macro, 135/2.8 SF, 400/5.6), could see some obvious improvements (35/1.4, 45/2.8 TS-E, 50/1.4, 90/2.8 TS-E, 180/3.5, 200/2.8, 300/4 IS, 100-400/4-5.6) or are simply missing (17/2.8, 14-24/2.8 )
When Nikon's sensors superiority finally got widely admitted, then everyone starts putting Canon's glass as being the main interest.

That was maybe true until now, but if they don't do anything to renew their aging glass range, they won't keep the upper hand much longer.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Jackson_Bill said:
neuroanatomist said:
Even there, I'd take a 5DIII over a D800 for general use. I'm sure I'd find the D800 exciting if my primary subjects were landscape and architecture, but they're not.

Off topic, but...
Wouldn't you want a D800 for the wildlife stuff you do, too?

The AF on the 5DIII is reportedly superior, and the high ISO performance is better, too. Both are even more true of the 1D X. Would I like more MP? Sure. But great AF and low noise are more important, to me.

Upvote 0
JR said:
neuroanatomist said:
Canon-F1 said:

+1! I am learning this the hard way. I love the D800 for shooting outside and shooting still scenary like landscape, but trying to shoot a moving subject even outside or shooting indoor with a flash sometime is a hit and miss game with the AF on the D800. It is also very sensitive to lenses selection. In low light prime lenses are almost impossible to focus with the D800...

As a result (and to my surprise to some degree) my go to Camera for shooting ISO 100 with a flsh inside is actually my ... 1DX!

I bought a d800 about 3 weeks ago, and unfortunately, it was a lemon. Center focus point dead-on, but BOTH left and right way off. This especially affects moving subjects. Took me three weeks back-and forth between the shop until I got a replacement. First they "fixed" it - all focus points were basically even... evenly bad. My 50mm lens that needed zero AF Fine Tune with my d7k needed about +30 when the body came back from "repairs." Finally, I got a new body, and fortunately, it's accurate and fast, even in low light. From what I gather from reviews (I haven't handled the 1DX) they are pretty much on par, negligible difference in focusing speed and accuracy... if you get a good copy. Which reminds me - while Nikon sales are up, service quality is way down. The left AF focus issue is a huge let-down, especially the silence on the part of Nikon :(

Upvote 0
You should be happy about the fact that finally you have a good one (D800). You should not blame N service as you are happy at the end. My 5d3 was a crap since purchase. Sent it 5 times for service for fixing AF. I bought my body in May...still not working. That's Canon service from my point of view-and they did not exchange it for new and good copy . I have terrible experience with Canon service. Now I have a 3500$ body without working AF.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.