No 7d iii in 2019!

Recently a list of camera certifications for 2019 got posted.

There are only 3 cameras that "could" be the 7d iii:

the K437 (32 mp dslr)
the K435 (24 mp dslr)
the K436 (24 mp dslr)

It cant be the K437 because there is no way that they are gonna use a 32mp sensor for a high fps sports cam.
And it also cant be the K435 and K436, because they only have 4 batterly level indications (7d series has 6).

Unles im missing something important, this means that there will be NO 7d iii in 2019. That's really depressing, i was looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
It cant be the K437 because there is no way that they are gonna use a 32mp sensor for a high fps sports cam.
I'm not convinced that this rules out a 7D Mk III - it's not hard to speculate that 32mps at a high frame rate is achievable these days; and from a wildlife point of view there's a lot to recommend lots of pixels on subject, for cropping purposes.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'd say there will be one and it will be mirrored. I'd be happy if it had a better sensor - it works pretty good other than that.
Of course 12 FPS would be nice.
It will be a minor upgrade but slightly better than the II

i would like that too but its unreasonable. dpaf and the autofokus on the new eos R is too slow/inacurat for high speed tracking like you need for sports and wildlife. It may be good for fast focus acquiring on a slow moving subject but the fokus tracking for fast moving subjects isn't there yet for canon.

Upvote 0
I'm not convinced that this rules out a 7D Mk III - it's not hard to speculate that 32mps at a high frame rate is achievable these days; and from a wildlife point of view there's a lot to recommend lots of pixels on subject, for cropping purposes.

That would probably be a dream camera, but its very unlikly. Fuji only got to 26 mp from 24 with the xt3 and the canon 7d ii only has 20mp. That would be a 12 mp jump. Its wishful thinking but there is truly no way the 7d iii or ANY aps-c camera will have anywhere near 30mp in the next year(s).

on top of that lenses just cant keep up with that. you get far far far better results upgrading your lens then to get a few mp more on a new sensor. Not even the 12.000 dollar big whites reach maximum sharpness on aps-c sensors.

Upvote 0
Can someone remind me when the certification for EOS R was posted ... because I can remember quite a bit a of surprise when that camera was announced?
It does beg the question how reliable are these certification leeks when predicting future releases.

i just looked and the last updated certification list was from August 17th. I dont know if it included the eos R.
https://www.canonrumors.com/updated-modules-registered-for-certification/

so there is still a chance. a little spark of hope. But the list of certifications for 2019 was already six or more cameras. I dont know
if there is still room for a 7d iii

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Why? Because it doesn't support your laughable "end of EF" conspiracy theories?

:rolleyes:

Where's the "Ignore User" button when you need it..?
Because I've never really seen the point of the 7D series. In terms of size The 7D is about as big as a 5D, but the sensors have been less than stellar. And I've never seen any shots that prove a cropped sensor actually provides more reach.

There are more than enough threads about Canon's plans for the EF mount. Go to one of those and I'll be happy to continue that discussion.

Keith, I'm glad you think something I wrote is laughable. You obviously need a good laugh now and then. I hope it lightened your mood!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Looking at the timeline, the 7D line is being refreshed at a slower rate. At least it just means that it may receive a bigger upgrade later down the line.

One of these bodies could have a more advanced AF system and shooting speed being close to the 7D Mark II while also gaining much better video quality and features, so it may prove to be an overall upgrade for some people, but the body won't be as tough.

Upvote 0
Because I've never really seen the point of the 7D series. In terms of size The 7D is about as big as a 5D, but the sensors have been less than stellar. And I've never seen any shots that prove a cropped sensor actually provides more reach.

The original 7D was the first professional APS-C camera and had the best sensor at the time. It was a general purpose camera that handled everything well, with fast shooting for sports and high resolution for range.
The next generation moved the line in a more sports oriented direction, which compromised.sensor performance for speed, and I think was a mistake.
I hope any 7D III moves back to being a general purpose camera with the best sensor Canon has in APS-C.

And if you haven't seen the reach advantage provided by smaller high resolution sensors on ILC then you just haven't been looking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
on top of that lenses just cant keep up with that. you get far far far better results upgrading your lens then to get a few mp more on a new sensor. Not even the 12.000 dollar big whites reach maximum sharpness on aps-c sensors.

Sorry, Cryve, that theory is not borne out in practice - my 7D Mk II/500mm f/4 Mk II combo is ridiculously sharp.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Because I've never really seen the point of the 7D series. In terms of size The 7D is about as big as a 5D, but the sensors have been less than stellar.
So when you wrote "big deal", you meant "I don't understand anything about the subject under discussion, but I'm going to comment anyway..."

Uh-huh...

How about you contribute only when you actually have at least a basic grasp of the point?

And I've never seen any shots that prove a cropped sensor actually provides more reach.

Jeez...

Is it, is it not, true that for a given distance to subject and focal length, a subject will appear larger in the frame of an image from a crop camera than from a full-frame? (The direct inverse of the fact that a full frame sensor is "wider" than a crop sensor")?

There's your reach..!

You're right - you really don't understand this stuff.

Upvote 0