No 7d iii in 2019!

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Do you think that Canon will make a high megapixel FF sensor with fast enough AF in the near future? I would have thought a fast 20 mpx APS-C would be more likely.
I can't even speculate on what sensor tech Canon is sitting on or working on...But your question does raise another interesting question: Will Canon offer a cropped version of the EOS R or just leave APS-C mirrorless to the M bodies? In other words, a 7D equivalent as a mirrorless? (Fast FPS, rugged.) And would that open the door to yet another line of lenses, "RF-s" as cheaper, smaller options?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
But that's my point, that is all incremental, it would all be nice to have and in an incremental update you will get some of it, but none of it is a "big deal".

True. But it that case you would have to say the NOTHING is a big deal. Everything is incremental. Why would anyone EVER upgrade to another camera?These are features that would make a difference to a photographer that skill alone could not achieve. In some cases, quite noticable differences. Far bigger differences than moving to a mirrorless could make. Far bigger differences than moving to an equivalently priced FF could make. The 7d2 is a professional camera despite being apsc. It is an incredible bit of kit but many photographers are not in a position to understand just how good it is. There is very little that can be improved on it and atm the only way to get a better bit of kit for the same job would be to spend 25k on a 1d series body and big white. So any improvement on a setup that would only cost 3k would be much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The sensor is the most important if not the only one that needs an improvement in 7DII. And I am not paranoid. I think that even if Canon includes it's latest (2016+) sensor technology (and probably remove the AA filter) it would be just fine. Other important and doable upgrade points would be an AF system with all points working at f/8 and bigger buffer. 10fps and 20Mpixel seem just OK to me..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The sensor is the most important if not the only one that needs and improvement in 7DII. And I am not paranoid. I think that even if Canon includes it's latest (2016+) sensor technology (and probably remove the AA filter) it would be just fine. Other important and doable upgrade points would be an AF system with all points working at f/8 and bigger buffer. 10fps and 20Mpixel seem just OK to me..

jeah, i agree with you and 20mp is totaly fine. the 21mp d500 takes sharper pictures than the 24mp d7200 because it doesnt have an aa filter.

They have to release a new sensor eventualy and i beleve it is gonna be a 24mp sensor, so that the "90d" and the 7diii can share it, just like the 7dii and 70d do.
Canon wants to be economical, i dont think they will make an extra sensor just for the 7d iii.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
True. But it that case you would have to say the NOTHING is a big deal.
Exactly. Things like affordable FF digital sensors, 4K video (love it or hate it) are big deals if you need or want that functionality, it seems nobody can list a 7D MkIII feature that would be that big deal.

I was just interested in what those that are clamoring for a 7D MkIII considered a "big deal". We have to be honest, DSLR's are mature products, cameras and imaging products might have a long way to go but for the DSLR advocates out there we probably need to be thinking that there aren't any more 'big deal' moments out there for us just modest increments. Another stop of DR, a couple of fps, tweaked AF algorithms and illuminated buttons aren't going to make an iotas difference for most 7D MkII users and would elicit the usual DOA/I'm jumping ship/Sony have been doing that for years catcalls.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Exactly. Things like affordable FF digital sensors, 4K video (love it or hate it) are big deals if you need or want that functionality, it seems nobody can list a 7D MkIII feature that would be that big deal.

I was just interested in what those that are clamoring for a 7D MkIII considered a "big deal". We have to be honest, DSLR's are mature products, cameras and imaging products might have a long way to go but for the DSLR advocates out there we probably need to be thinking that there aren't any more 'big deal' moments out there for us just modest increments. Another stop of DR, a couple of fps, tweaked AF algorithms and illuminated buttons aren't going to make an iotas difference for most 7D MkII users and would elicit the usual DOA/I'm jumping ship/Sony have been doing that for years catcalls.
I do not think so. I believe that 7DII users have some special needs (like birding) and at least in this Forum you saw 7DII users caring for the most important thing like sensor IQ and not much about bells and whistles. I have never cared about Sony (well except in the past for their walkmans, mini disks, etc) and I cannot think of a Sony camera as a direct competitor to 7DII. Maybe Nikon's D500 (especially with the latest 500 5.6 lens) for people who have no serious investment in Canon lenses but not Sony.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I do not think so. I believe that 7DII users have some special needs (like birding) and at least in this Forum you saw 7DII users caring for the most important thing like sensor IQ and not much about bells and whistles. I have never cared about Sony (well except in the past for their walkmans, mini disks, etc) and I cannot think of a Sony camera as a direct competitor to 7DII. Maybe Nikon's D500 (especially with the latest 500 5.6 lens) for people who have no serious investment in Canon lenses but not Sony.

I have to agree with PBD and think his point of asking what would be a big deal from those knocking incremental updates is a valid question. I myself would like to know that because I am ignorant as to what would be the special needs. I don't shoot birds anymore, but I used to. I don't shoot sports anymore either. But I would like to know what the big improvements might be because those improvements might carry over into a camera of the future that I might use for what I do (mostly portraits and fashion / editorial). A lot of things people get upset over are not a big deal and I think some people really do believe that if they got what they want in an update will make them better photographers. That isn't true.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I have to agree with PBD and think his point of asking what would be a big deal from those knocking incremental updates is a valid question. I myself would like to know that because I am ignorant as to what would be the special needs. I don't shoot birds anymore, but I used to. I don't shoot sports anymore either. But I would like to know what the big improvements might be because those improvements might carry over into a camera of the future that I might use for what I do (mostly portraits and fashion / editorial). A lot of things people get upset over are not a big deal and I think some people really do believe that if they got what they want in an update will make them better photographers. That isn't true.
I got over the IQ by getting the 5DsR. It gets me better images below ISO 1000 and I am able to remove the noise by one-stage process. Back when I was using 7DII I had to use two denoising programs to achieve a similar result. So no better photographs but much simpler Post Processing for me. I already mentioned that I do not need other things like better video or tilting screen or more megapixels or more fps. It is just that 5DsR is more suitable for still subjects that makes me wish for 7DIII.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I got over the IQ by getting the 5DsR. It gets me better images below ISO 1000 and I am able to remove the noise by one-stage process. Back when I was using 7DII I had to use two denoising programs to achieve a similar result. So no better photographs but much simpler Post Processing for me. I already mentioned that I do not need other things like better video or tilting screen or more megapixels or more fps.

I always wondered whether I might need a 5DsR type camera. That might be the case in the future for me.

I shot birds with the 70D and it was "okay". I just think I sucked at shooting birds. At the time I lived in the desert and it was very hard to get close without spooking them. There were some local golf courses full of waterfowl, especially in the winter. But there was also always a horrific glare I could never get over. People are far more variable in how they look so I think that's why I took that route. Far easier. ;) Birds are really tough.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
And I am one of 7DII users (although less now since I mostly use 5DsR) that does not consider jumping ship at all! Some whine but do not actually use their equipment. My 7DII must have gotten more than 50K clicks before I switched to 5DsR and it got me many good shots in combination with 400 DO II and 500 II lenses. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If you'd read the thread you'd realize that makes no sense. You say the only thing that will make a 'big deal' moment for the majority of 7D MkII users in a 7D MkIII would be increased IQ. I already posted that the majority of 7D mkII users are not shooting below 400iso and that is the only area where you are going to see actual visible IQ improvements with current sensor technology, the best APS-C sensors are no better (visually) than the 7D MkII is above 400iiso.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you'd read the thread you'd realize that makes no sense. You say the only thing that will make a 'big deal' moment for the majority of 7D MkII users in a 7D MkIII would be increased IQ. I already posted that the majority of 7D mkII users are not shooting below 400iso and that is the only area where you are going to see actual visible IQ improvements with current sensor technology, the best APS-C sensors are no better (visually) than the 7D MkII is above 400iiso.

If you had read my posts and tron's you would see that both of us find that the 5DSR with its absence of an AA-filter has better IQ than the 7DII. And that is not just below iso400 but goes up to iso 1000 or more.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I didn't say that there are other APS-C sensors better now. I cannot/don't know. I mentioned that up to about ISO 1000 5DsR (which has the same pixel density with 7DII) is better than 7DII (at pixel level) which makes Post Processing much easier for me. So since at the same pixel level there is already a better Canon sensor since 2015 they could also include 5DIV's sensor technology in future 5DsRII and 7DIII cameras. In such context a 7DIII would have visible IQ improvements in general and not only below ISO 400.

Upvote 0
There are so many things that could be improved that make a big difference to most people, even though it seems small when you look at each individually.

Body:
Variangle screen
touch-functunality
higher resolution screen
Iluminated buttons
faster, better silent shutter
better buffer
(maybe: 12 fps)

Focussing system:
Wider af coverage
better low light focus
fokus at f8 for all points
more accurate focus

Image sensor:
no aa filter
litte mp bumb (22 or 24)
better dynamik range
better high iso performance (achivable trough bsi or even better proccesing: double digit 8 proccesors)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Wouldn't it be really nice to know the future ... or not. I was never more enthused about an upcoming camera than the 7D2 and was hard pressed to bow out but glad I did. I bought a used 1D4 instead thanks to Edward Lang and came to appreciate certain 1 level features. A 1 level camera with more MP was my desire and maybe the Rx will be the prescription for my gas.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
There are so many things that could be improved that make a big difference to most people, even though it seems small when you look at each individually.

better high iso performance (achivable trough bsi or even better proccesing: double digit 8 proccesors)

A must for the uses most associated with the camera.

Jack

Upvote 0