No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
If you want the latest cutting edge, go get Olympus.
Now that's interesting to read in such a forum, normally I'd expect "Sony" in such a comment. But I agree, Olympus always made very nice cameras. Their technology isn't corrupted, like their management was :devilish:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Between the Olympics and a US presidential election, it would be prime time to deliver a workhorse camera.
For the US elections nowadays a photojournalist definitely needs a spit-proof gear ;):p so Canon will have to implement their best weather sealing in a ML pro body. Should be feasible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Why not? Compared to when I started shooting digital, the files are like 3-4x bigger... and the card storage is literally 1000x bigger.

And swapping cards takes, what, five seconds? I can see it'd be a problem if you're trying to document something longer on video that doesn't have intermissions, but for stills photography, what is the killer requirement nowadays for dual slot?
Card B can be a mirror of Card A. Essential for those who can't afford to lose images due to card failure. Wedding photographers, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
honestly I wish they'd simplify their lineup.. fewer models, mo
No-one knows for sure, but I would suspect that a 1D Xiii will come soon - it needs to be ready for the 2020 olympics, so end of 2019, early 2020 would make sense. They could be referring to that?

Alternatively, we've heard rumours that the APS-C line will get a shakeup, and the obvious delays on refreshing the 80D and 7Dii could mean that those two lines meet somewhere in the middle. I wonder if the 7D is too professional for Canon's liking considering their significant investments into the full frame arena, and want to move the 7D series down and merge with the 80D as the highest end APS-C available. I could see a new line come out at the top of APS-C maybe? Who knows!

I wish they'd consolidate their lines more as well. There must be costs involved with the 'entry vs amateur vs pro vs crop vs full frame vs high megapixel vs etc' I wish they'd take the cost savings from fewer lines and sell more cost effective kick ass full featured (vs weird segmentation decisions) cameras. I know this has been successful for them, but it annoys me :) (yes I know they don't care, they're a company). just putting my 2c in.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
honestly I wish they'd simplify their lineup.. fewer models, mo

I wish they'd consolidate their lines more as well. There must be costs involved with the 'entry vs amateur vs pro vs crop vs full frame vs high megapixel vs etc' I wish they'd take the cost savings from fewer lines and sell more cost effective kick ass full featured (vs weird segmentation decisions) cameras. I know this has been successful for them, but it annoys me :) (yes I know they don't care, they're a company). just putting my 2c in.

I've never understood this sentiment. I suspect that manufacturing efficiencies are such that the marginal cost of each different model is minimal. I have no doubt Canon has done sufficient market research to know how many different models they need to produce to generate the most profit. If there were net cost savings to be had by consolidating lines, they would consolidate lines.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
it has an impact as in the data the sensor gets can be used constantly now, instead of only when the mirror is up. the massive amounts of data that the sensor captures in modern MILC can then be used for things like ai tracking etc.
Sure. So lock the mirror up and use that data.

Sometimes having an optical VF makes an impact, for example shooting in low light and/or for extended periods of time. Sometimes having large AF sensors, with dedicated geometries not saddled with arrays filtering out most light, makes a difference

SLR can be used with every feature of MILC, including EVF, except “not having a mirror” (if that’s a feature). The opposite is not also true.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm thinking the 80D line is done. T8i or 7D Mark III will probably be the next APS-C camera.

As I recall, the actual rumor on this was vague (and it was a rumor). It's very hard to "downmarket" a model. Remember the outrage that occurred when Canon took the 50D down to the 60D (and they did that only after they had already introduced the 7D). I think the most logical move would be to merge the 77D and the 80D and keep the 7D positioned as a mini-1Dx.

Upvote 0
i just put it out there as a possibility, but jeah its far too early for that. But what else could be meant with a "high end" dslr?

i can only see a 7d iii
the 80d series will probably be killed off and will be /is already replaced with the m50 (series)
that would be the m5 mark ii not m50..

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I've never understood this sentiment. I suspect that manufacturing efficiencies are such that the marginal cost of each different model is minimal. I have no doubt Canon has done sufficient market research to know how many different models they need to produce to generate the most profit. If there were net cost savings to be had by consolidating lines, they would consolidate lines.

You're right they probably have, but at a high level there must costs for developing different processors (digics, autofocus etc), different layouts (joysticks, touch bars, dials), different software (magic lantern proves they change this a fair bit, but think along different code to write, different software features some have, some don't), different cases (each must accomodate the different internal components, some are plastic, some are magnesium), different accessories (flash and how each behaves slightly differently, remote controls, intervalumeters, different outputs, etc). Different sensors too!Not to mention the different marketting etc.

You'd think it'd be less cost if they rolled features into fewer bodies and it'd give people more stuff, for similar price.. but meh.. capitalism :)

Upvote 0
... Many photogs simply aren't gonna place their bets on a camera with one card slot. ...
Why not? I have seen here several people complaining that pros need two card slots and always mentioning that reliability is an issue (i.e. probability of losing pictures taken due to card failure). From reliability perspective, "a system is never better than its weakest link". If the alleged pro photog thinks the weakest link in his/her photo shooting business is "single card slot" then she/he will definitely go and get a memory card with the best quality possible rather than mourning for one card slot in the camera that he/she has.

Upvote 0
I don't do video, so I don't care about no 24p mode, but the RP is a lot of fun to shoot with. It seems to be more responsive than the m50, which is strange since it's the same Digic 8, same LCD and same EVF and 2 more megapixels. As you can see below, one is more easy to bring on a trip than the other :)

View attachment 183598

Cool photo, behind the camera with the "mini 50mm equiv red ring lens without red ring"!
And you have done it what a lot of people say is insane: You put very expensive lens on a "cheap" camera. IMO fine - reminds me on Leica's "The lenses are the eyes of your camera" which is a good starting point for choosing lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
shorter film-flange distance opens up a new world of lens design. You don't need retrofocus any more. The RF 50/1.2 or RF 28-70/2.0 simply aren't possible with SLR-style 44mm film-flange.

Also, while Canon's not going there yet, mirrorless can be more compact for given quality. I could get my EOS M+22/2 in my jeans pocket. Granted, a small-sensor, but you couldn't put small-sensor SLRs in your pocket. A 35/2 without IS or macro would be a pancake lens for the R. For travel photography size matters: the SLR shot looks like a cell phone picture, because it is a cell phone picture, because you left the SLR in the hotel...

Finally, while I take your point that you could make an SLR out of any mirrorless body by adding the mirror box, it's always going to be more expensive to do so.

So, yes, other than size, cost, and lens designs, SLRs can do everything that MILFFs can. But those are three pretty important concerns to most people.

Sure, you can design things differently. I was meaning from a functionality standpoint.

• Sad
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Why not? I have seen here several people complaining that pros need two card slots and always mentioning that reliability is an issue (i.e. probability of losing pictures taken due to card failure). From reliability perspective, "a system is never better than its weakest link". If the alleged pro photog thinks the weakest link in his/her photo shooting business is "single card slot" then she/he will definitely go and get a memory card with the best quality possible rather than mourning for one card slot in the camera that he/she has.
Even the very best storage mediums can fail. Having two standard cards is much safer than having one very expensive card.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Ok, no bodies but what about firmware updates for the R line? I really hope Canon will improve the existing features and/or add some more to make it an even better camera. That might be enough to convince me to upgrade to the R line...been almost a year since I wanted to upgrade but holding out because I want a proper upgrade to the 5DIV (dslr or mirrorless...don't care which).
The R got one firmware update in February, which fixed a handful of bugs and added the ability to use silent shutter in continuous shooting mode. It was said the R is scheduled to get a "major" firmware update before the end of March which would add some features (such as eye detect AF in servo mode), but that deadline is swiftly approaching. Not sure what else they might add. Overall, I wouldn't count on Canon adding many features beyond this first "major" firmware update...but...I'd be more than happy to be wrong.

Upvote 0
Even the very best storage mediums can fail. Having two standard cards is much safer than having one very expensive card.
That is true. But, we have only one heart and no redundancy there, so it may fail, and cause death. But do you complain that why we have only one heart?
Similarly, in engineering design we work with probability of failure as a measure of reliability. A design decision for the weakest link in the design is to find a compromise between the cost of adding redundancy and the probabilistic gain of improving reliability. Are you sure that a signle card slot is the weakest link in the design of the R? and even if it is, the decision may be that the gain is negligible vs. the cost. After 30 years of using Canon's cameras and lenses, I have learnt to at least rely on Canon's decision on reliability of the products designed and offered.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

True...but, I strongly suspect that the great two-card slot debate gets a lot more attention on this forum than it does in real life. It would be interesting to see how many photographers actually set their cameras to shoot and save to both cards. I suspect it is like AFMA. A lot of photographers know they should probably do it, but very few working pros actually do.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Cool photo, behind the camera with the "mini 50mm equiv red ring lens without red ring"!
And you have done it what a lot of people say is insane: You put very expensive lens on a "cheap" camera. IMO fine - reminds me on Leica's "The lenses are the eyes of your camera" which is a good starting point for choosing lenses.

I must admit that the 50mm isn't mine, there's a promotion going on here where you can rent the R or RP plus lenses for free for a week. Four days into the rental period I decided the order the RP. From now till sunday I'll have 2 RPs to play with.
I am going to save up for a copy of my own, but that will take a while :)

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
That is true. But, we have only one heart and no redundancy there, so it may fail, and cause death. But do you complain that why we have only one heart?
Similarly, in engineering design we work with probability of failure as a measure of reliability. A design decision for the weakest link in the design is to find a compromise between the cost of adding redundancy and the probabilistic gain of improving reliability. Are you sure that a signle card slot is the weakest link in the design of the R? and even if it is, the decision may be that the gain is negligible vs. the cost. After 30 years of using Canon's cameras and lenses, I have learnt to at least rely on Canon's decision on reliability of the products designed and offered.
I fully understand your point. I'm not the most qualified person to debate this, as I'm not a pro shooter and, personally, do not need dual card slots. I also cannot say with any certainty that the single card slot is the weakest link within the R...it could be the shutter for all I know. However, I am quite cognizant of the failure potential of storage devices. I have not had a SD card fail on me, but I'm approaching my answers from the perspective of a wedding photographer, who would (or, should) be very concerned regarding the possibility of card failure. So while I have no control over having one heart, as you gave as an example, I do have control over the number of cameras, lenses, batteries, and card slots I utilize (I'd have more than one of each). Personally, if I were in this profession, I would not be able to justify my primary camera having a single card slot. The associated cost is minimal (if we're talking R vs A7 III, there's actually a cost savings), and the reputation of my business would not be worth risking in this scenario. All that said, I love my R, single card slot and all. :)

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
A lot of photographers know they should probably do it, but very few working pros actually do.

I would think that it's the working pros who use both cards, and the advanced amateurs who don't.

I do use both card slots (I have the feature now so why not?) but I've also switched to single card writes when pressed for space.

Upvote 0