No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

I'm one of the recent additions to those sales numbers. I had been holding off on a purchase until I knew what other options would be released. All this talk of the R not being a proper "pro-level" body (whatever that means at this point) had been something that had delayed my decision to pull the trigger on the R.

For context, I'm a full time food and product photographer (who occasionally needs to do environmental portrait work for clients). I also enjoy travel photography for fun. I've been shooting mostly on a 6D, which was an absolute bargain when it came out compared to the 5Diii, and continued to do the job. So for me, the EOS R is a step up in pretty much every single conceivable way, and yet again at a great price point in comparison to the 5Div.

The R has been an absolute joy to use. I don't shoot fast action where I need crazy frame rates with continuous autofocus, and I've never used a second card slot (although testing the R's instant smartphone backup, it definitely would give me ample peace of mind in any situation that would call for one). It's a brilliant camera, with only a few minor compromises when compared to the competition out there (I'd have loved 120p at full HD). Over the weeks, I've customised it to be perfect for my needs, and now that the muscle memory is building up, it's fantastic in the hands.

I cannot get my head around all the people saying the new lenses are wasted on the R body, which supposedly can't make best use of them. Were these same people saying that the 6D and 5D series were unsuitable for Canon's top L lenses? It's a 5Div sensor in the R for crying out loud! It has some of Canon's best 1080p video quality, it has a phenomenal EVF that completely changed my mind about EVFs. In what way, exactly are lenses and number of card slots related?

To all these naysayers: Yes, I understand your frustrations. We all hoped for something truly revolutionary. But rent an EOS R for a week, and you might be surprised. I very unenthusiastically made my purchase, but it's quickly become my firm favourite.

This is all nice to hear. Nothing about the R is really keeping me from picking one up except timing. I can't really spend the money right now and I'm wary of picking up a new body right before a trip. But the R is definitely a possibility for me later in the year and hearing your take on it is great.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The R has been an absolute joy to use. I don't shoot fast action where I need crazy frame rates with continuous autofocus, and I've never used a second card slot (although testing the R's instant smartphone backup, it definitely would give me ample peace of mind in any situation that would call for one). It's a brilliant camera, with only a few minor compromises when compared to the competition out there (I'd have loved 120p at full HD). Over the weeks, I've customised it to be perfect for my needs, and now that the muscle memory is building up, it's fantastic in the hands.

I cannot get my head around all the people saying the new lenses are wasted on the R body, which supposedly can't make best use of them. Were these same people saying that the 6D and 5D series were unsuitable for Canon's top L lenses? It's a 5Div sensor in the R for crying out loud! It has some of Canon's best 1080p video quality, it has a phenomenal EVF that completely changed my mind about EVFs. In what way, exactly are lenses and number of card slots related?
I think the camera itself is very powerful, feels good in the hands, and the RF lenses are definitely not wasted on it, but I think the controls are somewhat quirky (I despise the mode button and the photo/video switch and the touchbar, I only try to make button functions useful, as the swipe is unusable) and don't work as intuitively as their DSLRs (even though it didn't get the same 'treatment' as the RP, it still 'designed' to be lower-end than a 5D IV, unfortunately) and it will probably be fixed in a higher-end model.

I also don't know why some people rate the EVF so highly, as I really am not finding that. I mean, it is pretty good, I just don't feel it is that amazing(especially with the long blackout time), it is just not as crap as other EVFs in Canon cameras(generally I think it is hyped up too much with all mirrorless cameras), I image the Leica SL or Panasonic S1 beating it easily. Yes, it is pretty big, so it is very good in that regard, but it has that barrel distortion and color shift depending on how I am looking at it, and I haven't seen anybody complaining about it. The LCD screen is really great, though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm honestly tired of this narrative. The EOS R and EOS RP are both selling exceptionally well considering there are only 4 native RF mount lenses currently available. Yes, Canon is behind in the segment, but within 2-3 years, they're going to have a full EOS R/RF system. They'll also be #1 in the segment by then as well.

The EOS R system has existed for 198 days and there are already 10 lenses and two bodies announced. They are well ahead of where Sony was when they launched the A7 series 1983 days ago and they're already way out front of Nikon as far as lenses go and sales.

I believe you´re tired, a lot of people saying the same thing, for so many time!! I am also tired! After 1 and half year after i have been "forced" to buy a Sony camera because Canon didn´t have anything near in the market, then the roadmap says i have to wait another 1 year to get something from Canon. I´m sorry, it´s just ridiculous. And yes i am angry, after 15 years buying Canon and LOVING their products, yes i am not happy. I am sorry about that! I believe that for those who only make photography this seems a lot strange because yes, for photography the EOS R is indeed a great camera! No question about this. But for guys who needs hybrid cameras, Canon is simply not an option...Unless you use the R with the Atomos. So please do understand that the imaging market changed a lot and unfortunately Canon didn´t see it coming until it was a little bit late.

In 2016, I was primarily a wildlife photographer. In my hole "photographer life" I was only doing photography. After 2016 i have started to do also vídeo...why? Because I could. The 7d mkII and the 5d mkIII were my first "video cameras"!! :) After that i have improved video skills and nowadays my anual incoming is 70% Vídeo works and 30% photography works. Why i just don´t invest in a video camera? Because i don´t want to go to the field with 3 cameras, because they are expensive and because i have in the market fantastic solutions in hybrid cameras!! And that´s why i am so sad....I LOVE Canon, I LOVE my 1dx mkII, i LOVE my 500mm F4, I love a lot of Canon products...but now i don´t have in Canon what i need in a hybrid camera!

Yes, they are recovering, the EOS R and RP for their segments are great cameras, but...what about who need a little bit more? Canon should work extremely hard to...at least equalize the competition, thats what i had expected...but ok. I will stick with the 1dx mkII and more than 10,000€ in lenses until October.

I heard someone answering me that 120fps in 720p is enough....Really???!!! Maybe for youtube or home videos! :) In these days, clients want 4k videos. Yes, I know is a little bit silly, but the client has the word!! Do you expect i put a 120fps 720p video in a 4k work? Of course not...1080p yes..i can. No less than that.

Well, i am sorry personally because i am always showing my insatisfaction....but please understand, i am a Canon Fan that is desperate not to change....but i can´t wait forever, market don´t wait! And for those who are thinking....Come on, you can make great jogs even with the eos 5d mkIII. Yes, I can, but that´s not what clients want. Simple...

Just want a A7r3 equivalent...just that! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
That is true. But, we have only one heart and no redundancy there, so it may fail, and cause death. But do you complain that why we have only one heart?
Similarly, in engineering design we work with probability of failure as a measure of reliability. A design decision for the weakest link in the design is to find a compromise between the cost of adding redundancy and the probabilistic gain of improving reliability. Are you sure that a signle card slot is the weakest link in the design of the R? and even if it is, the decision may be that the gain is negligible vs. the cost. After 30 years of using Canon's cameras and lenses, I have learnt to at least rely on Canon's decision on reliability of the products designed and offered.

agree mostly, but keep in mind Canon does not control the cards people purchase or how they are handled. So the camera and reader may be reliable, the cards themselves may not be. I say this even though I don't fall in the 'must have 2 slots' camp, never had it fail.. but also never had to NEED it not to fail.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I'm honestly tired of this narrative. The EOS R and EOS RP are both selling exceptionally well considering there are only 4 native RF mount lenses currently available. Yes, Canon is behind in the segment, but within 2-3 years, they're going to have a full EOS R/RF system. They'll also be #1 in the segment by then as well.

The EOS R system has existed for 198 days and there are already 10 lenses and two bodies announced. They are well ahead of where Sony was when they launched the A7 series 1983 days ago and they're already way out front of Nikon as far as lenses go and sales.

Personally I'm very pleased about the announcement.

I was hum-ing and hah-ing aboubt buying an EOS R but then I saw the rave reviews of the new Panasonic S1 - and in particular its glorious 5.6MP 120 fps "Real view finder".

I don't want to leave Canon .. I love Canon.

I would prefer that Canon take their time and come out with a spectacular camera ... IBIS, good eye-focus, 4k no crop and awesome top-tier viewfinder ... and a range of lenses - in particular the 24-70 and 70-200.

Moving to R is going to be a very, very costly operation for most of us and I'm only happy to do it if I feel I'm getting something above and beyond my wonderful 5D iv.

This announcement gets my hopes up that they are going to come up with something really good !

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....
Canon ain't behind. Untwist your skivvies. Goodbye Canon? Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I believe you´re tired, a lot of people saying the same thing, for so many time!! I am also tired! After 1 and half year after i have been "forced" to buy a Sony camera because Canon didn´t have anything near in the market, then the roadmap says i have to wait another 1 year to get something from Canon. I´m sorry, it´s just ridiculous. And yes i am angry, after 15 years buying Canon and LOVING their products, yes i am not happy. I am sorry about that! I believe that for those who only make photography this seems a lot strange because yes, for photography the EOS R is indeed a great camera! No question about this. But for guys who needs hybrid cameras, Canon is simply not an option...Unless you use the R with the Atomos. So please do understand that the imaging market changed a lot and unfortunately Canon didn´t see it coming until it was a little bit late.

In 2016, I was primarily a wildlife photographer. In my hole "photographer life" I was only doing photography. After 2016 i have started to do also vídeo...why? Because I could. The 7d mkII and the 5d mkIII were my first "video cameras"!! :) After that i have improved video skills and nowadays my anual incoming is 70% Vídeo works and 30% photography works. Why i just don´t invest in a video camera? Because i don´t want to go to the field with 3 cameras, because they are expensive and because i have in the market fantastic solutions in hybrid cameras!! And that´s why i am so sad....I LOVE Canon, I LOVE my 1dx mkII, i LOVE my 500mm F4, I love a lot of Canon products...but now i don´t have in Canon what i need in a hybrid camera!

Yes, they are recovering, the EOS R and RP for their segments are great cameras, but...what about who need a little bit more? Canon should work extremely hard to...at least equalize the competition, thats what i had expected...but ok. I will stick with the 1dx mkII and more than 10,000€ in lenses until October.

I heard someone answering me that 120fps in 720p is enough....Really???!!! Maybe for youtube or home videos! :) In these days, clients want 4k videos. Yes, I know is a little bit silly, but the client has the word!! Do you expect i put a 120fps 720p video in a 4k work? Of course not...1080p yes..i can. No less than that.

Well, i am sorry personally because i am always showing my insatisfaction....but please understand, i am a Canon Fan that is desperate not to change....but i can´t wait forever, market don´t wait! And for those who are thinking....Come on, you can make great jogs even with the eos 5d mkIII. Yes, I can, but that´s not what clients want. Simple...

Just want a A7r3 equivalent...just that! :)

First, your original rant did not mention video, so it's a bit unfair to come back and reveal that your only real concern is video.

How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....

I think many of us are willing to concede that for video, Canon's offerings are less than ideal. Although I can't confirm that firsthand, as I rarely shoot video and when I have, I have found the 1DxII and the 5DIV remarkable for the little afterthought clips that I use.

I do think your first post contains a truth in it.

If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!

They probably don't have a pro body that meets their standards. We all know Canon is conservative and they will "sell no wine before its time." 1Dx users would be very angry and vocal if Canon were to release a pro mirrorless body that does not meet or exceed the 1Dx on all accounts. So, I don't fault them for taking their time. Unfortunately, if you need it today, you will probably need to go with another brand. But, if I were you, I'd keep all my Canon lenses because I expect they will eventually have what you need.

Upvote 0
True...but, I strongly suspect that the great two-card slot debate gets a lot more attention on this forum than it does in real life. It would be interesting to see how many photographers actually set their cameras to shoot and save to both cards. I suspect it is like AFMA. A lot of photographers know they should probably do it, but very few working pros actually do.

<Raising and waving my arm>

Yes, I shoot to both card slots -and NOT RAW to one and jpeg to the other. My main body is a 5D IV and use it for anywhere from 1 to 7 or 8 real estate shoots each day. And DID return home once last year to find the SD card corrupted (it also happened several years ago on another camera) but thankfully that darned CF card was in there. Of course my a7III also has two (which is a great camera in certain situations, but just love shooting with the Canon more) and my 7D II which I owned before did as well.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Lenses ARE functionality. Size IS functionality. Price IS functionality.
Lenses are functionality. But you can design lenses differently to come up with similar or interchangeable functionality.

So far I haven’t seen any evidence that removing the mirror box affects price. Maybe in cameras without EVF? Then again I don’t really pay attention to the market that closely, I just buy what I want.

Size? Sure you can make something slightly smaller by removing the mirror. Significantly smaller? Not really.

That said, i take your points and I’ll revise my initial sentiments:

An SLR camera can execute every core photographic or video function that a mirrorless camera body can. A mirrorless camera body cannot execute every function an SLR can. There can be systematic differences which extend beyond core functions, including form and design options.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
<Raising and waving my arm>

Yes, I shoot to both card slots -and NOT RAW to one and jpeg to the other. My main body is a 5D IV and use it for anywhere from 1 to 7 or 8 real estate shoots each day. And DID return home once last year to find the SD card corrupted (it also happened several years ago on another camera) but thankfully that darned CF card was in there. Of course my a7III also has two (which is a great camera in certain situations, but just love shooting with the Canon more) and my 7D II which I owned before did as well.
If I am taking pictures at work and a card fails, it’s a big thing, unless it is something that can be restaged. If I am at home taking pictures of Fluffy and the card fails, nobody cares. If you are a wedding photographer with only one slot and your card fails, you get sued.

Your decision on having one or two slots is based on risk, but as far as the R cameras go it should be remembered that so far we have seen the lowest end of the scale. Complaining about the lack of a second card on the R is like complaining that the 6D2 does not have one. I am sure that higher members of the line will have dual slots

Upvote 0
First, your original rant did not mention video, so it's a bit unfair to come back and reveal that your only real concern is video.

I think many of us are willing to concede that for video, Canon's offerings are less than ideal. Although I can't confirm that firsthand, as I rarely shoot video and when I have, I have found the 1DxII and the 5DIV remarkable for the little afterthought clips that I use.

I do think your first post contains a truth in it.

They probably don't have a pro body that meets their standards. We all know Canon is conservative and they will "sell no wine before its time." 1Dx users would be very angry and vocal if Canon were to release a pro mirrorless body that does not meet or exceed the 1Dx on all accounts. So, I don't fault them for taking their time. Unfortunately, if you need it today, you will probably need to go with another brand. But, if I were you, I'd keep all my Canon lenses because I expect they will eventually have what you need.

Sorry about that, we have the tendency to give personal opinions about our needs, i forgot to mention that vídeo plays a big role to me. I´m sorry.

Understand everything what you´ve said. I am one of those who (of course) expecting something better than my already great 1dx mkII. I understand it takes time to develop cameras, my point is Canon needs to speed up a little bit, at least to match other brands. Canon EOS R was a big great first step! I was happy when the R came, i said to myself, "finally, Canon is back in the game!" I LOVE the adapters especially the ND one and if Canon lauches a great Pro body that will be my first choice in adapters. And here is my point that the lack of lenses cannot be an excuse no to launch a pro Body! We have hundreds of lenses we can use, even the EF-S ones!!

But then....Damn...EOS RP came to the road. I was expecting a more agressive move from Canon. RP is also a great camera for enthusiastics. No doubt on that. As i previous mentioned in other post..."Where are the sharks Canon? We need the sharks!!" And that´s only what´s lacking here in mirrorless models. Canon need time? Ok! But damn...I bought the Sony A7r3 in December 2017. In that time this was the camera that gave me the best of both worlds, photography and vídeo. I had at that time the 1dx mkII and i love the camera, but produces massive files with the MJPEG codec....I was tempted to buy a second one...for second body. The 5dmk IV would be my choice if they didn´t put 120fps at 720p. That was the primary mistake of Canon in that camera. The 5dS was great for stills, terrible for video...so no alternative option in Canon for vídeo. I got the Sony. Altough i love Canon, i have to admit, that the sony is a F***cking piece of equipment!!! However I loose a lot of things when filming with canon lenses (Ibis for example).

Well, so after almost 1 year and 5 months Canon couldn´t keep up the advance in hybrid. And now they say we need to wait one more year? Well...so I guess they are preparing something reallly good to jump one step in evolution. Problem is...jobs don´t wait! :D

I already describe my point so no need to keep discussing this "Canon issues" with a problem, or perspective that is mine, and solely mine. I understand if lots of you don´t have my problems, but if I discuss this is because we are in a forum (this is the point of internet forums right? :D ) were we can talk about Canon! And the talk cannot be only praising! We must describe what we feel, and what we need! I love to discuss photography, or video, always keeping in mind that conversations have 2 ways, our thoughts and other persons thoughts! Respect is the keyword so we can debate in a positive way. Not for you unfocused, this is for another answer. :)

Well, i may be unfair, I may want something that is not possible now....but, this are my expectations...and sadly, they are not fulfilled now...or in a close future i believe...

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
So far I haven’t seen any evidence that removing the mirror box affects price. Maybe in cameras without EVF? Then again I don’t really pay attention to the market that closely, I just buy what I want.

An SLR camera can execute every core photographic or video function that a mirrorless camera body can. A mirrorless camera body cannot execute every function an SLR can. There can be systematic differences which extend beyond core functions, including form and design options.
Rangefinders for the win! :)

I prefer my DSLRs with mirrors. For most of what I do, they just work better. But I mean, the mirrorless cameras are a win for the camera manufacturers, because I've gone and bought one, and I'm sure I'll buy more, while also buying DSLRs.

On the price front, since camera manufacturers have spent decades perfecting mirrorbox manufacturing, I think it's going to be a while before anyone sees any savings from going EVF - if indeed they are cheaper to produce in any meaningful way.

At the moment, I think I'm paying much more for R&D/engineering and markup than I am for cost of components and non-material manufacturing costs.

Upvote 0
Cards don’t just fail. They also get lost, damaged and stolen once they’ve been removed from the camera. When I travel I shoot to two cards which are always stored separately. If I don’t have two card slots I have to bring a backup gizmo which are also prone to failure. I’d much rather just have a small backup card wallet with my redundant SD cards in it. Even if I never lost another card, I’m so much more relaxed with a set of redundant cards. I worry constantly when all that stands between me and losing a months work is a single card. Lack of a second slot is a complete fail for me in any body I’d use for travel. It’s probably about $3 in parts so if Canon wants to attract 5D users they need to just add a second slot.
The second slot also allows me to write files to additional cards if needed. Either to share or to send home for extra redundancy.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I'm surprised. The High MP camera is not the one I want next. I'm waiting for a 5D IV replacement which seems now to be a long way off.
I'm still not sure why Canon is pushing pro lens without a pro camera.
The RP will sell well but it seems a camera to me that requires some cheaper lens.
Maybe by hinting at no more new cameras in 2019 they are trying to encourage sales of the existing mirrorless cameras.
I wonder is Canon haven't difficulty designing a more advanced mirrorless camera.

Upvote 0
Absolutely NOT. There are too many options available. Doesn't make sense for Canon to bypass wedding season for 2020 and release only pro level lenses without a pro body, placing there bets on a camera days before the Tokyo Olympics. My bet would be that Canon as usual is holding it's cards until this summer.
I 100% agree. Where is the money in our industry? Generally, its weddings. Certainly I make a lot of money in other areas too but it is one of the tops in general. When you make serious money in area, spending $3.5k on a body is not a huge issue if it brings a lot to the table. Personally, i absolutely adore the live view exposure and the face/eye AF. It is amazing for events. It is a serious plus.
Second, it will be a step for some people shooting fast action sports as it will undoubtedly have a faster servo mode and shutter speed. So it helps satisfy that low end sports segment too. Pro sports shooters have their 1DX mkII's and will wait for a great replacement but it rocks as it is.
Third, and just as important as the other reasons, Sony is having a large amount of success. Canon is back with the best competitive low end full frame mirrorless for entry level photographers or amateurs. But obviously, the 5DmkIV/A7rIII segment is missing and there is a lot of volume there amount the pros. They desperately need to fill that spot to stop the hemorrhaging to Sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I 100% agree. Where is the money in our industry? Generally, its weddings. Certainly I make a lot of money in other areas too but it is one of the tops in general. When you make serious money in area, spending $3.5k on a body is not a huge issue if it brings a lot to the table. Personally, i absolutely adore the live view exposure and the face/eye AF. It is amazing for events. It is a serious plus.
Second, it will be a step for some people shooting fast action sports as it will undoubtedly have a faster servo mode and shutter speed. So it helps satisfy that low end sports segment too. Pro sports shooters have their 1DX mkII's and will wait for a great replacement but it rocks as it is.
Third, and just as important as the other reasons, Sony is having a large amount of success. Canon is back with the best competitive low end full frame mirrorless for entry level photographers or amateurs. But obviously, the 5DmkIV/A7rIII segment is missing and there is a lot of volume there amount the pros. They desperately need to fill that spot to stop the hemorrhaging to Sony.

100% agree. 2019 Wedding season is upon us already. I'm renting a Canon and a Sony. I'm hoping to make it through this season without having to invest in a new body, but it's looking like I either need to invest, or rent as needed which gets expensive. If I need to invest, where do I go...?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
100% agree. 2019 Wedding season is upon us already. I'm renting a Canon and a Sony. I'm hoping to make it through this season without having to invest in a new body, but it's looking like I either need to invest, or rent as needed which gets expensive. If I need to invest, where do I go...?
The money is in large numbers of sales of lower end bodies :)

Upvote 0