No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

If you want the latest cutting edge, go get Olympus. I you want working reliably, go Canon. Many here want both, but they are mutually exclusive. Canon will be slow, but worth the wait.

I don't know. I tried MILC from all manufacturers on The Photography Show in Birmigham (UK) and Olympus was the biggest disappointment. I tried EM1X and its viewfinder was by far the worst from all the options. You could say immediately that you are looking on display. I was very impressed with quality viewfinder in EOS R and Panasonic S1. Fuji, Nikon and Sony were good as well but Olympus was immediate no-go for me. And that is a shame because from all MILC available in the market, I was most impressed with EM1X.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....

Fine to your future regret unless you are made of money. As stated before it took a couple of years for top end EF bodies to come out and people were laughing then too. But then Canon destroyed the competition as they didn't rush, weathered the storm (No idiot internet snowflakes complaining then) and dominated the market for the next over 30 years because they did it right not first.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I played with EOS R at The Photography Show in UK. I was very impressed. It feels great in hand, viewfinder is superb and speed of selecting focus point is faster then joystick on 5D4! It would be very nice replacement of my 6D - 2 card slots and servo focus capability are not a big deal since 6D have similar limitations. The only drawback was that I'm left eye dominant and my nose was exactly at the place where focus points are supposed to be controlled. I would probably need to force myself to use the right eye to have the best experience.

I was shocked by the size of RF lenses. 28-70? Man, that one is massive! They also had mockups of all RF lenses announced for this year on display. When it comes to L lenses, only 70-200 seemed like shrinking in size and hopefully also weight. I didn't have chance to ask questions since all Canon representatives were super busy and there were tons of people at their show area but I would not be surprised if new 24-70 had internal zoom. It looked really big. On the other hand I expect the new 70-200 to lose internal zoom since it looks more like current 70-300 L.

Upvote 0
I think the camera itself is very powerful, feels good in the hands, and the RF lenses are definitely not wasted on it, but I think the controls are somewhat quirky (I despise the mode button and the photo/video switch and the touchbar, I only try to make button functions useful, as the swipe is unusable) and don't work as intuitively as their DSLRs (even though it didn't get the same 'treatment' as the RP, it still 'designed' to be lower-end than a 5D IV, unfortunately) and it will probably be fixed in a higher-end model.

I also don't know why some people rate the EVF so highly, as I really am not finding that. I mean, it is pretty good, I just don't feel it is that amazing(especially with the long blackout time), it is just not as crap as other EVFs in Canon cameras(generally I think it is hyped up too much with all mirrorless cameras), I image the Leica SL or Panasonic S1 beating it easily. Yes, it is pretty big, so it is very good in that regard, but it has that barrel distortion and color shift depending on how I am looking at it, and I haven't seen anybody complaining about it. The LCD screen is really great, though.

I think quirky is definitely an accurate impression of the controls for the first day or so when I got my hands on one. For the first two weeks, almost every time I picked it up, I changed something in the button customisation. Now, the thing is a beast. I have every function I could need at my finger tips. I honestly wish I could export my full settings as a backup, because I must have changed pretty much every option at this point. If the camera were to hard-reset for any reason, It would actually take some time to get everything back to how I want it!

The mode button is a really weird one, that's defintely true. But I don't think it's actually any slower to operate than the previous design. The decision to remove the video switch was misguided, I would agree. Maybe it could be solved if they changed the dedicated video record button to serve that function, and recording stop-start could be mapped to the shutter button.

As for the touch bar, I would never in a million years set it to alter any of the image settings, such as ISO like a lot of people suggested when the camera was released. It's far too imprecise, and too easy to hit accidentally. I do, however, use it to great effect as a toggle for my histogram and my level, as well as swiping to zoom in/out for confirming focus. It works brilliantly for those functions. And in photo review, it serves as a dedicated rating button, which I love.

So all in all, after truly extensive customisation, I've surprised myself and have come to love the button layout. (although I wish someone at Canon would cop on and put the on/off switch within range of the right thumb, so I can turn the camera on with one hand while I lift it )

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
No, "lower end" means $400 kits in Best Buy, sold by the pallet load. Not $2300 bodies sold in ones and two.

Every time you remove a CF card you incrementally increase the risk of failure, by wearing the contacts and through thermal stress and condensation and weather exposure. Plus the risk of losing it. And of missing a shot because you're busy changing cards or hooking-up a card reader to a laptop to back it up.

So I guess it wasn’t smart for me to run my 256gb cf card through the was and dryer three times in the last two years? Oops.

Upvote 0
Glad I just bought two new Sony a7iiis and sold my EOSRs. Sad to say this, but Sony are way ahead of the game and the a7iii is the best camera on the market. The latest interviews with various Canon execs helped facilitate the full move to Sony.

The great thing with Sony is you don't have to angrily "sell all your Canon gear!". LOL Just buy an MC-11 and the whole Universe of Canon glass becomes available. Nearly all the functions work great when using my Canon lenses -ironically some of the more restricted are Sigma's own!

Having said that, while I love my a7III I still just plain enjoy shooting with my 5D IV more. I even prefer the overall image quality of the Canon when comparing equally sharp photos. When pixel peeping (which I do since I am buried in Photoshop hours a day) I compare the Canon image to a high quality piece of vinal and the Sony to a "perfect" 128k MP3. Yes, they are both digital, but the Canon has an overall more analog look to it. And no, not because it it "blurry" by any means.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Glad I just bought two new Sony a7iiis and sold my EOSRs. Sad to say this, but Sony are way ahead of the game and the a7iii is the best camera on the market. The latest interviews with various Canon execs helped facilitate the full move to Sony.
its great that you signed up to CR forums to tell us this. H&G.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
As for the touch bar, I would never in a million years set it to alter any of the image settings, such as ISO like a lot of people suggested when the camera was released. It's far too imprecise, and too easy to hit accidentally. I do, however, use it to great effect as a toggle for my histogram and my level, as well as swiping to zoom in/out for confirming focus. It works brilliantly for those functions. And in photo review, it serves as a dedicated rating button, which I love.

So all in all, after truly extensive customisation, I've surprised myself and have come to love the button layout. (although I wish someone at Canon would cop on and put the on/off switch within range of the right thumb, so I can turn the camera on with one hand while I lift it )
Thank you for your input. How do you set your ISO? When I link it to certain dials it refuses to go back to auto-ISO, only if it is set up from the M-Fn, if there was an auto-ISO kill-switch during setting it (just like with Fv), it would be a whole lot easier, that can't be hard to implement...
With a mode dial I just turn it between modes at any time (and I set up the custom modes in a way that they are linked, so C3 photo or video is Always one click of a switch, and not random depending where you just left them last time) and I see everything don't even have to turn on the camera to do it, with the top display I can see where I am actually at, but no idea about the other one, so I am not sure how much adjustment it will take. I guess I just have to use the touchscreen mode even though I don't want to when it wouldn't be needed (or the screen is folded away, etc.).
So I still think it is a stupid design (or, knowing Canon by now, a purposeful limitation, they don't want to be "too serious" about a hybrid camera anyway...) and they've made the mode button removable, why didn't they made some of the modes removable, so the rest could fit into one single list (actually, all would fit into a single screen as-is already...) with the order that I prefer, just like the M-Fn menu.
Silent mode is also great to have, but you can't just switch it on or off, it is not even in the Q Menu (but anti-flicker is...), but at least it can be linked to the Custom modes to change it a bit more quickly (so again, it has been left out deliberately, reminds me of a certain other manufacturer's earlier mirrorless cameras so I assume it will not be fixed with firmware but it will be fixed in the next model...)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018

Why did you buy the Rs at all then? The A7III was out well before the R, if you thought the R was worse you should have skipped it.

Upvote 0
You bought 2 Sonys and sold your EOS Rs (plural?). Then became a member of a Canon forum to brag about that? It seems you joined on 14th March.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Thank you for your input. How you set your ISO? When I link it to certain dials it refuses to go back to auto-ISO, only if it is set up from the M-Fn, if there was an auto-ISO kill-switch during setting it (just like with Fv), it would be a whole lot easier, that can't be hard to implement...
With a mode dial I just turn it between modes at any time (and I set up the custom modes in a way that they are linked, so C3 photo or video is Always one click of a switch, and not random depending where you just left them last time) and I see everything don't even have to turn on the camera to do it, with the top display I can see where I am actually at, but no idea about the other one, so I am not sure how much adjustment it will take. I guess I just have to use the touchscreen mode even though I don't want to when it wouldn't be needed (or the screen is folded away, etc.).
So I still think it is a stupid design (or, knowing Canon by now, a purposeful limitation, they don't want to be "too serious" about a hybrid camera anyway...) and they've made the mode button removable, why didn't they made some of the modes removable, so the rest could fit into one single list (actually, all would fit into a single screen as-is already...) with the order that I prefer, just like the M-Fn menu.
Silent mode is also great to have, but you can't just switch it on or off, it is not even in the Q Menu (but anti-flicker is...), but at least it can be linked to the Custom modes to change it a bit more quickly (so again, it has been left out deliberately, reminds me of a certain other manufacturer's earlier mirrorless cameras so I assume it will not be fixed with firmware but it will be fixed in the next model...)

The auto-ISO issue is a frustration all right. I'm lucky in that I don't use it often, but it's definitely my preferred auto mode, over AV or TV, as I always want to know exactly where those values are. I have ISO mapped to "hold the Set button and turn the shutter dial". This works really well for me, and it's something I have been using for years. But as you say, turning it all the way down doesn't change it to Auto. If I want Auto, I either have to use the M-Fn button, or the touch screen.

You're absolutely right about not being able to change the Mode with the camera off, that's a really good point. And yes, the top LCD is useless for knowing which direction you actually need to turn, and for how many clicks, until you get to the mode you want. Your thought about being able to remove and re-arrange mode options for the list would be brilliant, I would love that! It's far too cluttered at the moment. My current system is indeed to use the touch screen. I just press the Mode Button with my thumb (actually way easier to do than awkwardly contorting my index finger) and then make my selection from the touch screen.

As for all the other options I frequently use (Silent Shutter and the related Anti-Flickr, as well as EVF Brightness, etc), I have them set to my custom menus. I then changed the directional pad to Eco, Q, Menu, and Picture Profiles (I like to switch to B&W sometimes if I just want to focus on composition without being distracted by colour). Being able to access the Menu with my right thumb while my eye is to the viewfinder is what makes the custom menus much more accessible for me. Especially as pushing Menu automatically takes me to the last setting I had selected, so it's really quick to turn something on or off. Having Eco mode on when I'm just on a walkabout is nice to save battery, but I need to be able to turn it off quickly if I actually want to spend time working on a shot. But if I find myself missing another function, I'd be happy enough to swap Eco out.

I have the other buttons on the back of the camera set to AF-Off (I use the reverse of Back-Button Focus), Servo/One Shot toggle, and AF Method (to swap between Single Point and Tracking). To set Drive Mode, I use the M-Fn button.

That's my set-up anyway! It might get tweaked a bit more, but so far I'm really liking it!

Upvote 0

Ooops. I thought everything is solved with on sensor AF but at least Nikon has't solved the problem. Maybe Canon has discovered the same and we have to wait for the next mirrorless bodies because they implement AFMA ...

But the intrinsic advantage of DPAF is that the whole sensor area can be used for AF and I really like the small AF points (selectable) of the M50 which give a very precise region where the AF has to operate, much smaller than the DSLR AF "points" which are substantially larger than the indicators in the viewfinder. Only disadvantage: doesn't work in low light -> use larger AF "points" where AF acquisition is based on more dual pixel cells which mitigates noise and might include more detail to focus on.

Upvote 0
There is still an off chance that an announcement could come in late 2019, but we think Canon will hold off until the CP+ show next February.

I haven't read all the thread but would like to express my utter disappointment. Not only I'm not getting so much anticipated camera, but also there will be nothing to read and discuss on this forum until the end of the year. I'm switching to Sony rumours site... :/

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I haven't read all the thread but would like to express my utter disappointment. Not only I'm not getting so much anticipated camera, but also there will be nothing to read and discuss on this forum until the end of the year. I'm switching to Sony rumours site... :/
Because there's nothing at all going on in the Canon Universe besides a ML camera body.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I think that the lack of camera will increase the amount of speculation and there will be more to read. After all, this is post #149 on an article saying that nothing is happening :)

• Haha
Upvote 0