No new EOS R body shipping in 2019 [CR2]

As long as we're dreaming…

Dreaming? You really think I'm dreaming? Are you saying that…
• IBIS is never going to happen? That one is not really important for me, so…
• great low light sensitivity is impossible to obtain? That, I really want. I often take pictures in low light situations, and that can be a struggle.
• AF can't get even better? I tried the eye tracking fonction and loved the idea of it. Now, I wish I could have a camera that quickly grabs my subject and follows it in burst mode.
• 8.5 fps is impossible? My 2004 camera does that and the 7D goes up to 10 fps…

Anybody else thinks I'm waiting for something that will never come? In a robust camera?

See, if I come to the conclusion that I'm waiting for nothing, I'll simply by the RP and be done with it.

By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english, it is not a language I use frequently.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Dreaming? You really think I'm dreaming? Are you saying that…
• IBIS is never going to happen? That one is not really important for me, so…
• great low light sensitivity is impossible to obtain? That, I really want. I often take pictures in low light situations, and that can be a struggle.
• AF can't get even better? I tried the eye tracking fonction and loved the idea of it. Now, I wish I could have a camera that quickly grabs my subject and follows it in burst mode.
• 8.5 fps is impossible? My 2004 camera does that and the 7D goes up to 10 fps…

Anybody else thinks I'm waiting for something that will never come? In a robust camera?

See, if I come to the conclusion that I'm waiting for nothing, I'll simply by the RP and be done with it.

By the way, I'm sorry for my poor english, it is not a language I use frequently.
that's not the camera that got pushed back (in theory) .. this is the high resolution model.
so you're potentially dreaming that canon is going to release this one next.

your camera isn't going to come out for a long time. canon already basically illuded to that.

the person you're responding to was smoking something if he thought that the global shutter in question added an additional 7EV DR for stills lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I’m sitting on a comfortable chair in a hunting blind during a snowstorm, and even though I have an obsolete mirrorslapper with an articulated screen (forum logic says it could break off any second), I can still take pictures of a punk chickadee.....

So yes, nothing is coming out soon in Canon Mirrorless Land, so go out and shoot with what you have!183616183615

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
True...but, I strongly suspect that the great two-card slot debate gets a lot more attention on this forum than it does in real life. It would be interesting to see how many photographers actually set their cameras to shoot and save to both cards. I suspect it is like AFMA. A lot of photographers know they should probably do it, but very few working pros actually do.
I have had a dual slot camera since the 1DmkII. I almost never used two cards even though I was a working pro. I did use two cards on occasion when I was very concerned about reliability but I never had a card failure.
I DID have card failures three times over the years but never total card failures with total loss of files. Rather it was single file corruption and as I had multiple frames I did not suffer a loss.
A few years ago I started using two cards all the time. I STILL have not had even a partial failure (shooting 2k-5k frames a month) but I feel very nervous if I venture out without a second card in the slot.

Anecdotally, I have heard about photographers claiming card failure as an excuse for not delivering images that were so bad they were ashamed to show them.
I have zero idea as to the frequency of this but I am confident it exceeds once.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How come this can be interpreted has...."normal" or without surprise? Canon is 3 years behind! They have answered to a change in the market in a terrible slower way! In the same way How come the lenses can serve as an excuse?? No way!! RF adapters and the existing lenses can give Canon the confidence to launch a Pro body! If they don´t launch it is because they don´t have it!
I don´t believe i am saying this.....but i see the good bye Canon, closer and closer....

I would note that your passion on the issue is a balm to Canon as they know you will most likely to be the first to pull the trigger on the next body irrespective of price.
Most Canon users are unlikely to switch as they are either indifferent to the issues raised on these boards or are so deep into Canon glass and bodies they can't leave short of an expensive exit.
The only way I could leave without taking a bath on my gear would be to switch to Fuji, Oly, or Panasonic. All decent cameras but not likely to give me any advantages beyond portability. Arguably the differences in IQ to go to Nikon or Sony (SoKon?) are small enough that I would be paying a steep premium for something my clients can't see. Except, of course, for my fumbling and cursing my new gear.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I would note that your passion on the issue is a balm to Canon as they know you will most likely to be the first to pull the trigger on the next body irrespective of price.
Most Canon users are unlikely to switch as they are either indifferent to the issues raised on these boards or are so deep into Canon glass and bodies they can't leave short of an expensive exit.
The only way I could leave without taking a bath on my gear would be to switch to Fuji, Oly, or Panasonic. All decent cameras but not likely to give me any advantages beyond portability. Arguably the differences in IQ to go to Nikon or Sony (SoKon?) are small enough that I would be paying a steep premium for something my clients can't see. Except, of course, for my fumbling and cursing my new gear.

My passion?? Is more like my frustration...!! :D I "started" to leave Canon when I bought a Sony A7r3. With the mc-11 adapter i can use my canon glass with "almost" no problem. So it´s not a jump in the dark, if that day comes (leaving Canon) it will be a slow process (and probably yes...will make me lose some money.) However, even buying the A7R3 (witch i do love), I always thought that this camera was somehow temporary and Canon would respond with better hybrid cameras. Sony launched the A7r3 in October 2017, and next month they will launch a new firmware update witch will give more focusing skills to the camera! Eye AF? Well, i am shooting Eye AF for one and half years now!! How about Canon shooters?? :D Probably they are getting the firmware update now! Yes, I shoot with IBIS for 1 and half year! Canon users? Nope....But let me just say this, i don´t value so much ibis, I value more IS sistem in lenses. I am shooting video with a fullframe sensor and getting a fullframe image in 4k! Canon? Yeahh....just don´t have it! Let me just say again, I often shoot in crop mode in Sony, and use a lot the 1dxmkII to film, and shooting in fullframe is not a game changer for me, but is great to have it! Ohh...what about Log? Yeaahh I have a 6000€ camera from canon that shoots great video...but with no C-log and the worst thing...with a 20 year old codec that produces huge files! :D

What is so strange to me....is that this things are evidences! I am not making this up! Canon already assumed in an interview that they didn´t respond well to the change in the market. But even with this, i got called a "troll" in this forum and "slammed" just because I am criticizing Canon!! :D Why? Because i am angry that Canon is saying for us not to expect new EOS R cameras in 2019!! And this seems to be....normal to everybody! :D
I am not happy criticizing Canon, not happy at all!!! I would LOVE that canon launch a great hybrid camera! With no drawbacks, with no restraining things!! Just giving what people that shoots video with this cameras want! (Yes, for me the problem of Canon is the video, for stills cameras continue to be excelent). So, yes! If Canon launches a great camera I will sell my Sony one and get a Canon! Yes I am a CANON FAN! And yes, I am frustrated with Canon. I understand if most of you don´t understand me...But this are my thoughts ,fair or unfair, this are my needs as a photographer/videographer that lives 100% from image!! My best regards to everybody! Even to those who called me...a troll!! :D

Upvote 0
i just put it out there as a possibility, but jeah its far too early for that. But what else could be meant with a "high end" dslr?

i can only see a 7d iii
the 80d series will probably be killed off and will be /is already replaced with the m50 (series)

Replaced by the M50?
I think this kit is not capable enough. The 80D always was a good standard in between „beginner“ and „pro“ regarding sports etc. The M50 is a great little camera but doesn‘t live up to these standards I think.
The M5 is more near to the 80D, although it feels a little bit like we won‘t see another M5-ish camera in the future :( (more like a M5 with an R Mount).

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2018
My passion?? Is more like my frustration...!! :D I "started" to leave Canon when I bought a Sony A7r3. With the mc-11 adapter i can use my canon glass with "almost" no problem. So it´s not a jump in the dark, if that day comes (leaving Canon) it will be a slow process (and probably yes...will make me lose some money.) However, even buying the A7R3 (witch i do love), I always thought that this camera was somehow temporary and Canon would respond with better hybrid cameras. Sony launched the A7r3 in October 2017, and next month they will launch a new firmware update witch will give more focusing skills to the camera! Eye AF? Well, i am shooting Eye AF for one and half years now!! How about Canon shooters?? :D Probably they are getting the firmware update now! Yes, I shoot with IBIS for 1 and half year! Canon users? Nope....But let me just say this, i don´t value so much ibis, I value more IS sistem in lenses. I am shooting video with a fullframe sensor and getting a fullframe image in 4k! Canon? Yeahh....just don´t have it! Let me just say again, I often shoot in crop mode in Sony, and use a lot the 1dxmkII to film, and shooting in fullframe is not a game changer for me, but is great to have it! Ohh...what about Log? Yeaahh I have a 6000€ camera from canon that shoots great video...but with no C-log and the worst thing...with a 20 year old codec that produces huge files! :D

What is so strange to me....is that this things are evidences! I am not making this up! Canon already assumed in an interview that they didn´t respond well to the change in the market. But even with this, i got called a "troll" in this forum and "slammed" just because I am criticizing Canon!! :D Why? Because i am angry that Canon is saying for us not to expect new EOS R cameras in 2019!! And this seems to be....normal to everybody! :D
I am not happy criticizing Canon, not happy at all!!! I would LOVE that canon launch a great hybrid camera! With no drawbacks, with no restraining things!! Just giving what people that shoots video with this cameras want! (Yes, for me the problem of Canon is the video, for stills cameras continue to be excelent). So, yes! If Canon launches a great camera I will sell my Sony one and get a Canon! Yes I am a CANON FAN! And yes, I am frustrated with Canon. I understand if most of you don´t understand me...But this are my thoughts ,fair or unfair, this are my needs as a photographer/videographer that lives 100% from image!! My best regards to everybody! Even to those who called me...a troll!! :D
Why not start the week infiltrating a well informed forum with some apologetic monotony. Your photos must be equally stunning with an outlook like that.

Upvote 0
Why not start the week infiltrating a well informed forum with some apologetic monotony. Your photos must be equally stunning with an outlook like that.

This Forum should be called "Canon Praisers" not Canon Rumors...! :) I don´t like this rumor and i gave my opinion! Can I do that? Or should i say: " Thank you, thank you Canon by not giving me a the camera I need so I can spend 3,500$! I am sorry for disturbing you and your beginning of week! I just explain my reasons why I was frustrated with Canon. Just that!!!!
Ohh....about my photos...I make more than 60.000€ by year, so they must have some quality. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This Forum should be called "Canon Praisers" not Canon Rumors...! :) I don´t like this rumor and i gave my opinion! Can I do that? Or should i say: " Thank you, thank you Canon by not giving me a the camera I need so I can spend 3,500$! I am sorry for disturbing you and your beginning of week! I just explain my reasons why I was frustrated with Canon. Just that!!!!
Ohh....about my photos...I make more than 60.000€ by year, so they must have some quality. ;)

Sure_jan.gif

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I'm slightly...well, extremely disappointed in this news. I absolutely love the EOS R and I didn't expect it to replace my 5D Mark IV last year, but it did. I now shoot with it alongside my 1DX Mark II and I would love to go fully mirrorless at a wedding or some events. I was looking forward to getting a new, high megapixel sensor from Canon with dual cards later this year...but if they aren't going to release anything, do I just buy another EOS R? I'm not opposed to that idea, but I really didn't want to invest in a second camera body with a single card slot. The only thing I really miss is the dual cards for weddings and events.

That said, I can't wait for the day that I am using all RF cameras. This EOS R has become the greatest camera I've ever used. So if I could get an enhanced version of it in a 5D4/5DS type camera or even a 1DX type camera, I would jump all over it.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I'm slightly...well, extremely disappointed in this news. I absolutely love the EOS R and I didn't expect it to replace my 5D Mark IV last year, but it did. I now shoot with it alongside my 1DX Mark II and I would love to go fully mirrorless at a wedding or some events. I was looking forward to getting a new, high megapixel sensor from Canon with dual cards later this year...but if they aren't going to release anything, do I just buy another EOS R? I'm not opposed to that idea, but I really didn't want to invest in a second camera body with a single card slot. The only thing I really miss is the dual cards for weddings and events.

That said, I can't wait for the day that I am using all RF cameras. This EOS R has become the greatest camera I've ever used. So if I could get an enhanced version of it in a 5D4/5DS type camera or even a 1DX type camera, I would jump all over it.
Can you get the R to backup to a phone or pad while you are shooting? That would be a great way to get backup without a second card.

Upvote 0