No Power after firmware upgrade on Canon 60d

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Grinder2000

Any help would be appreciated.

Got a hold of a new 60d about a month ago, no problems, was enjoying learning to use the camera.

I noticed that it was running firmware 1.0.0 and decided to upgrade to 1.1.0

All seemed to go well, the camera showed the update complete screen and I pressed the <set> button as per the instructions....

LCD when dark, didn't think much of that, but I found that the unit fails to power on now!!

Tried removing the battery, without SD Card/ with SD card, with lens/without lens. Set the camera aside without the battery for about 10 minutes, still fails to power on.
Double checked the battery is fully charged

Is there a hard reset on the 60d? I don't see how the update could cause the unit to fail to power on.

As anyone come across this type of problem, or will it have to go to Canon?

thanks in advance

RC

Jun 11, 2011
Yuck! Two things came to mind as I was reading your post:

1. It sounds like a condition when a battery dies during the firmware upgrade which I'm sure can't be good. Have you checked your battery or do you have another one to try?

2. Your firmware download is corrupt and choked at the point of failure. Or along the same line, your CF card is corrupt or needs formatting/replacing.

Assuming you can get power back to your camera, download the firmware again and place onto a different card--might be worth buying a quality card if what you have is questionable. Ideally the card needs to be formatted with your camera and not your computer if that is possible at this point.

Some other things you have probably looked at but just in case you haven't:

1. Is it possible there is something in your battery chamber, a shread of paper or something which is blocking one of the contacts? Just maybe it was coincidentally that you lost battery connection when updating
2. Is it possible you have a bent or damaged pin in your CF card socket. Again this would be a coincident but since the card was just pulled and reinserted prior to the failure maybe.
3. Check your battery with a multimeter.
4. Carefully clean your camera's electrical connectors.
4. By all means call Canon

Please keep us posted on the outcome, we would love to hear the cause and solution.

Upvote 0
A

andersburn

Grinder2000 said:

Got a hold of a new 60d about a month ago, no problems, was enjoying learning to use the camera.

All seemed to go well, the camera showed the update complete screen and I pressed the <set> button as per the instructions....

LCD when dark, didn't think much of that, but I found that the unit fails to power on now!!

Tried removing the battery, without SD Card/ with SD card, with lens/without lens. Set the camera aside without the battery for about 10 minutes, still fails to power on.

Is there a hard reset on the 60d? I don't see how the update could cause the unit to fail to power on.

thanks in advance
I Have the same problem, after updating to 1.1.1 for my Canon 60D, the camera won't turn on :(
The problem isn't the battery or SD card, I have more of them and they work.
and I have tried everything else :(

Now i'll try to hard-reset the 60D by leaving it without it's battery for a week - and call canon :(

Hope someone can help :(

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
andersburn said:
Grinder2000 said:

thanks in advance
I Have the same problem, after updating to 1.1.1 for my Canon 60D, the camera won't turn on :(
The problem isn't the battery or SD card, I have more of them and they work.
and I have tried everything else :(

Now i'll try to hard-reset the 60D by leaving it without it's battery for a week - and call canon :(

Hope someone can help :(
You need to call Canon and ask for help, they will probably want you to return the camera. Leaving it sitting for a week is not really going to solve the issue.
Do make sure the battery did not run dowm it takes more power when you are updating the camera, so a fresh Canon battery is advised.

Upvote 0
Yuck! Two things came to mind as I was reading your post:

1. It sounds like a condition when a battery dies during the firmware upgrade which I'm sure can't be good. Have you checked your battery or do you have another one to try?

2. Your firmware download is corrupt and choked at the point of failure. Or along the same line, your CF card is corrupt or needs formatting/replacing.

Assuming you can get power back to your camera, download the firmware again and place onto a different card--might be worth buying a quality card if what you have is questionable. Ideally the card needs to be formatted with your camera and not your computer if that is possible at this point.

Some other things you have probably looked at but just in case you haven't:

1. Is it possible there is something in your battery chamber, a shread of paper or something which is blocking one of the contacts? Just maybe it was coincidentally that you lost battery connection when updating
  2. Is it possible you have a bent or damaged pin in your CF card socket. Again this would be a coincident but since the card was just pulled and reinserted prior to the failure maybe.
  3. Check your battery with a multimeter.
  4. Carefully clean your camera's electrical connectors.
  5. By all means call Canon

Please keep us posted on the outcome, we would love to hear the cause and solution.
Did you try to post this on Canon's official forum? Maybe more bad publicity closer to home will get their attention, like whenever someone complains about Adorama some helpful PR person will drop on you and include a gift voucher just to get you off their backs.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.