Noisy IS on EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 - is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a new EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 from B&H and noticed a noise when using the IS. It is like a switching or soft clicking noise, and it happens during focus (sometimes) and a second or so after I stop pressing the shutter button.
I have two other lenses with IS and there is no noticable noise (both inexpensive kit lenses). I rented this lens a year ago and don't remember hearing a noise with the lens at that time.
Is this normal, or do I have a defective lens? I'll call B&H, but wanted to know what you guys have experienced.
Thanks!

A

april

I believe that's normal since i've got a 24-105 that does the same everytime the IS activates/deactivate i hear a clicking sound along with the sound of the focusing motor whenever it's on AF. The clicking sound is more noticeable when you do a panning shot while the IS is ON or when you're half pressing the shutter botton and the IS senses any shake or movement. Even those standard lenses I used before I could hear the sound of the IS when it engages but not all are equal some are just noisier than the others.
With that sound I feel confident enough that the IS is working.

Upvote 0

Isurus

CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Wisconsin
That is normal. It's IS is from one or two generations ago and isn't nearly as quite as the new on in the 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS II for example.

I had become so accustomed to the noise that when I was first using the new 70-200 I actually checked to see if the IS was turned on a couple times.

But, back on topic, there is nothing to worry about. Noise is normal in that lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
papa-razzi said:
Is this normal, or do I have a defective lens?

It's normal. Try a 300mm f/4L IS sometime...that one starts up with a 'clunk' that you can hear and feel, and while in operation you hear a low humm...it makes the 17-55mm seem quiet by comparison...

The start/stop sound of the 17-55mm and 24-105mm IS are similar.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.