Noisy obtrusive ads

Even if I want the article they are selling, and even if the price is the lowest, I will never order anything from a pop-up ad.

But clearly I am in a minority as these ad companies would not invest in such technology unless they got back a good return. So some people (probably many people) are using these pop up type ads to order stuff.

The problem I have is that with a "traditional" pop up ad, the person has to deliberately click on the ad. This generates a report back to the advertisement company and they can, in turn, report that their ads generated so much interest because a number of people were interested enough in the product to click on the ad.

Hence the term click-revenue.

Since I have no interest in any pop-up type ad, I never click on them.

But these mouse-over ads are a way for the advertisement companies to report higher interest in the ads by reporting mouse-overs as interest in the ad. Unfortunately, a mouse-over does not always indicate interest.

But as a customer of a website, I don't really care. As long as product manufacturers can be conned into paying to support websites that I can access for free, I am happy.

I think that the product manufactuers might have a problem with the advertisement companies, but advertisement companies are in the business of manipulation and lies. ;D

Someone has to pay for my access to these websites. I am not miss-representing anything so morally I am in the clear. But if some ad company can scam a product manufacturer/seller into paying so I don't have to pay, more power to them.

At the end of the day, I am still getting something of value for free so I really can't complain.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2012
Don Haines said:
The purpose of an add is to sell product.... not piss people off to the point that they will never do business with that company.... the advertisers need to re-consider what they are doing....
'splain me this then...
A few days back, I clicked through some links, likely starting here, got to the Canon Europe CPN site, augured in a bit further to this page.......
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/using_the_c500_for_need_for_speed.do

OK Canon, I've been lured in, advertising is successful so far, now I'd like to watch the video, maybe I'll get more interested in your product(s).
But, the video won't play, according to Chrome on PC, the video stream is blocked, possible causes include.........

Required ports:1935
80Required domains:*.brightcove.com
*.brightcove.co.jp
bcove.me
*.o.brightcove.com
brightcove04.o.brightcove.com
hls.ak.o.brightcove.com
uds.ak.o.brightcove.com
brightcove.vo.llnwd.net
*.llnwd.net
*.edgefcs.net
*.edgesuite.net
*.akamaihd.net
*.analytics.edgekey.net
----
Adservers, analytics, whatever else, I'm already there Canon, I've jumped the hoops and hurdles, do you really have to further analyze the traffic that has already passed the road blocks? You'll get no clue whether I'll actually purchase this specific product or not, what else could you possibly care about?

Upvote 0
I am generally opposed to the whole shift towards video content. I hate how many news articles are available as video only, I can process information so much faster as text, I don't want to spend 3-4 minutes to learn what I could read through in less than one.

I agree video ads are particularly obnoxious, especially if you are like me and open 4 or 5 tabs at once, and they all start spewing the same video ad, slightly out of sync.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Tanispyre said:
I am generally opposed to the whole shift towards video content. I hate how many news articles are available as video only, I can process information so much faster as text, I don't want to spend 3-4 minutes to learn what I could read through in less than one.

I agree video ads are particularly obnoxious, especially if you are like me and open 4 or 5 tabs at once, and they all start spewing the same video ad, slightly out of sync.

+10

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
Don Haines said:
The purpose of an add is to sell product.... not piss people off to the point that they will never do business with that company.... the advertisers need to re-consider what they are doing....
'splain me this then...
A few days back, I clicked through some links, likely starting here, got to the Canon Europe CPN site, augured in a bit further to this page.......
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/using_the_c500_for_need_for_speed.do

OK Canon, I've been lured in, advertising is successful so far, now I'd like to watch the video, maybe I'll get more interested in your product(s).
But, the video won't play, according to Chrome on PC, the video stream is blocked, possible causes include.........

Required ports:1935
80Required domains:*.brightcove.com
*.brightcove.co.jp
bcove.me
*.o.brightcove.com
brightcove04.o.brightcove.com
hls.ak.o.brightcove.com
uds.ak.o.brightcove.com
brightcove.vo.llnwd.net
*.llnwd.net
*.edgefcs.net
*.edgesuite.net
*.akamaihd.net
*.analytics.edgekey.net
----
Adservers, analytics, whatever else, I'm already there Canon, I've jumped the hoops and hurdles, do you really have to further analyze the traffic that has already passed the road blocks? You'll get no clue whether I'll actually purchase this specific product or not, what else could you possibly care about?

I'm not an IT guru by any means, but it looks to me like the port needed to play the video is blocked. This could be a problem with the configuration on your PC (firewall settings perhaps), your home cable or DSL modem (whichever is applicable), your router if you have one, or it could be something that your ISP chooses to block for some reason. I once ran into a problem like this for video streaming, and I worked with my ISP to get it resolved.

The majority of users have no idea how the internet works, and quite reasonably most don't care - they just want it to function properly every time they use it. However, the process of supporting a wide range of services between a server and a computer which may be located almost anywhere in the world (and could in fact be moving, on a bus or a train for example), is far from trivial. The internet is a distributed network operated by a vast number of different companies, and often there are multiple interpretations of the standards they are trying to support. To me it is far more incredible that it usually works as intended than that there are occasional glitches.

Big companies like Canon with lots of resources to devote to their websites generally put a lot of effort into making sure the content is accessible to as many people as possible, because as you note it is in their best interest. So when you encounter a video that won't play, more than likely the problem lies at your end or somewhere in between, as Canon will do their best to make sure the video plays under every possible scenario. Most of the variables are outside Canon's control, so unless a lot of people report the same problem it is probably not their fault.

For the record, the video plays perfectly with Chrome on my PC, even when accessed through a company firewall and a VPN. That's actually quite impressive, if you think about it! :) I'd suggest you contact your ISP to see if they can help.

Upvote 0
Tanispyre said:

I have been trying to find a good text only news site. I too hate the imbedding of video in news stories. I suppose I am one of the few considerate people who want to get news without bothering the people around me?

Upvote 0

Old Sarge

CR Pro
Nov 6, 2012
AcutancePhotography said:
Tanispyre said:

I have been trying to find a good text only news site. I too hate the imbedding of video in news stories. I suppose I am one of the few considerate people who want to get news without bothering the people around me?
I am in concurrence with both of you. Lord knows that written news accounts are poorly done in today's world but video is even worse. Neither contain enough real information in my opinion.

Upvote 0
DigitalDivide said:
I'm not an IT guru by any means, but it looks to me like the port needed to play the video is blocked. This could be a problem with the configuration on your PC (firewall settings perhaps),.....
hosts file
My rant was not questioning why I couldn't view the video, I know precisely why.
My rant regards the tracking and analytics in use.
Why why why does anyone in marketing and advertising care how I've arrived once I've arrived. They have gotten my undivided attention and prefer to analyze rather than inform.

In a bricks and mortar retail situation, when a customer has arrived and is asking about a product, does the retailer first ask that customer how heshe found out about the product or the store, or does the wise retailer attempt to first make the sale?

Upvote 0
tolusina said:
Why why why does anyone in marketing and advertising care how I've arrived once I've arrived. They have gotten

The simple answer is they want to know where and to whom they should focus their marketing energy.

Example: if a company trying to sell professional gear is having ads pop up on gimmicky consumer sites (which then generate clicks, but no purchases), they should remove that target from their campaign.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
But clearly I am in a minority as these ad companies would not invest in such technology unless they got back a good return. So some people (probably many people) are using these pop up type ads to order stuff.
I think you'd be surprised. The guy that invented pop-up ads wrote an article a month back...the effectiveness of pop-up ads is laughably minor. Click through rates in the hundredths of a percent, etc

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/advertising-is-the-internets-original-sin/376041/?single_page=true

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Even if I want the article they are selling, and even if the price is the lowest, I will never order anything from a pop-up ad.

The problem I have is that with a "traditional" pop up ad, the person has to deliberately click on the ad. This generates a report back to the advertisement company and they can, in turn, report that their ads generated so much interest because a number of people were interested enough in the product to click on the ad.

Hence the term click-revenue.

Since I have no interest in any pop-up type ad, I never click on them.

But these mouse-over ads are a way for the advertisement companies to report higher interest in the ads by reporting mouse-overs as interest in the ad. Unfortunately, a mouse-over does not always indicate interest.

But as a customer of a website, I don't really care. As long as product manufacturers can be conned into paying to support websites that I can access for free, I am happy.

I think that the product manufactuers might have a problem with the advertisement companies, but advertisement companies are in the business of manipulation and lies. ;D

Someone has to pay for my access to these websites. I am not miss-representing anything so morally I am in the clear. But if some ad company can scam a product manufacturer/seller into paying so I don't have to pay, more power to them.

At the end of the day, I am still getting something of value for free so I really can't complain.

The ads we see are tailored to each user using the cookies placed on your computer from previous visits to other web sites. If you look at a Nikon D810 on Amazon, you will likely see ads almost everywhere you visit.

You can turn off some of the annoying ones by clicking on the tiny icon in the corner of a ad and then selecting your preferences.

CR can, or used to be able to block a few ads (Limited number) and they used this to block obvious camera scam ads).

Upvote 0
phigment said:
tolusina said:
Why why why does anyone in marketing and advertising care how I've arrived once I've arrived. They have gotten

The simple answer is they want to know where and to whom they should focus their marketing energy.

Example: if a company trying to sell professional gear is having ads pop up on gimmicky consumer sites (which then generate clicks, but no purchases), they should remove that target from their campaign.
Still missing my point.
Their advertising has worked. Among the billions of possible internet distractions, their ads have worked, I'm there, I want info, they want more analytics from ad servers instead.

Retail 101, make the sale, maybe ask how and why afterwards.

Upvote 0