Nothing on 90D?

With all of the excitement surrounding the R, is there still no word on the 80D replacement? While the R I have no doubt will be a pretty terrific camera, as an amateur on a limited hobbyist budget I am still hoping for a 90D to be coming soon. Is one still coming? Please share your thoughts.

I suppose I COULD try and unload my 70-300 L and use those funds along with the other $1200 I have set aside to put toward the purchase of the new R but then that leaves a large gaping hole in my VERY limited lens line-up. Ugh. Come on Canon, gives us a new and more economical choice.

I'm not in THAT big of a hurry so I can wait a bit longer for a new body but it sure would be nice to know more about the elusive 90 and an expected release date IF they are still planning on this.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I think the 7D Mark III will arrive first, and then we'll see a 90D.
Maybe the 90D will arrive in the middle of 2019.
I think, that's it.
7D Mark III at CP+ or in spring.
90D later on, maybe at photokina 2019

And maybe the last iteration of APS-C pro/prosumer DSLRs and then MILC?

Upvote 0
Although Canon's future plans are a bit less certain now, I don't see what bearing the new FF mirrorless camera has on these APS-C models. It's full frame, so not a replacement for cameras like the 7D or XXD series. I'd imagine the next EOS-M will give more clues as to what their thinking is - whether they start introducing higher-end features that might tempt 7D users especially.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Although Canon's future plans are a bit less certain now, I don't see what bearing the new FF mirrorless camera has on these APS-C models. It's full frame, so not a replacement for cameras like the 7D or XXD series. I'd imagine the next EOS-M will give more clues as to what their thinking is - whether they start introducing higher-end features that might tempt 7D users especially.
As a 7d2 shooter(would love a 1dx2 but unfortunately selling the wife won't generate enough cash) I can tell you that there is not a mirrorless camera on the market that could tempt me to change systems. Yet. Ergonomics are so incredibly important to a wildlife shooter and it seems non wildlife shooters simply cannot comprehend how important the feel of the camera is. With a grip the eos r actually looks manageable but it would have to tick a lot more boxes as well. Weather sealing. frame rate. An evf that does not hurt to look through for hours on end. ZERO lag when panning at high speeds. Buttons in perfect places(although that lens/adapter ring looks to be the shizzle). There is a helluva lot more required than just whacking in an evf nad some useless focus peaking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
As a 7d2 shooter(would love a 1dx2 but unfortunately selling the wife won't generate enough cash) I can tell you that there is not a mirrorless camera on the market that could tempt me to change systems. Yet. Ergonomics are so incredibly important to a wildlife shooter and it seems non wildlife shooters simply cannot comprehend how important the feel of the camera is. With a grip the eos r actually looks manageable but it would have to tick a lot more boxes as well. Weather sealing. frame rate. An evf that does not hurt to look through for hours on end. ZERO lag when panning at high speeds. Buttons in perfect places(although that lens/adapter ring looks to be the shizzle). There is a helluva lot more required than just whacking in an evf nad some useless focus peaking.

Agreed.

Upvote 0