NOTICE!! Members with no posts or logins being purged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
We are cleaning out spammer accounts, 99.9% of them are inactive, but occasionally come to life.

Some members who signed up over 45 days ago but never logged in again may get caught up. The account can be recreated, nothing is lost, since nothing was posted and no one logged in. We had robots signing up thousands of new accounts each day, and intend to remove as many as possible.

As long as you log in once a month, or if you have at least one post, you will not be affected.

This will be happening slowly over several weeks.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
mikef80 said:
Hi

Has this been done to any existing members as well? I have been rather quiet lately and appear to have had my login details deleted. My previous username was paramike. Is there any way of reinstating this?

Cheers.

Try signing up with the same name.

Only those with no posts who had not logged in for 45 days or longer were removed. They can signup again with the same user name. Some who had not logged in for over 6 months were also removed.

A astounding number of spammers was removed, and I'm very sorry that some valid accounts got removed with them. Almost 300,000 accounts went away, 99.99% spammers being signed up by robots at the rate of hundreds or even thousands a day.

Our current signup scheme makes it difficult but not impossible for robots to signup, since they can be programmed to find our code. For that reason, I keep tabs on new members, and occasionally change the code as well as how its shown.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
A little further explanation. We had spammer robots automatically signing up with a huge number of accounts each day. They never post anything, because they would be quickly reported by the members and removed.

What they did do was attempt to put links to commercial sites in their signature field. We spent weeks removing thousands of these, and found a way to stop the links, but let the robots keep signing up. Finally, there were so many that most of the members online at any time were the spam robots.

We modified the new member signup method to require a code posted in the site information. This means that only human spammers can sign up, and only a few bother.
So, how do we get rid of those 300,000 accounts, most of which are obvious spammers. There are far too many to remove one at a time, or even 25 at a time, so we used a feature in the forum software that lets us remove accounts of those who have not logged in, and have zero posts for the past "X" days.
Then we did just that, removing one days worth at a time starting at 360 days. Even removing one day's worth brings the forum to a halt for 1-3 minutes while 1000-3000 accounts are removed, so I usually did it once a day when there was little posting going on.
At the same time, I used the administrator search facility to find recent spammers by e-mail, IP, etc and removed thousands of the most active ones that way. I worked at it for a hour or more every day.

Finally, the moment came when all those with no posts and no logins in the past 45 days were gone, and I went thru every remaining member one at a time (those no posts) and removed a few hundred more that were obvious SEO spammers.

That reduced their number to what is likely just a handful that I can't detect. I'm not currently purging additional non posters, but might limit them to 6 months at some future date. The main thrust was to remove SEO spammers, not inactive members.

Along the way, I found one member with no posts who was faithfully logging in every day to read the forum. He was one of the very first CR members. I sent him a e-mail, and he sent a nice note back saying that he just preferred to lurk. I changed his post count from zero to 10 just so he would not get caught up in a future sweep.
I now review recent new members to see if any look like spammers (they are usually obvious). Much to my surprise and delight, 9 of 10 new members start posting right away. Keep it up!!

Upvote 0
Even though I don't post much, please don't delete me! I already was deleted once I think (about a year ago), because I created an account to ask a question then didn't get on for a while... The thread stayed around and just showed my name forum status as "guest." Any way to look back at the posts before you delete people, as long as they have posted at least once?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.