November Super Moon

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Alex_M said:
The next time a Full Moon is even closer to Earth will be on November 25, 2034. By then, cameras in our smartphones will be good enough to take close up photos of Jupiter on a cloudy night :D

brianftpc said:
nothing too special. Id like to rent an 800mm lens and put some planning into the landscape next time
*lol*
But maybe within four years it is not yet possible.
In four years you'll get another "super moon" that is still quite close.
And be sure, you won't recognize the size difference just by eye or camera ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks bholliman and meywd 8)

meywd said:
bholliman said:
Gaf said:
Got lucky with a clear sky in southern Ontario last night - Nov 13 2016 @ 7:14pm.

5D3 - 500 II + 2x III - ISO 200 - 1/200 - f/11

http://www.pbase.com/ricked_wicky/image/164522765/original

More than luck! Looks great!

+1 Amazing

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Jack Douglas said:
Lovely previous photos everyone. The best I could do with the 400 DO II X2 III. I am still struggling with the new 1DX II and hadn't used LV - when I tried I got movies. So I went back to the VF.

Jack

Well Done Jack.

From my Apartment the Moon rises over the Pacific, cloudless conditions, so although looked nice, there was really nothing to Photograph the Moon against, so I just watched loads of People sitting down on the Beach watch the rising Moon, didn't take a single Image.

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
Great images all! From my perspective, I saw this....

Attachments

• Supermoon 2016 Drive Thru.jpg
    Supermoon 2016 Drive Thru.jpg
    560.4 KB · Views: 186
Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
The atmospherics killed the 5DS resolution. You could see a "boiling look" on the moon's surface when zoomed all the way in on the LCD during live view. The higher the shutter speed, the better chance of getting the turbulence effect reduced. I turn on IS to focus, then shut it off to shoot. Once I have the moon centered and focused and IS off, I leave the live view fully zoomed in to see when the vibrations are gone.

Thanks for the tip/reminder on turning the IS off, I forgot to do this earlier. Higher shutter speed and the moon being fairly high in the sky also help sharpness over my earlier attempts. I also found my 2-second timer wasn't sufficient to calm camera shake after pushing the shutter so I brought out my cable release. Its been mostly cloudy here since Monday, but we had a window of clear sky about an hour ago and I got several like this.

5DsR, 300 f/2.8 II, 2.0x III extender, tripod mounted. This shot is a pretty heavy crop, you ideally need a longer lens for this.

Attachments

• 2016_11_15_230625-8329-2.jpg
    2016_11_15_230625-8329-2.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
bholliman said:
KeithBreazeal said:
The atmospherics killed the 5DS resolution. You could see a "boiling look" on the moon's surface when zoomed all the way in on the LCD during live view. The higher the shutter speed, the better chance of getting the turbulence effect reduced. I turn on IS to focus, then shut it off to shoot. Once I have the moon centered and focused and IS off, I leave the live view fully zoomed in to see when the vibrations are gone.

Thanks for the tip/reminder on turning the IS off, I forgot to do this earlier. I also found my 2-second timer was not sufficient calm camera shake after pushing the shutter, I brought out my cable release. Its been mostly cloudy here since Monday, but we had a window of clear sky about an hour ago and I got several like this.

5DsR, 300 f/2.8 II, 2.0x III extender, tripod mounted.

Considering the crop, this is really good! I have one shot the moon once with the 5DS and that was the moon rise. I need to shoot it a few hours after the rise just to check out the resolution.

Upvote 0
Sadly, I didn't get a great super moon due to too much cloud cover, but here is a shot from the following night (super moon day + 1). Unfortunately, that also meant the moonrise was an hour after sunset, so I blew out the moon to get the foreground, but like the effect anyway.

5D3 with EF 70-200 f4 IS at 200mm, 10s, ISO1600.

Attachments

• 3U4C4235-2.jpg
    3U4C4235-2.jpg
    821 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
And I LIKE it, too!
-r

AUGS said:
Sadly, I didn't get a great super moon due to too much cloud cover, but here is a shot from the following night (super moon day + 1). Unfortunately, that also meant the moonrise was an hour after sunset, so I blew out the moon to get the foreground, but like the effect anyway.

5D3 with EF 70-200 f4 IS at 200mm, 10s, ISO1600.

Upvote 0