Now 4K can take over the world?

Finally, the association responsible for the BluRay reached an agreement on an optical disc capable of displaying 4K video. ::)
This will be called Ultra HD BluRay. 8)

ultrahdlogolarge.jpg

More information on the site

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/051215_1230

Mar 25, 2011
There is a big issue, more and more movie watchers watch streaming video, and no longer buy DVD's, blu ray or other. The market just isn't there.

There are lots of 4K TV's on the shelves, but people buy them not realizing there is no 4K content and are happy anyway. I have a room reserved in a new hotel that's just opening next month. 55 in 4K TV's in every room. I'd bet there is no 4K content though.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Mt Spokane hit the nail on the head.

So disc manufacturers finally reached agreement on standards for their obsolete product. Who cares. All this fasination with 4K when no one under 30 ever watches a TV anyway and fewer and fewer over 30 are either.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There is a big issue, more and more movie watchers watch streaming video, and no longer buy DVD's, blu ray or other. The market just isn't there.

There are lots of 4K TV's on the shelves, but people buy them not realizing there is no 4K content and are happy anyway. I have a room reserved in a new hotel that's just opening next month. 55 in 4K TV's in every room. I'd bet there is no 4K content though.

This, totally. I purchased one of the new Samsung 55" 4k UHD TVs in December when prices plummeted (I picked it up for less than $1500 bucks). I brought it home, plugged in the power...and hooked it up to wifi. It's never had any other cables attached. I get all of my entertainment through the built-in apps, many of which support full 4k streaming (including NetFlix, where I get most of my entertainment). I just received a couple of updates to apps just today that added full 4k streaming support. I don't have a blu-ray player, I don't even have a DVD player (well, i have both, through a computer I can hook up to the TV, but I don't use them.) Streaming is where it's at. HBO Now will get me the only couple of missing shows (namely, GoT) that I watch, and I'll have every bit of entertainment I care to have.

I don't even have Cable TV...just not worth it, all the commercials and the excessive cost. If I want local news, I have an OTA antenna with a 45 mile range that will get me all the news I need (and Hulu actually has newscasts as well now, IIRC.)

I think 4k is already here. It's just here in a different form than the big cable TV companies and disc sellers would prefer it to be. Streaming is the future. The instant-on, always available, on-demand, high quality 4k future.

Power cable and wifi. That's all I did with my new 4k TV. ;) I couldn't be happier with the simplicity of it all.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Yes, there are much more 4K TV display (in some countries) than truly 4K content to watch.

4K video streeaming may be the future, but it is certainly not present in many cities where the internet speed is insufficient.

The key question is:
We discussed endlessly about cameras, and produce video content professionally, but not yet had a physical medium to deliver that customer content in 4K. I see some companies eluding brides by promising wedding video in 4K, when it will be delivered only on BluRay Full HD.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
Okay, this is a little off topic but related to the 4K discussion. I have not bought a TV since 1993 but I plan to buy one at the upcoming Memorial Day sales. Buying a new camera seems easy in comparison. Should I get 4k? 3D? FWIW, I love watching TV shows and movies but I rarely watch sports--the Olympics are the exception. The room I plan to put it in has lots of natural and often bright sunlight and the absolute largest size I could get would be 55 inches. I would love any recommendations and suggestions you may have.

Upvote 0
Vivid Color said:
Okay, this is a little off topic but related to the 4K discussion. I have not bought a TV since 1993 but I plan to buy one at the upcoming Memorial Day sales. Buying a new camera seems easy in comparison. Should I get 4k? 3D? FWIW, I love watching TV shows and movies but I rarely watch sports--the Olympics are the exception. The room I plan to put it in has lots of natural and often bright sunlight and the absolute largest size I could get would be 55 inches. I would love any recommendations and suggestions you may have.
Right now the most cost-effective is in Full HD LED TV. If you want something "future-proof" buy LED 4K.

The whole world rejected 3D TV for everyday use. Watch 3D TV for a few hours can cause headache, spoils the eyes determine the actual distance of objects in front of you, and dizziness. Obviously, these effects are temporary, but the manufacturer recommends NOT watch 3D TV near stairs or other places prone to falls due to spatial disorientation.

Very few TV stations display 4K content outside of Japan, but should check what is available in your area.

Environment with plenty of natural light will worsen the image of any TV. It is recommended to use curtains or film glasses to reduce light, especially in the windows behind the head of the TV viewer.

55 inch size TV ask minimum distance of 3 meters to the TV viewer, not to cause eye strain.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Vivid Color said:

The Samsung TV sets look beautiful in the showroom, but that shiny screen will reflect every bit of stray light. I had to return mine, or board up my windows and sliding glass doors.

I ended up buying a Panasonic with a matte IPS screen for less $$ and it has really worked well.

I'd skip 3D. That Samsung I returned was top of the line 3D.

Curved OLED TV screens sound interesting, but they still command a high price. They cost no more to make, but billions of dollars went into their development.

Do some online searching of reviews. Beware that some reviewers are just like camera reviewers, and think that everyone needs a $25K set.

The cheap sets often do cut out essential features, so don't buy one of the $350 sets, go for a mid range. Get a smart TV, the mid range to high end ones are good, the cheap ones are not. I bought a cheap Samsung to use in my bedroom last Christmas. The processor in it is so slow that its nearly unusable, it will not take certain apps that Panasonic offers for them, just as Canon cuts features on entry level cameras.

Upvote 0

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I justy purchased a Sony 55-inch 4K TV at Best Buy. It was the same price ($1500) as a Sony 65-inch HD TV. At a 4-foot viewing distance in the store (which is would not be doing in my living room), the pixels on the HD were obvious, while invisible on the 4K. The Sony does very nice up-scaling from Blu-ray. I turned OFF the up-scaling in the Sony 6200 Blu-ray player since the TV does a much better job. Unless one is buying a 40-inch or smaller HD in the $500 range, I cannot see purchasing anything but 4K today since the price differential is so minimal.

I just read that the just released 4K Blu-ray UltraHD specs do not include 3D at all. RIP I assume. It does include 10-bit color and 4:4:4 coding which likely my new TV will not handle. Who knows what the 4K Blu-ray players will cost when they come out, so I will wait for the price to come down over time. Since 4K movies presently cost $30, I will pass on that, too.

The 4K Blu-ray spec includes a two-layer 66-GB disc and a three-layer 100 GB disc. Hopefully within a year I can rent a 4K disc from Netflix for a reasonable price. As far as streaming goes, I can presently stream HD video from Amazon and Hulu, though Hulu had some freezing problems while Amazon was perfect. Unless one would eventually own a video server to download 4K for later playback, it would seem that many people would not have an adequate download speed to stream 4K video. My download speeds are adequate for HD, but that is the limit. My home is hard wired for GB Ethernet, but most people will have to rely on wireless for streaming. That will likely be a challenge for most wireless routers even if the download speed is adequate from one's ISP

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
The whole world rejected 3D TV for everyday use. Watch 3D TV for a few hours can cause headache, spoils the eyes determine the actual distance of objects in front of you, and dizziness. Obviously, these effects are temporary, but the manufacturer recommends NOT watch 3D TV near stairs or other places prone to falls due to spatial disorientation.

The problem with 3D is it's poorly designed and implemented from one end to the other.

Thank goodness Nintendo gave people the ability to adjust the effect dynamically.
The biggest problem is that rather than ending up with two distinct images every 3D device I've seen only shades out the alternate frames, you can still see everything with both eyes all the time.
That's sloppy on the part of the hardware designers.
The next problem is that they try to blow everything out of proportion, making "mountains in the distance" stick out, when in real life looking at anything more than a few meters away is effectively 2D.
But then you combine that with the fact that the technology is flawed and you just have a great big mess.

3D could be good, even using the technology available today, if they only used it in a very subtly manner. I always use my 3DS with the 3D slider as low as it goes. The flaws in the image aren't really noticeable that way, but the extra dimension of visual information is still present, just enough to give the impression of "near" and "far", basically what should have been the aim of the technology to begin with.
You can get some PS3 games to work like that, but the effect is baked into movies, so they're hopeless.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
As for the practical viewing limitations of 4K, it's basically interchangeable with HD.
You shouldn't have to change anything as far as seating and screen size when moving from an HDTV setup to 4K.

People like to throw around screen size and distance numbers based on receptor cell size in your eyes, but those tests are based on high frequency static images and not the low frequency moving images your eyes are designed for.
In other words, the limitations commonly stated apply only to fine repeating texture. Smooth sand and cement may look the same, but any patterns and shapes will be noticeably better, something like a person's eyes will look incredibly good in 4K.

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
This is all incredibly helpful! No 3D for me--I have enough problems with migraines and dizziness as it is! I may decide the 4K issue based on sales price and what I see on display.

I do know that I want a smart TV but are there various kinds? What should I consider or look for? All of my computers are Mac's if that matters.

BTW, the viewing distance in the room varies from 8 to 11 feet.

Again, your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Vivid

Upvote 0
though I agree that 4k content is available via streaming more than via other media (Disks, Cable,,,) still that is only in the US, maybe in EU, but the rest of the world doesn't have the service or the bandwidth, also cable and satellite TV is not as content-rich as in the US, so the only other option is Blu-Ray, also in the future when 8K hits streaming will be harder, so this is a good step for when that comes, which is the real target for broadcasting companies.

Upvote 0
meywd said:
though I agree that 4k content is available via streaming more than via other media (Disks, Cable,,,) still that is only in the US, maybe in EU, but the rest of the world doesn't have the service or the bandwidth, also cable and satellite TV is not as content-rich as in the US, so the only other option is Blu-Ray, also in the future when 8K hits streaming will be harder, so this is a good step for when that comes, which is the real target for broadcasting companies.

True, streaming is bigger in the more heavily westernized countries, where bandwidth is more readily available. I can see UHD BluRay being valuable in such places. In some ways, a disc will always hold the edge as well...there is the whole uncompressed audio thing, which if you have a nice audio system, can be a big bonus. You definitely don't get that with streaming. You might get an edge on overall IQ as well...but it's pretty amazing what TVs can do these days with their upscaling, blur management and judder reduction algorithms. Even older content that wasn't prepared for 60fps playback has incredibly smooth transitions.

I don't believe bandwidth will be a huge problem when 8k arrives, but I also think 8k will be a little slower in coming than 4k. For most people, the very vast majority of the middle class and certainly those with less disposable income, TV's at the sizes they buy already look phenomenal at 4k (and even 2k with smaller sized TVs). The SmartTV integration with a wide variety of delivery services makes getting high quality content very easy, and if you want, very cheap (i.e. it's very easy to drop cable plans these days and just get all you entertainment from online sources, and disc). It will be a select few, those buying 80" and larger TVs or projectors for their home theaters, who will probably gain something from 8k.

I'm pretty blown away by my 4k Samsung. I could always see the pixels of my older Samsung TOC 1080p TV, even sitting on my couch. Even if I couldn't discern every pixel clearly, the picture just never felt like "high definition" to me...it felt scratchy. With 4k, I finally feel I'm watching truly high definition video, and I am no longer able to see any pixels. With the built-in upscaling (which does selective sharpening and noise reduction), even older content, as well as more highly compressed web content, looks phenomenal.

I don't think I would see any significant improvement with 8k, not at this screen size, anyway. If later in life I am able to "upgrade" to a larger home capable of supporting a huge TV, then 8k might hold some value, but until such time, at least as far as playback is concerned, 4k is pretty amazing. Now, when it comes to 8k recording, that is a totally different story. I'm all for more resolution when it comes to recording video. There are so many benefits to having more and higher quality data. I suspect 8k and maybe even 10/12/16k in the future will be useful things for those interested in doing cinematography. Especially if 4k settles in as a long-term TV video entertainment standard...8k can be downsampled to 4k, increasing quality.

Upvote 0
Streaming does not have sufficient throughput for 4K video in 99% of cities on the planet. This should improve in the coming years, but there will always be places where the internet is precarious and subject to temporary interruptions.

In this sense, physical media capable of storing 4K video is exciting for enthusiasts "the more resolution the better."

Events with exact time, as shows in structures assembled especially for that day, can not depend on luck to the internet to work without interruption at the crucial moment. A disc will always work, needing only power that can be provided by generators.

Rejoice, all of which are investing in 4K video. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Vivid Color said:
I do know that I want a smart TV but are there various kinds? What should I consider or look for? All of my computers are Mac's if that matters.

Cheers,

Vivid

New models are coming out frequently, May-June is usually when new models come out each year. I'd read reviews and pick a specific model or two and stick with that decision unless you don't like it when you get to a store.

Remote controls are a area of big disappointment for me. I have a horrible time using the junk remote for my Samsung, and since they now encrypt the remote signal for newer TV sets, you are limited to one crummy control.

So, there are apps for smartphones - Right? I downloaded the Samsung App for my iphone, only to find it did not work. Digging into it, and its hidden deeply, I found that my smart TV could not work with Samsungs own app.

The higher end ones work with the Samsung App, but its not the best.

So, check out remotes and see how you like them, and see if third party remotes and apps will work. Don't assume, check it out carefully. There are lots of Samsung Remote Apps, for example, they just do not work on newer models due to the encryption.

Here is just one review site, but beware, they may be reviewing TV sets by specification or watching in a room that has not windows or extraneous light sources so a shiny screen does not cause issues.

http://www.smartreview.com/samsung-un55ju7100-55-inch-4k-ultra-hd-smart-led-tv

As for Remotes, this one looks far better than the remote that came with my Samsung that requires two hands to use and is not lighted.

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-smart-remote-hands-on-with-the-best-tv-clicker-yet/

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
unfocused said:
Mt Spokane hit the nail on the head.

So disc manufacturers finally reached agreement on standards for their obsolete product. Who cares. All this fasination with 4K when no one under 30 ever watches a TV anyway and fewer and fewer over 30 are either.

And yet, when I walk around my neighborhood at night, and see all the living room windows of the shiny new condo developments filled with Yuppies, every single one of them has a glowing big screen TV attached to the wall.

If your theory is correct, why is this happening?

Upvote 0