Now Brian too Joins the (Sony)Party

YuengLinger

EOS 5D MK IV
Dec 20, 2012
2,628
748
Southeastern USA
I think it's a thoughtful, clear-eyed review of Sony's flagship. Canon's response to the increasing competition will be interesting to observe if it doesn't unfold too slowly.

TDP does point out that in terms of IQ only, the A9 has only a slight edge over the 1DXII.

The big question: Can Sony maintain its commitment to photography or will it get impatient with the cost of developing more lenses and accessories, and a quick, reliable, reasonably priced service infrastructure?

Many will appreciate Sony's innovations. Dumping a pile of Canon or Nikon gear to get on board Sony? We'll see.
 

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
714
0
34
Prague
YuengLinger said:
I think it's a thoughtful, clear-eyed review of Sony's flagship. Canon's response to the increasing competition will be interesting to observe if it doesn't unfold too slowly.

TDP does point out that in terms of IQ only, the A9 has only a slight edge over the 1DXII.

The big question: Can Sony maintain its commitment to photography or will it get impatient with the cost of developing more lenses and accessories, and a quick, reliable, reasonably priced service infrastructure?

Many will appreciate Sony's innovations. Dumping a pile of Canon or Nikon gear to get on board Sony? We'll see.
And 1DX II has tremendously better ergonomics, battery life and selection of native lenses (big whites seems to disagree with EF/E adaptors and AF is not on par compared to native EF mount).
 

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
3,227
416
I get the feeling that the negatives of the camera are few but they are the sort of negatives that will stop a sports/wildlife pro going full-bore into Sony: the lack of native f2.8 telephotos and the challenges of using adapted lenses being key among them.
I think the A9 will make a very good back-up camera for someone with a D5 or 1Dx model but relying on the A9 as your only sports/wildlife camera? I am not so sure. But even as a back-up would you buy into Sony lenses or use adapted CaNikon lenses? Would you spend the money on a Sony as back up or spend 1,000 less on a 5D4?
 

Jopa

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 11, 2015
1,056
0
Great article.
From Brian's link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Noise.aspx?Camera=1136&Test=11&ISO=100&CameraComp=1041&TestComp=14&ISOComp=0
I like Sony's Cyan and Yellow colors ;)

Nevertheless it's a quite interesting camera, it introduces new problems while trying to solve some old ones.
Too bad Brian doesn't want to test it with adapters, I think it's important for the folks looking for a backup body to their 1D/D5s without buying a hole set of new lenses.
 

IglooEater

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 15, 2014
904
0
Jopa said:
Great article.
From Brian's link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Noise.aspx?Camera=1136&Test=11&ISO=100&CameraComp=1041&TestComp=14&ISOComp=0
I like Sony's Cyan and Yellow colors ;)

Nevertheless it's a quite interesting camera, it introduces new problems while trying to solve some old ones.
Too bad Brian doesn't want to test it with adapters, I think it's important for the folks looking for a backup body to their 1D/D5s without buying a hole set of new lenses.
My unreliable gut would have told me the 1D/D5 crowd would view AF and reliability as paramount, making a jumble of different systems rather undesirable. I would see it more for 5D/D8xx users .
 

Jopa

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 11, 2015
1,056
0
IglooEater said:
Jopa said:
Great article.
From Brian's link: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Noise.aspx?Camera=1136&Test=11&ISO=100&CameraComp=1041&TestComp=14&ISOComp=0
I like Sony's Cyan and Yellow colors ;)

Nevertheless it's a quite interesting camera, it introduces new problems while trying to solve some old ones.
Too bad Brian doesn't want to test it with adapters, I think it's important for the folks looking for a backup body to their 1D/D5s without buying a hole set of new lenses.
My unreliable gut would have told me the 1D/D5 crowd would view AF and reliability as paramount, making a jumble of different systems rather undesirable. I would see it more for 5D/D8xx users .
Your gut could be right :) But as a weekend / backup camera it still deserves a chance! Today I noticed my 200/2 shots are mostly OOF. Ran a few FoCal tests, the AFMA went from -3 to +4 in 260 days. I find this annoying. I'm not a mirrorless or Sony fanboy (had a bunch of Sony stuff in the past though), but I would appreciate a body that I won't need to re-calibrate every month, and I hope this is true: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=33154.0
 

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
3,227
416
sofiabovinoclaudia said:
I am in love with the new Sony A9. World’s first full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP [ii] resolution


So why have you singed onto a Canon forum to tell us that?
 

LonelyBoy

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 18, 2015
745
0
Mikehit said:
sofiabovinoclaudia said:
I am in love with the new Sony A9. World’s first full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP [ii] resolution


So why have you singed onto a Canon forum to tell us that?


There is a suspicious number of people who signed up in the past few weeks to say they no longer care about Canon...
 

ethanz

1DX II
Apr 12, 2016
1,066
306
ethanzentz.com
LonelyBoy said:
Mikehit said:
sofiabovinoclaudia said:
I am in love with the new Sony A9. World’s first full-frame stacked CMOS sensor, 24.2 MP [ii] resolution


So why have you singed onto a Canon forum to tell us that?


There is a suspicious number of people who signed up in the past few weeks to say they no longer care about Canon...


Indeed there are. Too bad we can't see the IP's of posters...