Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Rienzphotoz said:
This interesting post was published in Nikon Rumors, yesterday
http://nikonrumors.com/2014/01/26/odd-ways-of-macro-photography.aspx/#more-71000

Thanks for the link, the water drop with the reverse lens look great ... however my own attempts before buying a "real" macro lens were less than mediocre, I learned that a) for this you want the lens to be as wide as possible, 50mm doesn't cut it and b) the iq of the 50/1.8 is not good enough. The best lens for this method probably is a old-school, sharp wide angle lens with manually lockable aperture.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
mackguyver said:
It's no fun to see someone putting your "real" macro lens photos to shame with a setup like this :(

Remember these are web-sized images, at least my reverse 50/1.8 shots immediately fell apart when zooming in, making the 100 non-L superior even though the reverse setup had a higher nominal magnification. And if you use a good wide angle lens that results in enough reverse sharpness you'll come into $$$ regions of a "real" macro lens, with proper af and all :)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Marsu42 said:
I learned that a) for this you want the lens to be as wide as possible, 50mm doesn't cut it and b) the iq of the 50/1.8 is not good enough. The best lens for this method probably is a old-school, sharp wide angle lens with manually lockable aperture.
Good to know ... thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0