Off camera flash

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to flash and currently struggling here with a lack of sync between flash and camera shutter.

I have a Hahnel captur and IR trigger which is driving a 580EXII speed light that is remote from a 1DX2, both are fitted with Hahnel receivers
It all works as I imagine it should but the flash fires a split second before the shutter operates. Obviously this impacts the image and if anyone could help, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2011
You need to make sure that your shutter speed is at or even below the Camera sync speed,1/250 sec for a 1DX II. If it is 1/250, try a lower shutter speed. If that doesn't work, there is a issue with your trigger, or you may have a failing shutter on the camera.

The shutter takes time to open after receiving the signal from the flash, so it does delay opening, and a focal plane shutter takes time to expose the sensor. That makes the shutter speed critical. Check for firmware updates for your Hahnel gear just in case there is something that fixes it..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
You need to make sure that your shutter speed is at or even below the Camera sync speed,1/250 sec for a 1DX II. If it is 1/250, try a lower shutter speed. If that doesn't work, there is a issue with your trigger, or you may have a failing shutter on the camera.

The shutter takes time to open after receiving the signal from the flash, so it does delay opening, and a focal plane shutter takes time to expose the sensor. That makes the shutter speed critical. Check for firmware updates for your Hahnel gear just in case there is something that fixes it..
Hi.
Thanks for the input
I also just tried it with the 5DSR and the same result. I have tried various shutter speeds too, both above and below 1/200th which appears to be a default setting.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2016
Hi.
Thanks for the input
I also just tried it with the 5DSR and the same result. I have tried various shutter speeds too, both above and below 1/200th which appears to be a default setting.

Hi,

When you say the flash is firing a split second before you take the image do you mean that your actual flash exposure does not take place? Is your final image without the flash exposure? If you're in TTL then there will be a preflash before the actual flash fires. Could it be that you are referring to the pre-flash?

Please note:

1) You should not set the camera shutter speed above the camera sync speed (as pointed out by @Mt Spokane Photography) unless you are in HSS.
2) Please check whether your transmitter(s) and receivers are compatible with the camera model. Usually, this should not be a problem but it's safe to check anyways.

If you are still having a problem then you should check your settings if there is any conflict. The last resort is to take help from Canon service center.

Regards
Suman

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Hi.
Thanks for the input
Looks like the trigger of the flash unit may be set to a delayed execution. or it is so in error. It could be a compatibility issue in theory.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Upvote 0
Hi,

When you say the flash is firing a split second before you take the image do you mean that your actual flash exposure does not take place? Is your final image without the flash exposure? If you're in TTL then there will be a preflash before the actual flash fires. Could it be that you are referring to the pre-flash?

Please note:

1) You should not set the camera shutter speed above the camera sync speed (as pointed out by @Mt Spokane Photography) unless you are in HSS.
2) Please check whether your transmitter(s) and receivers are compatible with the camera model. Usually, this should not be a problem but it's safe to check anyways.

If you are still having a problem then you should check your settings if there is any conflict. The last resort is to take help from Canon service center.

Regards
Suman

Hi Suman.
I set it in manual mode and the flash does take place but it happens maybe a 10th second before the camera shutter, so in effect it has no effect.

1) All good with the camera sync speed. I have the issue no matter what speed I use and also with a different camera too.
2) I now suspect compatibility may be the issue. The trigger works fine for shutter release and in IR/Sound/Light mode etc. When I add flash to the mix, both on and off camera, I have the problem.

I have sent a TQ direct to the trigger manufacturer.

Cheers.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2016
Upvote 0
Hi Suman.
I set it in manual mode and the flash does take place but it happens maybe a 10th second before the camera shutter, so in effect it has no effect.

1) All good with the camera sync speed. I have the issue no matter what speed I use and also with a different camera too.
2) I now suspect compatibility may be the issue. The trigger works fine for shutter release and in IR/Sound/Light mode etc. When I add flash to the mix, both on and off camera, I have the problem.

I have sent a TQ direct to the trigger manufacturer.

Cheers.
Mike.

Hi, Mike. I hope your issue gets resolved. Please let us know what the issue is when you find out.

Regards
Suman

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.
I'm pleased to say that things are now good.
It appeared to be a compatibility issue which only half crippled the system. I was able to overcome it by hard wiring one of the receivers directly to the camera.
Hahnel have an excellent TQ response, the two emails I sent them were both replied to very promptly.
Thanks
Mike.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0