Official Canon EOS 6D Mark II Sample Images and Videos

M42

Jun 19, 2017
There are some reasons to be concerned with the dynamic range. Here are a couple of points :
First, a lot of people noted the following highlight on DPR hands-on preview : "When shadow areas are lifted by a couple of stops, there's no obvious banding, but noise becomes prominent". However, the previous sentence is much more revealing : "According to Canon representatives, the 6D Mark II should outperform the original 6D (which it very evidently does) but may not offer the same kind of dynamic range and absolute resolution of the EOS 5D Mark IV.".

Then, there are the features : when the no-4K information leaked, many readers here and elsewhere complained that even to generate stable 1080P you might want to shoot 4K and stabilize in post. Then we learned that the camera would have electronic stabilization. So while it might not have 4K, it should be able to record smooth 1080P without having to sacrifice more resolution. I think most people were surprised to see that the 6D2 can generate in-camera HDR jpeg (manual, p253). I am assuming that this is perhaps to patch the actual lack of DR of the camera.

Finally there are the measurements made from the leaked CR2 : all we need to compute is the mean and the standard deviation of the values in the masked portions of the sensor (top and left bands, and avoiding the few rows storing the extra metadata there). That value is not dependent of the scene shot, only the ISO setting, and tells you the dynamic range as follow :
DR = log2((maxQ-mean(mask))/std(mask))
and where maxQ is the maximum value of the ADC (16383 for 14bits). With this expression, the two leaked 100ISO images achieve 11.04Ev DR (512 mean floor and 7.54 std.dev/noise); the 1600ISO image achieves 10.08Ev (2048 mean floor and 13.25 std.dev/noise) and the 40000ISO image achieves 6.95Ev (2048 mean floor and 115.6 std.dev/noise).
For comparison, a 5D4 achieves 12.55Ev at 100ISO (512 mean floor and 2.65 std.dev/noise), 10.62Ev at 1600ISO (2048 mean floor, 9.09 std.dev/noise), 8.16Ev at 12800ISO (2048 mean value, 49.98 std.dev/noise) and 7.01Ev at 32000ISO (2048 mean floor, 111.10 std.dev/noise). An 80D achieves 12.5Ev at 100ISO (512 mean floor, 2.73 std.dev/noise) and 6.92Ev at 12800ISO (2048 mean floor, 118.38 std.dev/iso).
If we get more 6D2 CR2s we will be able to get a much better idea of that DR curve. But for now, it looks as if the low ISO DR is even lower than the 80D (-1.5Ev), while the high ISO DR might be slightly over the 5D4 after catching up probably around 3200ISO...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I Agree with your. It is truly amazing. :-[

michi said:
I'm always surprised to see people arguing over these meaningless sample pictures. Why waste your time? Discussing, sure. But arguing over no facts? If you want real numbers and samples, you will just have to wait a few more weeks until all the usual places do their reviews.

Upvote 0
LesC said:
So if it's not even available yet, are the pictures posted on the FM forum from a pre-production model anyway.

I'm perfectly confident that it will be better than the original 6D which I'm still very happy with.

Now confirmed that it was a retail box with Demo sticker on it. Typically sent out to people to do reviews ahead of release. This is the real sensor....more RAWs have been analyzed now and an entire graph is now posted on FM comparing to 6D and 5D4....it is very similar to 6D, just a little bit worse but probably unnoticeable in real life. It is a significant drop from the 5D4 even up to 800ISO and a bit beyond.

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
LesC said:
So if it's not even available yet, are the pictures posted on the FM forum from a pre-production model anyway.

I'm perfectly confident that it will be better than the original 6D which I'm still very happy with.

Now confirmed that it was a retail box with Demo sticker on it. Typically sent out to people to do reviews ahead of release. This is the real sensor....more RAWs have been analyzed now and an entire graph is now posted on FM comparing to 6D and 5D4....it is very similar to 6D, just a little bit worse but probably unnoticeable in real life. It is a significant drop from the 5D4 even up to 800ISO and a bit beyond.

Its worse than the 6D in both DR and noise as reported.

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:

michi said:
I'm always surprised to see people arguing over these meaningless sample pictures. Why waste your time? Discussing, sure. But arguing over no facts? If you want real numbers and samples, you will just have to wait a few more weeks until all the usual places do their reviews.

The only thing truly amazing is fanboys ignoring the facts.

Upvote 0
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

And now there are a second set of RAW images from a different 6D2 camera in a Shanghai camera store. The RAWs were provided and the results are the same.

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

And now there are a second set of RAW images from a different 6D2 camera in a Shanghai camera store. The RAWs were provided and the results are the same.

Well, I believe the 6D2 is going to take great images, as 6D does too. But what exactly are we getting after 4 years of development? Tilty-flippy screen and better autofocus? And that's just it?

Upvote 0

Romain

Click by chance, everyday...
Dec 20, 2016
Hey!! First post here :)... I'm french so i understand every word on FM! :p When a product is excellent, on FM they never hesitate to use words like "superb" "awesome" "great" "excellent" etc... Not the case here for digital noise at high iso: just "good" and they said not over 6400 iso... What is your conclusion?? But the only thing i remember the first time i read it was 30Mb/s IPB in FHD only...lol... Vade retro video shooters!! 26mpx, better AF, TflipScreen : is it a firmware update? And where's the pop up flash for my macro shots?? Nobody talks about pop up flash but it's a huge mistake for macro shots on FF with the 100mm L!! I'm really disapointed for me it's "The dealbreaker" (with the poor video capacities too). Ok i'll buy an A7sII or III for video because i own a MC-11 EF adapter, wait the 90d and i'll stick with my 70d and my 6D, i trust them. I never failed with this combo in every aspect of photography or videography. In Europe 6DII 2100e NO WAY!! 1500e OK i'll run to the store just for my photography projects with my bunch of Canon glasses and other EF third party lenses!! CANON COULD YOU MOVE YOUR ASS PLZ, DO YOUR CYCLES SHORTER AND BETTER NOW :mad: ;D

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
-pekr- said:
arbitrage said:
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

Well, I believe the 6D2 is going to take great images, as 6D does too. But what exactly are we getting after 4 years of development? Tilty-flippy screen and better autofocus? And that's just it?
I saw a new Honda today drive past me doing 130KPH, so that's as fast as you can drive a Honda.....

Makes as much sense as I saw a picture that has 11.9 stops of DR, so that's all that the camera is capable of..... if you want to analyze the camera for DR, you need to specifically take a picture of a high DR scene and not just some random sample image...... particularly since sample images are not going to be picked that show the limitations of the camera....

Wait until someone reputable takes a camera off of a retail shelf and specifically tests for DR.... and while everyone is busy panicking over rumors, remember that the native ISO is HIGHER on the 6D2 than the 5D4

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
take it easy with calling people names around here. what you called a "fact" is not a fact untill is proven by a reputable methodologies and by a reputable test authority (DXO for an instance).
you are panicking over unconfirmed infromation that I call "NOISE". you cannot draw a reliable conclusion over those so called facts. If base ISO DR levels are so important to you and you are in doubt, then cancel you preorder and buy something that suits your requirements better. Canon or whatever.
honestly, I do not see how even 1.5 stop of difference of DR can possibly prevent you from delivering stunning images. ask people shooting with 5D mark III professionally. And once again, trust me, I am not a fanboy, far from it. I am a mature and balanced person that used to act based on substantiated and verifiable (real) FACTS instead.

-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

Upvote 0
I've been following the release of the 6d2 with great interest over the last few months, and I honestly believe that this Fred Miranda is nonsense.

Canon representatives clearly stated on several interviews while presenting the camera that the sensors for the 6d2 have been designed and produced using the same pixel and sensor technology on the 5dm4. If anything it would only make sense to improve on DR and high ISO performance (albeit marginally) due to the lower resolution.
The camera is being marketed as a low light and landscape camera, with vast improvements over it's predecessor, it would not be logical to expect otherwise.

I've pre-ordered this camera for a couple of reasons.
I have trust in Canon that this camera will be an improvement over the already great 6D.
This is still the lightest FF DSLR, I'm sure it will make a fantastic lightweight/versatile kit when paired with a 24-70f4L and a 50f1.8 for multi-day hikes, where every gram counts and so does reliability and battery life.
Low light focusing.
Great ergonomics, tilt-screen and DPAF is definitely a big plus when you get used to it.

My only concern/unknown now is on how strong the AA filter will be on this camera. Something that surprisingly hasn't popped up for discussion yet on the forum :p

Upvote 0
PHomero said:
I've been following the release of the 6d2 with great interest over the last few months, and I honestly believe that this Fred Miranda is nonsense.

Canon representatives clearly stated on several interviews while presenting the camera that the sensors for the 6d2 have been designed and produced using the same pixel and sensor technology on the 5dm4. If anything it would only make sense to improve on DR and high ISO performance (albeit marginally) due to the lower resolution.
The camera is being marketed as a low light and landscape camera, with vast improvements over it's predecessor, it would not be logical to expect otherwise.

I've pre-ordered this camera for a couple of reasons.
I have trust in Canon that this camera will be an improvement over the already great 6D.
This is still the lightest FF DSLR, I'm sure it will make a fantastic lightweight/versatile kit when paired with a 24-70f4L and a 50f1.8 for multi-day hikes, where every gram counts and so does reliability and battery life.
Low light focusing.
Great ergonomics, tilt-screen and DPAF is definitely a big plus when you get used to it.

My only concern/unknown now is on how strong the AA filter will be on this camera. Something that surprisingly hasn't popped up for discussion yet on the forum :p

I hope you are right. And I absolutely agree about the features. I think it looks like a wonderful camera. And compared to my 6D I have zero doubt that I would be able to take images equally as good (if not better) with less effort due to the additional features.

That said. I cancelled my preorder because with the lack of hard evidence right now showing any increases in IQ, and all the current (whether trustworthy or not) evidence showing the opposite, its just not a chance I want to take. So I would appreciate all the features and updates, but what I am not sure about is whether those on their own are worth the cost to me. So, if it turns out that there is a noticeable improvement in IQ, all I lose now is a little bit of time while I wait for stocks to replenish... and its not like I somehow wont be able to continue using my 6D until then. And if it turns out that there isnt any real improvement in IQ, well, I still think it will be a great camera and a nice upgrade, but I can make a determination whether its worth it for me after real reviews start coming out. I rarely preorder things. I had my reasons, but for me I think I definitely jumped the gun. Still keeping my fingers crossed that this camera turns out to be everything I personally was hoping for.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

Or hateboys looking to argue over one single source of images...

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
-pekr- said:
arbitrage said:
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

I saw a new Honda today drive past me doing 130KPH, so that's as fast as you can drive a Honda.....

Makes as much sense as I saw a picture that has 11.9 stops of DR, so that's all that the camera is capable of..... if you want to analyze the camera for DR, you need to specifically take a picture of a high DR scene and not just some random sample image...... particularly since sample images are not going to be picked that show the limitations of the camera....

Wait until someone reputable takes a camera off of a retail shelf and specifically tests for DR.... and while everyone is busy panicking over rumors, remember that the native ISO is HIGHER on the 6D2 than the 5D4

Remember that Canon RAWs have a masked area used in DR analysis by all the reputable sites and therefore don't always need the entire range in the image. That said, if you go back to the first posts by cgarcia on FM he discusses just this and how he analyzed the RAWs to see which ones did have proper white points to go along with the masked area (black point) to be suitable to do the DR analysis.

Anyways, it will all be proven or disproven in a week or so when big sites are able to release their reviews....I'm sure DPR already has their "POOR DR" article written up ready to post as they of course already have a 6D2 in testing.

I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on the native ISO range to predict actual ISO results. My D500 has 51200 native and of course my 5D4 blows it away at high-ISO with a lower range.

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
Don Haines said:
-pekr- said:
arbitrage said:
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

Remember that Canon RAWs have a masked area used in DR analysis by all the reputable sites and therefore don't always need the entire range in the image. That said, if you go back to the first posts by cgarcia on FM he discusses just this and how he analyzed the RAWs to see which ones did have proper white points to go along with the masked area (black point) to be suitable to do the DR analysis.

Anyways, it will all be proven or disproven in a week or so when big sites are able to release their reviews....I'm sure DPR already has their "POOR DR" article written up ready to post as they of course already have a 6D2 in testing.

I also wouldn't put too much emphasis on the native ISO range to predict actual ISO results. My D500 has 51200 native and of course my 5D4 blows it away at high-ISO with a lower range.

Someone posted on the FM forum that they reached out to Canon Sweden and they denied any production cameras being made available to anyone.

Now, I guess these cameras being tested are in the Asian hemisphere, and maybe one hand doesn't talk with the other...

Upvote 0
CanonCams said:
arbitrage said:
Don Haines said:
-pekr- said:
arbitrage said:
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

Someone posted on the FM forum that they reached out to Canon Sweden and they denied any production cameras being made available to anyone.

Now, I guess these cameras being tested are in the Asian hemisphere, and maybe one hand doesn't talk with the other...

Canon Sweden is where I get all my reliable info about cameras (insert sarcasm emoji here). Anyways, the photographer who provided the first RAW files is a respected professional in New Zealand....I doubt he has any reason to post falsified RAWs and lie about having the camera. The second guy who is now providing RAW files got them from a demo in Shanghai....maybe more doubtful but again the RAWs appear legit.

Upvote 0
arbitrage said:
CanonCams said:
arbitrage said:
Don Haines said:
-pekr- said:
arbitrage said:
-pekr- said:
SecureGSM said:

michi said:

My thoughts exactly.

Canon Sweden is where I get all my reliable info about cameras (insert sarcasm emoji here). Anyways, the photographer who provided the first RAW files is a respected professional in New Zealand....I doubt he has any reason to post falsified RAWs and lie about having the camera. The second guy who is now providing RAW files got them from a demo in Shanghai....maybe more doubtful but again the RAWs appear legit.

Then it's likely the MK II will be a flop.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
CanonCams said:
Then it's likely the MK II will be a flop.

It's still all open and one big IF. Methodology and credibility of cgarcia may be immaculate, but there is a big question about finalization of tested body and more importantly, whether the software were able to properly read CR2 file from a brand new camera. There are many variables why it could resulted like this. It's too early to draw any relevant conclusions and I suggest patience.

And if this is indeed Canon's fluke and even 80D outperforms this sensor, then I hope the sales will be low and Canon will be taught a lesson. But I still find hard to believe that Canon would make such a major design flaw on quite anticipated camera body...

Upvote 0