Official DXOMark Sensor Score for the EOS-1D X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishnose said:
Interestingly, over at Nikonrumors, DxO and their test results are almost never mentioned. Neither is Canon.
They're too busy discussing using their cameras and photography... lens recommendations, best body for specific purposes and the like.

None of the desperate fighting seen here.

Are you sure, just saw one on their first page "DxOMark test results for Nikon 1 J2 mirrorless camera are out"
And:
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/09/19/nikon-d600-gets-second-best-dxomark-score-after-the-d800e.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2010/11/08/dxomark-tests-the-nikon-d7000.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/20/nikon-d4-tested-at-dxomark-gets-second-best-overall-score.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/23/nikon-d800-gets-tested-at-dxomark-gets-the-1-spot.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/06/nikon-d3200-dxomark-score-second-best-aps-c-camera-ever.aspx/
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/21/there-is-a-new-dxomark-king-nikon-d800e.aspx/nikon-d800e-dxomark-test-results/

Upvote 0
simonxu11 said:
Fishnose said:
Interestingly, over at Nikonrumors, DxO and their test results are almost never mentioned. Neither is Canon.
They're too busy discussing using their cameras and photography... lens recommendations, best body for specific purposes and the like.

Are you sure, just saw one on their first page "DxOMark test results for Nikon 1 J2 mirrorless camera are out"
Ah, but I'm talking about the forum there. There nobody could care less about DxO. There they discuss cameras and photography. Not DxO.

What is published on the first page of the site is a different story. That after all is the admin giving us news, just like here.

And even in the comments to the front page posts, DxO is hardly mentioned. Almost all discussion in the comments threads on the front page is complaints about Nikon doing this that, or not doing this or that ('when is the D400 coming' etc). Typical nonsense you find in any similar situation, whether it's cameras, software, guitars, games, computer parts or smartphones or whatever. People just complain and bitch.

Upvote 0
Oct 19, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
AmbientLight said:
Ok, so here I am a physicist (no I am not a student anymore) and I don't "FEEL" anything regarding DXO.

Are you trying to kid us all here? Get a grip on reality.

Social scientists 'feel' things. Real scientists quantify things....

Do you really want to say that you do not "FEEL" what is behind the numbers in a real life or do not want to "FEEL" them?
Simple example - you are leaving your apartment, checking the weather gadget and it tells that in one hour temperature will drop down from 70F to 41F and wind speed will rise from 1m/c to 30m/c. And you will be telling that you do not "feel" what all that means and what you need to do regarding that and what to put on? I can't believe that ))))))) And there thousands examples like this)))
I think this example above clearly clarifies what I meant in my posts using word “FEEL” the numbers.
And I really appreciate your sense of humor but as usual to make a joke one need to turn things upside down to make things look funny.
And here order of things does matter and significant.
First of course are things quantified by numbers (nobody argues about that) and then how one realize or understand what is behind that numbers ("forest behind the trees") - one can name it "FEEL", "VISUALIZE", "IMAGINE" - call it whatever you want.
I have no doubts that you know this better than me ))))
Regarding DXO SCORE discussion my point was that it is absolutely pointless to argue about SCORE results, one need to see at measurements curves and understand or "feel" how this correlates to real life.
Arguing about one dimensional SCORE value is the same as to argue about mapping multi-dimensional space into one dimensional. No need to be a scientist to know that mapping multidimensional space into single dimensional space has infinite number of solutions and each one could be correct depending on initial mapping conditions. In addition this mapping is not reversible - you cannot revert or map it back to the original space - here is again infinite number of solutions for that.

Any discussion should be constructive and not destructive – so something useful could result as outcome of that and could be used for benefit of all involved.
Again back to DXO - and if they are listening – they could easily reconcile most (but not all of course) people on all the forums by introducing several different sensor scores based on the target usage and carefully defined metrics to get right score for each of the usage domains e.g.:
1. Landscape/studio photography
2. General use photography (no extreme conditions)
3. Sport/events/shows photography for ISO above 1600 or may be even above ISO 3200
4. Best universal shooting – suitable to work in any extreme conditions
5. Keep their own DXO metrics.
Then from drop down menu list anyone can select criteria which he want to use to and see what are sensors ranking and what is the best sensor for this specific domain.
There is no big deal to do that.
This could be just better way to present measurements results to specific groups of photographers.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Fishnose said:

I love my Canon gear, but this might be the best reason yet to switch to Nikon ;D

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
nightbreath said:
friedmud said:
If you had a camera that had the DR of the human eye but only shot one frame every 10 minutes at ISO 100 only and was only manual focus...
I've read in a book of a Russian author (not sure if it was translated to English) that human eye has 5-6 stops of DR. And the reason we can see much bigger range of lightness levels is the ability of our eyes to adapt to the rapidly changing environment.

The book's author was a researcher in photography so this statement might be true. Did anyone hear anything like that?

Yes I have that somewhere.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
sanj said:
nightbreath said:
friedmud said:
If you had a camera that had the DR of the human eye but only shot one frame every 10 minutes at ISO 100 only and was only manual focus...
I've read in a book of a Russian author (not sure if it was translated to English) that human eye has 5-6 stops of DR. And the reason we can see much bigger range of lightness levels is the ability of our eyes to adapt to the rapidly changing environment.

The book's author was a researcher in photography so this statement might be true. Did anyone hear anything like that?

I always was told our eye has a massive DR but not because of the optics but how our brain can dynamically adjust areas of a scene to make blacks brighter and highlights darker. Kinda like dynamic area ISO.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
RLPhoto said:
sanj said:
nightbreath said:
friedmud said:

I always was told our eye has a massive DR but not because of the optics but how our brain can dynamically adjust areas of a scene to make blacks brighter and highlights darker. Kinda like dynamic area ISO.

Dynamic range is the total sensitivity range. Just like with a camera and a computer, the eye/brain configuration chooses which range out of the total sensitivity range to "process to". I think our eyes are capable of well more than 5-6 stops on average at any given moment, but I do not believe we can see the entire 25+ stop dynamic range our eyes have all at once. Exactly how much we can see in any one go I can't say, although if I compare my eyes to my 7D, I can definitely see more than 11 stops at a time. My 7D will either clip highlights or block shadows if I try to capture a scene with 12 stops, but my eyes seem to concurrently handle the highlights and shadows of the same scenes just fine.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:
sanj said:
nightbreath said:
friedmud said:

Dynamic range is the total sensitivity range. Just like with a camera and a computer, the eye/brain configuration chooses which range out of the total sensitivity range to "process to". I think our eyes are capable of well more than 5-6 stops on average at any given moment, but I do not believe we can see the entire 25+ stop dynamic range our eyes have all at once. Exactly how much we can see in any one go I can't say, although if I compare my eyes to my 7D, I can definitely see more than 11 stops at a time. My 7D will either clip highlights or block shadows if I try to capture a scene with 12 stops, but my eyes seem to concurrently handle the highlights and shadows of the same scenes just fine.

Our eyes are like D800 where we can (naturally) pull out a lot of shadow details instantly.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
RLPhoto said:
sanj said:
nightbreath said:
friedmud said:

It is not your eyes, it is your brain that makes adjustments (a lot faster than your eyes) e.g. walk from a pitch black room out through a door into bright sunlight, your eyes don't see the green grass in front of you as they're adjusting, but your brain interpolates based on previous cognitive experience (it knows what green looks like and what grass looks like and further knows that grass = green)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.