Olympus announces the M-D E-M1X, an EOS-1D X Mark II killer?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Latest OM-D Body Provides Absolute Confidence for Professional Photographers
CENTER VALLEY, PA., January 24, 2019 – Today Olympus expands the OM-D series with the introduction of the OM-D E-M1X professional Micro Four Thirds®interchangeable lens camera. The Olympus OM-D E-M1X is packed with industry leading speed, performance, reliability and high-quality image output that rivals that of full-frame DSLRs. This new professional model, positioned alongside the award-winning Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, incorporates an integrated vertical grip to provide a secure grip and superior operability, whether held horizontally or vertically and offers the world’s highest[1] image stabilization performance with approximately 7.5 shutter speed steps of compensation. Zero-lag Pro Capture...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
As I said in the other M1X thread (CR: maybe merge them?):

Great spec list.
Somehow I am glad that I ended up with Canon FF before an OM-D E-M1 entered the market.
Maybe I wouldn't be here then.
Of course I prefer the form factor of the OM-D E-M1 (Mark II) but I am sure this high FPS beast will be balanced well together with a M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm 1:4.0 IS PRO or the f/2.8 M.ZUIKO PRO zooms (+ the latest M.ZUIKO PRO announcements).

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
There you go.. the kind of camera that canon needs to release for the EOS R. Now that would be a dream and sell like hotcakes.. for us gear heads at least. on a side note, Olympus, you must be reading this forum.. lol
Would require four or five processors and a large structure to handle the data from a ff sensor and to dissipate all the heat from the processors. Maybe someday when the technology arrives.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Would require four or five processors and a large structure to handle the data from a ff sensor and to dissipate all the heat from the processors. Maybe someday when the technology arrives.
The 1DXII has the same number of pixels as the Olympus, so why would it require more processors to process the same amount of sensor data?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Wow! Did I read that right? Optical view finder? If so, kudos to Olympus for that. Hate the electronic VF on my Olympus.
as they say: "The viewfinder features a new optical design using an industry-leading magnification of 0.83x (35mm equivalent). This four-element configuration designed with aspherical and high reflective index lenses provides a clear, distortion-free display right up to the edge of the viewfinder. As found on the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, a 120 fps (progressive scan) high-speed frame rate with a 0.005 second latency are provided for stress-free moving subject photography."

It is an EVF, but I believe that it has an optical assembly in front of it so that you can do diopter adjustments.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
as they say: "The viewfinder features a new optical design using an industry-leading magnification of 0.83x (35mm equivalent). This four-element configuration designed with aspherical and high reflective index lenses provides a clear, distortion-free display right up to the edge of the viewfinder. As found on the OM-D E-M1 Mark II, a 120 fps (progressive scan) high-speed frame rate with a 0.005 second latency are provided for stress-free moving subject photography."

It is an EVF, but I believe that it has an optical assembly in front of it so that you can do diopter adjustments.
Thanks Don. I can't keep up with things like I used to. :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
The 1DXII has the same number of pixels as the Olympus, so why would it require more processors to process the same amount of sensor data?
The features like 60FPS, the 80Mp pixel shifted images, and the autofocus modes take a lot of processing power. This beast is a dual quad-processor, (8 processors to the 1DX2's 3), and has considerably more computing power than the 1DX2. Note that they had to go to the larger body for the heat handling and battery life required to make this fly.....

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The features like 60FPS, the 80Mp pixel shifted images, and the autofocus modes take a lot of processing power. This beast is a dual quad-processor, (8 processors to the 1DX2's 3), and has considerably more computing power than the 1DX2. Note that they had to go to the larger body for the heat handling and battery life required to make this fly.....
I know, but why would a 20 mpx FF require 4-5 processors to do the same things that a 20 mpx 4/3 does with 2?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB

ACTUALLY... it's worse than that. :)

It has TWO dual-quad processors... so there are 16 processor cores in the EM1x!

from the spec list on Oly's web site and also in report at imaging-resource.

quote excerpt from wikipedia on the TruePic VIII:

"The TruePic VIII Image Processor uses a dual quad core system with four CPU cores and four image processing cores.."

So seems like a general purpose 4-core CPU + another dedicated, image-processing-optimized, 4-core, DSP-like processor in each TruePic VIII package.

That's a heck of a lot of bit-flippin' potential!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It's actually dual 8-cores processors for a total of 16 cores. Unfortunately the camera is basically just an E-M1ii in a larger body with some firmware upgrades at twice the price. I'll be shocked if this thing doesn't completely tank, and that comes from someone who has been shooting m43 exclusively for almost 3 years now.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
It's actually dual 8-cores processors for a total of 16 cores. Unfortunately the camera is basically just an E-M1ii in a larger body with some firmware upgrades at twice the price. I'll be shocked if this thing doesn't completely tank, and that comes from someone who has been shooting m43 exclusively for almost 3 years now.

I don't think it'll "tank" but it's not going to be a huge seller at that price when it has to compete with all the APSC & FF gear out there which are also very capable now.

I think it's niche will be rugged reportage and wildlife use where it can deliver adequate image quality in a smaller lighter package which will be up to the job in any weather. Not a big number in marketing but how many high end bodies does any mfr sell compared to their mainstream models? Existing MFT pro's who've been wishing for something a bit more beefy may be able justify adding this to their kit.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I know, but why would a 20 mpx FF require 4-5 processors to do the same things that a 20 mpx 4/3 does with 2?
The thing is, it isn’t doing the same thing. The AF system is very AI intensive, it has a 60FPS burst rate, and then we have the 50 and 80 megapixel modes. This is the level of computing power that one needs for the latest and greatest functions.

The sensor format really does not matter to the computing needs, if Canon wants to ramp up with a R equivalent of the 1DX2, they are going to need to double the computing power

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The thing is, it isn’t doing the same thing. The AF system is very AI intensive, it has a 60FPS burst rate, and then we have the 50 and 80 megapixel modes. This is the level of computing power that one needs for the latest and greatest functions.

The sensor format really does not matter to the computing needs, if Canon wants to ramp up with a R equivalent of the 1DX2, they are going to need to double the computing power
I ask questions to try and understand what I don't understand, so please bear with me as I still don't understand. Your keep explaining why the MFT requires a huge amount of computing power, which I do understand. What I don't understand is why the FF should require double the computing power of the MFT. To my naif understanding, it seems that the MFT is producing data from 20.6mpx that has to be processed and the FF is producing a very similar 20.2 mpx of data and so the same amount of computing power is needed for image processing for both. So, where does the FF have to have double the computing power of the MFT? Is it because they will be using different AF systems or what?

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I ask questions to try and understand what I don't understand, so please bear with me as I still don't understand. Your keep explaining why the MFT requires a huge amount of computing power, which I do understand. What I don't understand is why the FF should require double the computing power of the MFT. To my naif understanding, it seems that the MFT is producing data from 20.6mpx that has to be processed and the FF is producing a very similar 20.2 mpx of data and so the same amount of computing power is needed for image processing for both. So, where does the FF have to have double the computing power of the MFT? Is it because they will be using different AF systems or what?
Maybe I'm wrong but I think Don is saying EVF and hybrid or DP AF will hog up a ton of CPU relative to OVF and dedicated PDAF. So to get the exceptional AF of the 1DX2 on a mirrorless camera, it will take a lot more processing power.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

I am tempted, temporarily anyway. Time will probably change that. Can't stand the ergonomics on my Olympus E-M5 Mark II, but this is different. If the grandson was school age and playing sports it would be much more tempting. If I were near a beach full of beach bunnies I think I'd get one for sure. ;) This seems to be a really nice camera. I get good output from the one I have, I just hate the ergonomics. Of course if money wasn't a problem... 1DX II and a 600L would be my way forward. :)

Upvote 0