OMG, what should I do? DPReview scores Eos R just at 79 - ;-)

I just read the brand new review of the EOS R (https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r/11).
OMG! What should I do? I bought one and I arranged to work with it and it takes really fine and pleasent pictures!
Am I just to senile to recognize the 10 points lack (between my Sonys and the Eos R)?
Should I join an DPReview course in photographing to learn how to see the differences between the holys and the garbages?
Should I unsubscribe my German magazines (Color Foto and Fotomagazin) as they rated the Eos R well? They seem not knowing what they are talking about, because DPReview rates it low?

o_O:ROFLMAO:;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I just read the brand new review of the EOS R (https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r/11).
OMG! What should I do? I bought one and I arranged to work with it and it takes really fine and pleasent pictures!
Am I just to senile to recognize the 10 points lack (between my Sonys and the Eos R)?
Should I join an DPReview course in photographing to learn how to see the differences between the holys and the garbages?
Should I unsubscribe my German magazines (Color Foto and Fotomagazin) as they rated the Eos R well? They seem not knowing what they are talking about, because DPReview rates it low?

o_O:ROFLMAO:;)
Honestly, I would also unsubscribe those unqualified German magazines, which I consider to be as unreliable as DPReview.
Lean back, relax and enjoy your excellent camera, no matter whether these "gurus" like or dislike it. There are often subjectivity, personal preferences or, worse, money, involved in camera, car or any kind of testing!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
i wonder sometimes if the reviewers who bash a product (of any category, not only cameras) which sells like hot cakes take a step back and rethink their assessment or they stand by their original opinion...

And I wonder how many people actually make buying decisions based on DPR. DPR generates internet buzz, but...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
When DPreview rates something low that’s usually a very good sign to get one:D

I never had so much fun with a camera ever, AF I can completely trust is just awesome. I tried in extremely backlit situations without my lens hood where I know the 1dx2 would struggle big time and it simply works, absolutely crazy.
Actually if you look at the list of things the like about the R and the list of things they don't like, it is very revealing. Basically, they like the R for single shot picture quality and AF, along with the touchscreen interface, but mark it down on video and spray and pray shooting. And of course they say the Sony sensor is a little bit better than the R sensor on low ISO shadow lifting. So once again the issue is the overall number, more than it is the specific findings.

Upvote 0
The review seems that it has mentioned the advantages and disadvantages fairly. But still some points are debatable (e.g. "Evaluative metering may vary greatly from one shot to the next of the same scene") and some are based on subjective experience with the camera (e.g. "Quirky, questionable ergonomics may turn off some users") that may vary from user to user. And some features that matter a lot to the actual users are overlooked, such as ability to AF in low/back-lit light.
But for me, for every product that they review regardless of brand and make, the overall score is totally nonsense and meaningless.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The review seems that it has mentioned the advantages and disadvantages fairly. But still some points are debatable (e.g. "Evaluative metering may vary greatly from one shot to the next of the same scene") and some are based on subjective experience with the camera (e.g. "Quirky, questionable ergonomics may turn off some users") that may vary from user to user. And some features that matter a lot to the actual users are overlooked, such as ability to AF in low/back-lit light.
But for me, for every product that they review regardless of brand and make, the overall score is totally nonsense and meaningless.
Well, overall magic numbers are what rev up the buzz. But do they drive sales?

Upvote 0
When DPreview rates something low that’s usually a very good sign to get one:D

I never had so much fun with a camera ever, AF I can completely trust is just awesome. I tried in extremely backlit situations without my lens hood where I know the 1dx2 would struggle big time and it simply works, absolutely crazy.

Yess, Sir!
And I saved a lot of money, when I changed almost all of my lenses (inclusive the big white ones) WITHOUT any dust on the sensor!!!! Because this hillbilly (Germanism) product has closed the shutter :eek:. (I spent a lot of money by cleaning my Sony sensors - so I do not change the lenses anymore. Just under our photoclub laminar flow-dust clean-workbench :geek:).

There are really a lot of shortcomings (DPReview is saying right), but how much bashing they did in the last weeks, is not correct. I´d like to see this at the coming Sony alphas too... :p (As I have also a lot to complain about... just think of the menue and the touch-display....)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yess, Sir!
And I saved a lot of money, when I changed almost all of my lenses (inclusive the big white ones) WITHOUT any dust on the sensor!!!! Because this hillbilly (Germanism) product has closed the shutter :eek:. (I spent a lot of money by cleaning my Sony sensors - so I do not change the lenses anymore. Just under our photoclub laminar flow-dust clean-workbench :geek:).

There are really a lot of shortcomings (DPReview is saying right), but how much bashing they did in the last weeks, is not correct. I´d like to see this at the coming Sony alphas too... :p (As I have also a lot to complain about... just think of the menue and the touch-display....)
Alpha camera defects are acknowledged only after the next model comes out and does not have them.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Before you get too worried about how the ratings score is, just remember that this is just an opinion. The magic number is based on one person's criteria and not on yours.

For example, when I looked at the 7D2, my first question was "is it well sealed?" The answer was yes, and for me, everything else really did not matter. Then again, if you are shooting in salt spray and below freezing, you are probably not the typical user. For many of us, "magic numbers" are worthless.

My favourite "magic number" comes from the good folks at DXO, who give a higher number to the 50F1.8 than they give to the 600F4. That's right, the cheapest lens in the Canon lineup scores higher than the most expensive lens!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I was actually leaning towards perhaps taking the leap of faith, but this review has me thinking twice...really should hold off until the R line fills out some more/the early bugs and quirks get addressed. That said, I was an early adopter of the original EOS M despite everyone panning it and liked it very much, but that was for a very specific purpose (to replace my old Elph P&S as the "take everywhere/get into stadiums" camera). Also, the financial commitment was lower (although not cheap, of course).

The issue is not having a similar use case for the R to justify the high asking price- too slow to replace a 5D4 and too large to replace an M6. I must admit the flip-screen is awesome though, and the tech has real potential. That said, it's not realized yet...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I was actually leaning towards perhaps taking the leap of faith, but this review has me thinking twice...really should hold off until the R line fills out some more/the early bugs and quirks get addressed. That said, I was an early adopter of the original EOS M despite everyone panning it and liked it very much, but that was for a very specific purpose (to replace my old Elph P&S as the "take everywhere/get into stadiums" camera). Also, the financial commitment was lower (although not cheap, of course).

The issue is not having a similar use case for the R to justify the high asking price- too slow to replace a 5D4 and too large to replace an M6. I must admit the flip-screen is awesome though, and the tech has real potential. That said, it's not realized yet...
See if you can borrow one or rent one. See how YOU like it. Nobody else's opinion counts here.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

The DPR review made clear the role that RF lenses are starting to play in the market. The Canon R may not be the right camera, but do you really want to turn your back on RF (and EF) lenses? If you already have Canon equipment, maybe sitting tight for a while makes sense. But if you are in a position where you need to make a move now, do you really want to go with Sony or Nikon and turn your back on RF lenses? So, a lot of people may be sitting on the sidelines for a while. At least some people who have some money to play with are going to explore the RF world, especially those that already have EF lenses.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
well deserved low score. Competition delivers more bang for less buck. Shortcomings are obvious, real and not subjective. Anything from no IBIS to slow fps in Servo AF to nerfed 4k crop to to useless M.fn slider and other UI quirks.
So, did you return yours and got the cheaper and not-so-crippled Sony A7 III?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
I bought it, because of the EF-S option, particularly for video, as I already had multiple and it makes for a very light video setup. Cropped 4k is actually useful to me as my focus is wildlife rather than people. For me its the 'real' 6D2 Id been waiting for.

Currently my biggest annoyance is how much clunkier moving the AF point is compared to the M5, even with only using the top right square.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Before you get too worried about how the ratings score is, just remember that this is just an opinion. The magic number is based on one person's criteria and not on yours.

For example, when I looked at the 7D2, my first question was "is it well sealed?" The answer was yes, and for me, everything else really did not matter. Then again, if you are shooting in salt spray and below freezing, you are probably not the typical user. For many of us, "magic numbers" are worthless.

My favourite "magic number" comes from the good folks at DXO, who give a higher number to the 50F1.8 than they give to the 600F4. That's right, the cheapest lens in the Canon lineup scores higher than the most expensive lens!
DXO is right!
For birding, nothing beats the 50mm f 1,8 1st. generation, it's mechanical quality is also sensational.
The 600 mm's reputation for low IQ is well deserved, even the Kodak Brownie lens is better.

Upvote 0