ON1 announces Photo RAW 2019.2, save 20% with our coupon code

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Portland, OR – January 29, 2019 – ON1, Inc announces that ON1 Photo RAW 2019.2, an all-new photo editing experience and a free update to ON1 Photo RAW 2019, is available today. ON1 Photo RAW 2019.2 includes a powerful new masking feature that leverages AI for generating masks as well as performance enhancements and new camera support.
Key ON1 Photo RAW 2019.2 Details:

NEW AI Quick Mask Tool — Powered by machine learning, the new AI Quick Mask tool can create high-quality masks with just a few strokes as guidance while understanding color, tone, and textures to identify boundaries and create a detailed mask in a fraction of the time compared to other masking techniques
Performance Enhancements
Added support for cameras
Other bug fixes and performance enhancements

Use coupon code CANONRUMORS during checkout to save 20% on either the...

Continue reading...

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
tried the AI masking, seems decent enough. Its nice to have the feature, but still find the haven't done much to control the noise on the blue band for the 80d :-/ doesn't seem like it was controlled in this version either.

Can you explain a bit more on your problem? I'm not sure I understand...

You're trying to correct a noise problem your camera has with On1 Software?

Thanks in advance,

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Can you explain a bit more on your problem? I'm not sure I understand...

You're trying to correct a noise problem your camera has with On1 Software?

Thanks in advance,

C

mentioned it in another thread. At least with the 80d, it seems to have issues processing blue skies and the color profiles for the cameras tend to be innacurate. Their noise control is rather inconsistent, most strikingly with blue skies (at least with the 80d RAWs in win7)

I've played with canon's DPP, LR 6, Affinity Photo and they have quite decent control on the 80D's noise, but On1 2018.5, 2019, 2019.1 and now 2019.2 still seem inconsistent. Unfortunately it's a bit of a deal breaker for me and I can't fully switch to it as my primary processor or a replacement for LR yet. I have to regulate it to a niche product for now. It bums me out because some of their features are really good (esp controls via masking), but noise control is fundamental to me.

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Another issue to consider, as this is after all a Canon-centric forum, is that the new CR3 RAW formats are not supported, and reading their website "there is no schedule for availability for support of Canon lossless...". It is not as if the R is new (9 months after release) or the RP a mystery (released 2 ½ months ago), Lightroom has support for the RP so why not ON1? They do not advertise this in any form or fashion, you find out after purchase. I guess this also includes the M50 and SL-3. Their brilliant solution? Convert to DNG....

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Another issue to consider, as this is after all a Canon-centric forum, is that the new CR3 RAW formats are not supported, and reading their website "there is no schedule for availability for support of Canon lossless...". It is not as if the R is new (9 months after release) or the RP a mystery (released 2 ½ months ago), Lightroom has support for the RP so why not ON1? They do not advertise this in any form or fashion, you find out after purchase. I guess this also includes the M50 and SL-3. Their brilliant solution? Convert to DNG....

Interesting...I'd not seen this before.....

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
That's the kicker with them and Skylum - I'm not really interested in being pulled away from LR to move to an application that doesn't natively support my camera.

Well I'm not familiar with Skylum, but I know that On1 tends to put updates out during the year....I would think they'd be working on an update to come out fairly soon that covers the newly released cameras.....?

K

Upvote 0
Well I'm not familiar with Skylum, but I know that On1 tends to put updates out during the year....I would think they'd be working on an update to come out fairly soon that covers the newly released cameras.....?

K

Skylum makes updates as well, and it's been a good number of months since the R was released. When questioned, they have no timeline for when they expect to have support. Until it's actually available, both of them are no-sells. I have very little faith that they'll eventually get to it.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017

yikes.. surprised they don't support CR3 yet. that is disturbing.

I have On1 2019 and decided to support them as I was looking for a non-subscription alternative with current format support for when I get a new body. I'll have to keep a closer eye on this when they do their annual trying to convince me to buy the new version.

thanks for the info!

Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston

K
Response from ON1 customer support today: "Unfortunately, we do not have a set date or ETA that we can relay as far as when .CR3 support will be implemented, as our developers are still working on this. We apologize for this inconvenience."
I get the notion of periodic updates but 9 months after the first CR3 files showed up this is very disappointing for a RAW-centric application. I

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Response from ON1 customer support today: "Unfortunately, we do not have a set date or ETA that we can relay as far as when .CR3 support will be implemented, as our developers are still working on this. We apologize for this inconvenience."
I get the notion of periodic updates but 9 months after the first CR3 files showed up this is very disappointing for a RAW-centric application. I

I agree!!!
I know for smaller companies, it might be a bit more difficult, but I"m also pretty cure Canon likely gives out information not the new RAW formats ahead of release to give companies like this more time to incorporate them into their products' workflows.

I would hope that Skylum and On1 are working hard on this to get an update out BEFORE the annual upgrade release......

Will be interesting to see how this works out. I'm a big fan of On1 so far, and hope they get something working with this sooner rather than later...

C

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Just a quick FYI.
I was watching this morning, a recorded streamed webcast from the ON1 folks about the just released On1 RAW 2019.5 edition.
They mentioned at the end, that they were working on the Canon R cameras' CR3 format. Said they were getting close and hoped to have an update ready to go out within a couple of months.

Strangely, they said it was difficult figuring out the "encryption" etc on the new Canon RAW format. Perhaps he got his terms mixed up, I would never have thought that a RAW image format would have 'encryption'....

And also, thought it strange that a company like On1 would have to reverse engineer a new camera RAW format. Doesn't Canon give out to software developers like them, Adobe, etc....an API or sorts to know how to work with their RAW formats?

Or, do they make everyone reverse engineer new RAW camera formats?

C

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
as an update, it looks like CR3 is now avail.

posting here here because I keep getting frustrated as $#$%$# with ON1's colour management and maybe others trying it out have the same issues. It's a tool with a lot of potential, but this and its noise reduction have been keeping me from fully ditching LR

None of ON1's colour profiles seem to be close the canon 80d's landscape colour profiles (unlike LR6). Their interpretation of the Canon 80D landscape profile is horrible and the blues blow out badly and it gives weird artifacts when the background is busy (trees).

I finally did an export of some LR settings to build my own LR equivalent preset. With a bit of tweaking finally have a proper landscape preset that looks decent! lot of work, but now stoked.

Turns out ON1 tends to pre-process the 80D's RAW with excessive contrast, weird mid-tone levels etc. If you use the camera landscape setting the blues over saturate and when you try to lighten the pictures can introduce white halos. After importing and looking at their AI export tool's equivalent to LR I now have a much clearer understanding of how to adjust.. anyways, like any tool, it's about learning it's nuances, this was just a particularly irritating one for me.

Upvote 0