Once and for all, a poll on tripod FLIP or TWIST locks!

Do you prefer flip locks or twist locks on tripod legs?

• Flip Locks

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Twist Locks

Votes: 29 56.9%

• Total voters

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I bought a tripod at K-Mart 50+ years ago. It had twisting leg locks. A year or so ago on a visit to Best Buy, I spent $27 on a new tripod, and gave to old tripod to a friend. The new one has flip locks, and I find them handier. It may not be good for 50 years, though. If I'm still taking pictures in my 90s, maybe I can afford a new tripod, especially if I get a t-s lens by then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
It might be the manufacturer, but I have a Manfrotto with flip locks and 7 of the 12 are broken making the tripod next to useless. I complained to Manfrotto but to replace the legs is more expensive than to buy a new - but this time a different brand for sure - tripod. The unit was never abused, just shoddy crappy product.

Which model? Manfrotto sells spare parts (on its site you can find the exploded view with part numbers) - no need to replace the whole legs, only the broken locks. Anyway a tripod become useless and would need to be replaced well before more than 50% of locks are broken. My 055Pro and 680B have about twenty years and no lock ever broke.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Been using flip locks on various makes of tripod for over 40 years, never had one break or slip. I look for tripods and monopods with flip locks, I don't like the twist locks but I have only tried them in shops. I guess you start with something and if you are happy you stick with what you know.
We have been mostly using Manfroto tripods “forever” in the labs, mostly for holding antennas. Have yet to see a broken lock on any of them, with the exception of when we put one in an environmental chamber and the plastic broke, but that was cooled by liquid nitrogen and VERY cold. They have survived decades of lab use, being bumped over, up on the roof at -30C, and hot summer days.

My only complaint about twist locks is that if there is lots of frost on the legs, they get stuck, but they are easy to work with gloves on.

Flip locks are great, except when you have gloves on. Make sure that you have them adjusted right and they are solid.

The knob typelocks are somewhere in the middle as far as use with gloves goes, they work well, but you can loose the knob if you leave it loose when you pack it up.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I have had both, and occasionally had the flip locks loosen with use. This can cause a leg to slip unexpectedly. The twist locks have never slipped or jammed. Probably depends on specific brand.
There is usually a nut on the back of the flip locks that you can adjust. Manfroto gives you a little plastic wrench that clips onto the tripod leg so you can adjust it.

Attachments

• 974D2ACE-1002-4ED9-9790-3C636B5C7D0D.jpeg
    974D2ACE-1002-4ED9-9790-3C636B5C7D0D.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 129
Upvote 0
There is usually a nut on the back of the flip locks that you can adjust. Manfroto gives you a little plastic wrench that clips onto the tripod leg so you can adjust it.
Yes, but this time it loosened while I was traveling without a wrench. A camera and lens bit the dirt before I knew it was loose. That event caused me to get the twist lock for future trips.

Upvote 0

beforeEos Camaras

love to take photos.
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2014
I have both but like flip locks. the twist locks is on my travel benro legs. and the flips are on my studio manfroto
055b pro legs and the 682b monopod. but I do find both work just as well as the outer. also before I take my heavy legs out I check the locks for loosening and adjust them before I set up at the shoot.

Upvote 0
One of my tripods is an old Gitzo G2220 with twist locks. It has always been unreliable and I had to replace various internal shims etc otherwise the legs simply would not lock. I used to keep a length of gaffer tape around one leg just in case I had to improvise in an emergency. But I kept it because at the time the design of the centre column was unusual and very useful in some unconventional scenarios such as very low and on uneven ground. I still use it but now I've put hose clamps with wing nuts on each leg to stop the sections sliding in and out if the shims fail again - they are no longer obtainable.

The hose clamps:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AF0KP46/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have two Manfrotto 055's one metal and one carbon both with flip locks. They are fine except not so good in "unconventional" scenarios. I like the light weight of the carbon one but I choose the metal one if I need to attach a superclamp to a leg as the carbon ones don't feel strong enough to handle a tightened up clamp.

Pete

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Of course twists! They’re not only faster, but much more control.

Grab the leg, twist quarter turn and back, done.

I’ve had flip locks that when used with heavy load they tend to just ooze down every so slowly, with twists I can secure than how hard I like. Nothing to break off, less hassle on the hands and loosen/tighten from any position.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I bought a tripod at K-Mart 50+ years ago. It had twisting leg locks. A year or so ago on a visit to Best Buy, I spent $27 on a new tripod, and gave to old tripod to a friend. The new one has flip locks, and I find them handier. It may not be good for 50 years, though. If I'm still taking pictures in my 90s, maybe I can afford a new tripod, especially if I get a t-s lens by then.
Steve, how could you get rid of a family member like that? ;)

Upvote 0