One last round of EOS body upgrades left?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
And yet...over 2018 full year and even December alone, DSLRs outsold MILCs worldwide.

And yet...Canon sold more FF cameras domestically in 2018 than anyone else, in spite of only having a FF MILC model for the last quarter of the year.

And yet, a couple of weeks ago in Japan, 4 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 ILCs sold were DSLRs, and the fact that all of the top 10 are kitted with 1-2 lenses suggests these are mostly new buyers choosing DSLRs (and there are DSLRs higher on the list than cheaper MILCs, so it’s not solely budget driven).

So, the facts show your statement above to be wrong. Plus, DSLRs are selling better than MILCs in Japan, which is the market where MILCs enjoy their highest popularity. So...even more wrong.
But are we approaching a discontinuity?

Canon is going great guns with DSLR sales, but they have just introduced the R, which despite the lack of native lenses (more on the way), is selling very well. Now they are going to introduce a budget FF model that does not cost much more than an 80D, and that has great potential to put a huge kink in high end crop sales. M sales continue to be good.

This points to a shift in Canon sales to mirrorless. How much, and which remains dominant, is up to debate, but change is happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And yet...over 2018 full year and even December alone, DSLRs outsold MILCs worldwide.

And yet...Canon sold more FF cameras domestically in 2018 than anyone else, in spite of only having a FF MILC model for the last quarter of the year.

And yet, a couple of weeks ago in Japan, 4 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 10 ILCs sold were DSLRs, and the fact that all of the top 10 are kitted with 1-2 lenses suggests these are mostly new buyers choosing DSLRs (and there are DSLRs higher on the list than cheaper MILCs, so it’s not solely budget driven).

So, the facts show your statement above to be wrong. Plus, DSLRs are selling better than MILCs in Japan, which is the market where MILCs enjoy their highest popularity. So...even more wrong.

I'll let the Canon CEO run Canon. He probably knows best. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'll let the Canon CEO run Canon. He probably knows best. :)
Canon has publicly stated they will continue to develop DSLRs and EF lenses.

Of course, some on this forum seem to think that’s merely a lie to placate current DSLR owners. But then, some on this forum have real trouble understanding factual information.

Upvote 0
Canon has publicly stated they will continue to develop DSLRs and EF lenses.

Of course, some on this forum seem to think that’s merely a lie to placate current DSLR owners. But then, some on this forum have real trouble understanding factual information.
Link?

I'd sooner believe "continue to produce" than "continue to develop". A camera market dropping by 50% over 2 years to 5-6 million cameras a year tells me that they would put whatever dwindling resource into developing products that will actually sell than get cannibalized.

We only have to wait until July 2020 to see where Canon & the camera industry as a whole is headed towards.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Link?

I'd sooner believe "continue to produce" than "continue to develop". A camera market dropping by 50% over 2 years to 5-6 million cameras a year tells me that they would put whatever dwindling resource into developing products that will actually sell than get cannibalized.

We only have to wait until July 2020 to see where Canon & the camera industry as a whole is headed towards.

You can believe whatever you want. Heck, some people believe the earth is flat. Here’s what Canon stated:

Currently, we are simultaneously developing new products in the DSLR family, EOS R series and EOS M series. The most important thing for us is to carefully listen to what customers want and make decisions accordingly.

As the data I posted above show, customers continue to want DSLRs, and at this point more than MILCs.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
In 2019 digital Range Finders are only sold by Leica. Due to very small volume film cameras do not even merit a camera ship count by CIPA.

And did Canon ship SLR and Rangefinder systems are the same time for 50 years?

The 1 more generation of upgrade assumption of this thread only considered the 1D, 5D, 5Ds and 7D high-end DSLRs.

While writing this post I did further research on all the DSLRs Canon is currently selling, which includes consumer DSLRs, If Canon were to mirror their FD to EF transition exactly then they are doing so right now. The T60 FD camera that came out after the EF system debuted was a consumer SLR, Canon Rebel equivalent. Canon did not release any more high end FD cameras after the EF system was introduced.

The 1D, 5D, 5Ds or 7D have not received an upgrade in over 4 years while Canon Rebel cameras have received upgrades even after the RF system was released. So it is sadly possible that Canon has ceased R&D for any future high-end DSLR and shifted all their resource to the RF system.

If no more high-end DSLRs are released before July 2020 then do not expect them anymore. The system may have factory support until at most the year 2039.
My statement is for film cameras as a group. Not specific for Canon. In the 1930's Leica was making range finder camera while Exakta was making SLR. later LOTS of company started to make either RF or SLR. Canon was making both for along time. The last Leica film camera, M6 TTL was made until 2002 while SLR rules the market. So my "over 50 years" has already ruled out the infancy period and the 'slow diminish period'

Upvote 0