Optical Limits reviews the RF 24-105 f/4L IS

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Optical Limits is one of the most trustworthy and least biased and pushy of all the sites. I like the throwaway line at the end about the IS: Whether you can really achieve the claimed efficiency of 5 f-stops may depend on your personal saturation with coffee but we didn't reach that in real life. However, it's very good nonetheless.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Good review, as always. The CA's are clearly visible, that reminds me of my 85mm f/1.8, but its a low cost lens.

The center resolution is excellent at all focal lengths and apertures, I tend to crop my images in any event.

I've been planning to get this lens, I held off originally because I wanted to make sure that I would use my R, and I had lenses for it.

My SL2 is packed f0r mailing tomorrow to my grand daughter for Christmas. She is a pretty good photographer, one with a natural skill. I envy her photos taken with her phone and P&S.

I'll sell my last EF-s lens as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Interesting comments in the review about Canon not joining the trend in MILCs to introduce automatic image corrections in-camera. He seemed to prefer that, because it means he gets to test actual results from the lens rather than semi-corrected versions (which will always look better on the graphs). It looks like a very good lens, although I can't justify moving from my EF 24-70 f4 IS - at least partly because it is a decent macro lens as well.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Interesting that Optical Limits says the RF 24-105 is a step up from the EF version, but TDP rated it only about the same. From photos I’ve seen online I could believe it’s better than the EF versions, although Canon’s MTF charts suggest there really isn’t (shouldn’t be?) much difference.

Would be interesting to see a Lens Rental review of the RF version. Hopefully that will happen one of these days.

Last edited:
Upvote 0