Original 6D Video Focusing

Most of my research and initial videos point to manual focus on my 6DI when doing video. So far so good and the quality is exceptional.

Tried out a camera over the weekend with the modern focusing systems and it seems to have nailed it. I like my 6D, overall, a lot more so I'm sticking with that for now.

In going from really good auto-focus back to my 6D it seems like my 6D doesn't auto-focus at all with my 16-35 4.0 IS lens. Literally nothing happens. I'm able to nail it with manual focus and a reasonable aperture, but it's as if why even bother with any video auto-focusing modes on the 6D.

Just wanted to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my camera and that manual focus is the only way to do video with basic DSLR focus systems or am I doing something wrong?

All is well my photo auto-focus, though.

Thanks.

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Cory said:
Most of my research and initial videos point to manual focus on my 6DI when doing video. So far so good and the quality is exceptional.

Tried out a camera over the weekend with the modern focusing systems and it seems to have nailed it. I like my 6D, overall, a lot more so I'm sticking with that for now.

In going from really good auto-focus back to my 6D it seems like my 6D doesn't auto-focus at all with my 16-35 4.0 IS lens. Literally nothing happens. I'm able to nail it with manual focus and a reasonable aperture, but it's as if why even bother with any video auto-focusing modes on the 6D.

Just wanted to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my camera and that manual focus is the only way to do video with basic DSLR focus systems or am I doing something wrong?

All is well my photo auto-focus, though.

Thanks.

Hello there!

User manual, page 211:
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/8/0300009238/01/eos6d-im-en.pdf

"Notes on Movie Shooting
The camera cannot autofocus continuously like a camcorder.
Autofocusing during movie shooting is not recommended since it may momentarily throw the focus far off or change the exposure."
So...you're right...you can only use manual focus for movies...:-(

Nelu

Upvote 0