Our favourite hands-on preview of the Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Fro says that there is no face detect auto focus on the 90d when looking through the optical viewfinder.

He's wrong according to Rudi Winston and other reports.

I still prefer an ovf.
EVFs are so unpopular that Canon bowed to the majority and has the EVF as an optional extra for the M6 series...
Seriously, a lot depends on what you are shooting. If you are shooting nature and or want the immediacy of action and are staring through a viewfinder for long periods, you may well want an OVF. I find a detachable OVF a real pain - either you leave it on all the time or if you don’t it’s something more to lose and have to fiddle with to put it on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Lots of talk about Polin but no comments on the IQ of the sensor.
Anyone draw any vague conclusions?
People start to draw conclusions, but so far they aren't based on much that can support them. There's this gem in the comments to the video, for example.

I personally expect to see an upgrade in quality along with the apparent improvement in read out speed. They got super close to Sony with the 5D IV / 80D sensor generation. Would be a shame if they couldn't catch up with this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190830-075037.png
    Screenshot_20190830-075037.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
Upvote 0
I downloaded cr3 raw samples from dpreview. It's very hard to make any solid conclusions at this point as we need more scientific tests, but the quality looked ok, roughly at the 5DIV level, which is not that bad. The files were probably compressed as I could see some typical pattern in the shadows noise, I hope it is the result of compression, not the sensor itself.
At ISO 6400 and exposure set to +4 in Adobe camera Raw there was no banding at all which is very cool. In fact images at ISO 6400 looked pretty good.
At ISO 100 the dark shadows looked slightly noisier than 5DIV but that's my impression not based on proper comparison.

I'd be very interested to see proper dynamic range tests. If it's something we'll see in prospective high-res full frame R camera, it's not that bad but probably still lags behind Sony sensors. The question is, how far behind.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

I refer you to my rigorous scientific analysis.

More seriously, noise seems very uniform, pushed shadows look great, and with a proper lens there's a wonderful amount of detail (see eg. Polin's portrait shots). For some reason, the JPEGs in DPR's gallery are utter garbage; I'm not sure what's up with those besides the fact that they're taken with a soft kit lens. Their RAWs look okay, the lens is clearly the bottleneck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Here's a 1:1 crop of of one of Jared's portraits, slightly edited to taste. Downsized original and unprocessed crop also attached. I don't think anyone can reasonably expect a better IQ.
IMG_0228_crop.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0228_crop_neutral.jpg
    IMG_0228_crop_neutral.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
All I learned from this video was that mirorless cameras are perfect and no one could ever capture a good picture using a DSLR. Also apparently live view is useless but mirrorless are awesome!

Anyone have any reviews from someone who knows how to use a DSLR?
Wondering how different is M6 mark 2 without EVF compared 90D in live view? Aren't these 2 same in this case?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
when i see him holding the m6 with a bigger lens, i don't see why anyone that consistently uses EF glass would want to put themselves through that...it looks so awkward and terrible...and there aren't really enough M lenses to make it worth it...but yeah, just cause it's mirrorless makes it a better option for him...
People complain about Sony ergonomics with big lenses but the Ms are far worse. I like using my M5 with its neat little lenses but I can hardly use it arrached to a larger telephoto. There are enough native M lenses for most uses.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I forced myself to watch it. Whereas others love that style, I was in the jarred camp. For his type of shooting, the M6 II is more suitable; for most of mine, locating a bird or animal in its background, as well as observing it, the 90D with its spot AF and OVF is the far more suitable. Though, there are occasions when I would find full tracking useful for BIF etc. However, if the world continues to be fixated on cars burning up tyres, as in his video, then maybe the subjects I like will become too rare to photo anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0