Overstockdigital Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2011
Re: Overstockdigital

timothetoad said:
I've tried searching the forum and didn't find anything about this, but I was wondering if Overstockdigital.com was a legit site.

They have the 24-105mm lens for $809 brand new..seems too good to be true.

Any buyers from this website? :eek:
When you purchase a camera or lens made by Canon, your sales receipt from a Authorized Dealer will be required for a warranty. Otherwise, you may be totally out of luck. Warranties are void when bought from auction sites, liquidators, or other non authorized sellers.
www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Hell no! I spent 2 weeks looking at all these fake sites in New York. They have fake scammy reviews that are 5 stars then a few real 1 star reviews. They all do the same thing. Take your money, call you to try to up-sell you before they ship the item( if they even try to ship it). Then they usually give you a grey market, used, opened, or bootleg item.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Weeelll, 1455 Penn, suite 400 seems to be a "company company" as there are about a zillion law firms and NGOs registered to that office. Certainly no one is hocking camera bits over the net from there, it's waaay too prime real-estate for that (it's a block from the White House). If these Overstockdigital guys have registered there it's most likely because DC LLCs pay no corporate tax (like Delaware, etc). But "Overstockdigital" isn't necessarily the registered name of the company (it could easily just be their domain name), so I wouldn't write off their "official dealer" status so easily.

If I was still living around the corner from there I'd go check it out, but it probably wouldn't help much as their actual offices could be anywhere.

Probably a good thing to do is to check the official dealer list for Washington DC companies; there can't be more than a handful of them...

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Update: Run away! - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Notice that it's only on resellerratings.com that you see reviews. If you check all the users that have posted reviews there, they've all posted exactly one comment... for overstockdigital.com. The oldest one dates from the beginning of June, & they all look pretty much the same.

Here are some other reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/overstock-digital-washington
http://www.scamadviser.com/index.php?page=site-result.php&parameter=overstockdigital.com

scam
Scam
SCam
SCAm
SCAM

If you're broke & need gear, just keep an eye on Adorama & B&H used & refurb (or the Canon refurb site)...

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
RayValdez360 said:
Hell no! I spent 2 weeks looking at all these fake sites in New York. They have fake scammy reviews that are 5 stars then a few real 1 star reviews. They all do the same thing. Take your money, call you to try to up-sell you before they ship the item( if they even try to ship it). Then they usually give you a grey market, used, opened, or bootleg item.
Yes, I've noticed a lot of good reviews lately for known scammera. As long as they post from various IP addresses, they can beat the system. I have zero trust in Reseller Ratings, they just cannot prevent companies from scamming the system.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2012
they aren't legit. don't order from them.

you place an order, they call you to verify information prior to shipping. during the call they try to sell you all sorts of things you didn't order, bodies ("the lens you ordered only works with crop bodies"), additional lenses, memory card packages, bags, all sorts of things. it's bothersome. and also kind of hilarious.

but then, they ship nothing to you. weeks pass. you call them up, they come up with an excuse for why it hasn't shipped yet ("UPS dropped the box and every lens broke, we expect a new shipment in 2-3 weeks, in the meantime, why not consider this other lens, if you buy it today i can get you $150 off retail, and since you're buying a lens, why not get the body that goes with it...").

i'm sure eventually they'll ship you something, but it'll be grey market and not covered under warranty. if not worse.

the only thing they are good at is canceling an order. i'll give them that. they were really nice. so they aren't thieves or anything, your credit card info is safe if you've already given it to them, but the best you'll get from them, if you get anything at all, is grey market equipment that is unpackaged and not covered under warranty.

have to say though, before i cancelled an order i placed once, some of the phone calls were truly hilarious. "if you use that lens with that body, the menu will only appear in japanese, you don't want that do you?"

Upvote 0
1255 said:
they aren't legit. don't order from them.

you place an order, they call you to verify information prior to shipping. during the call they try to sell you all sorts of things you didn't order, bodies ("the lens you ordered only works with crop bodies"), additional lenses, memory card packages, bags, all sorts of things. it's bothersome. and also kind of hilarious.

but then, they ship nothing to you. weeks pass. you call them up, they come up with an excuse for why it hasn't shipped yet ("UPS dropped the box and every lens broke, we expect a new shipment in 2-3 weeks, in the meantime, why not consider this other lens, if you buy it today i can get you $150 off retail, and since you're buying a lens, why not get the body that goes with it...").

i'm sure eventually they'll ship you something, but it'll be grey market and not covered under warranty. if not worse.

the only thing they are good at is canceling an order. i'll give them that. they were really nice. so they aren't thieves or anything, your credit card info is safe if you've already given it to them, but the best you'll get from them, if you get anything at all, is grey market equipment that is unpackaged and not covered under warranty.

have to say though, before i cancelled an order i placed once, some of the phone calls were truly hilarious. "if you use that lens with that body, the menu will only appear in japanese, you don't want that do you?"

WOW. Now THAT is something...okay.

Thank you all for the responses. I honestly thought the resellerrating website was very suspicious..especially looking at the fact that most, if not all of those reviews are from the same dates, AND the fact that they are mostly 5 stars.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
supereasy said:
has anyone ordered a canon lens from them and not gotten what they ordered? i can't imagine they'd ship you out an aftermarket or refurb lens. that would be fraud.
If you don't buy the extras such as insurance, etc, they suddenly run out of stock.
Scammers thrive on people who want to believe and talk themselves into believing. Its all based on greed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.