Panasonic Launches New LUMIX S Series Full-frame Mirrorless Cameras LUMIX S1R and LUMIX S1

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
Anyone know why Leica L mount was chosen for the new system rather than M mount? I really don't know much at all about Leica gear, but I'm assuming L mount must be the one offering the best IQ? I ask because the L mount lenses seem to be big and heavy, but I understand the M mount lenses are relatively small and light but still have good IQ, so I'm wondering why they chose the mount which seems to be associated with bigger and heavier lenses.
Also, the idea was to have a common mount across several manufactures to increase lens commonality over a larger user base. Sigma is also on the L mount bandwagon. If you make a single lens that works across several brands then there are some cost savings that makes your equipment more appealing to buyers.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but the M mount is Canon's mount for their M series APS-C crop cameras, which has nothing to do with Panasonic and Leica cameras. Panasonic, which was until now making micro 4/3rds cameras, has created a partnership with Leica in making a FF camera, thus they are using the L- mount that Leica already has established for their FF cameras. Lenses for FF cameras are normally wider and heavier as they need to project a wider image circle and are faster (larger apertures) than lower level consumer lenses made for the crop sensor M system. The L mount has no advantage that I know of offer better IQ. In fact, it can be argued that Canon's and Nikon's (new mirrorless) mount, will have the advantage (albeit small) when it comes to designing lenses with high IQ at a reasonable price.
As Viggo has already said, I was talking about Leica's M mount, not Canon's EF-M mount. And I think Viggo has explained why the new Leica/Panasonic/Sigma system uses L mount rather than M mount.
As you say, it seems possible Canon's RF mount and Nikon's Z mount have an advantage over L mount in terms of allowing smaller and lighter lenses with great IQ. Which is really why I was wondering why the new system uses L mount. But I can see why they might have wanted to use an existing mount so there are lenses already available, and M mount doesn't have AF, so I guess that explains the choice of L mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Also, the idea was to have a common mount across several manufactures to increase lens commonality over a larger user base. Sigma is also on the L mount bandwagon. If you make a single lens that works across several brands then there are some cost savings that makes your equipment more appealing to buyers.
Also, note how well this worked with micro 4/3 lenses.

Upvote 0
Sep 22, 2016
If mirroless is the future of cameras, these Panasonics show the future of mirrorless. They may not be perfect yet, but with all the AI and ergonomics and hardware, they look like true "pro" mirrorless cameras. I know the contrast based AF has its limitations, but it seems software keeps improving it, and for single shot, it's the best.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but you misunderstood me: I meant the Leica lenses for the Leica SL (Summicron, Summilux etc...).
Misery seeking company: I too get only about 25% of CIPA shots with my Leica M 240.

How on earth are you shooting your m240? Have you installed the firmware? Mine literally acts like a film camera. I can leave it on all day, wake it up to shoot, and it goes back to sleep. I’m always surprised at how much battery power I have left. Last night I shot a fashion editorial with remote flash, about 1000 images, still at 80% battery. Something may be wrong with yours to be eating up so much battery power.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It's both interesting and encouraging that Panasonic has gone for a full DSLR-sized body. There are so many reports of the Sony bodies being uncomfortable after a few hours shooting with larger lenses and fingers being cramped. It's good to have another serious rival on the block to stir up progress.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
As Viggo has already said, I was talking about Leica's M mount, not Canon's EF-M mount. And I think Viggo has explained why the new Leica/Panasonic/Sigma system uses L mount rather than M mount.
As you say, it seems possible Canon's RF mount and Nikon's Z mount have an advantage over L mount in terms of allowing smaller and lighter lenses with great IQ. Which is really why I was wondering why the new system uses L mount. But I can see why they might have wanted to use an existing mount so there are lenses already available, and M mount doesn't have AF, so I guess that explains the choice of L mount.

There could be another reason why L mount was chosen: access to Leica lenses, and, for Leica and its SL, a wider choice of lenses (Panasonic, Sigma).
Cost for developing native Leica lenses for the SL must be horrendous, due to the SL's sales figures.
I could also imagine the next Leica SL being based on a Panasonic chassis, like, in the past, the Leicas R 3 -4-5-6-7 on a Minolta basis.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I know many folks don't like Tony Northrup, but you might want to take a look at his video, which goes over the myth versus reality of all those great advertised Panasonic specs. As is usually the case, the specs are not always what they claim to be.

Of course, not saying it's all true, and you might want to watch more reviews as they come in.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The situation with Panasonic and Full frame is that they felt forced to either come out with something, or be totally out of the market. A lot of people will believe the spec sheets without understanding exactly what the specs mean. They will probably be very happy with the cameras as well. I'd certainly wait to see multiple professional reviews of production cameras once some fast pro level lenses become available. Its tougher to autofocus fast lenses than slow lenses, so AF with a F4 lens does not guarantee accurate AF with a f/2.8.

Panasonic is known for video as is Sony, I hope buyers research the limitations of contrast detect for autofocusing during video, its not pretty.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Panasonic is known for video as is Sony, I hope buyers research the limitations of contrast detect for autofocusing during video, its not pretty.

Every single broadcast ENG camera from Panasonic or Sony that I was using in the 90's/2000's was fitted with either a Canon or Fuji/Fujinon lens. They were great at the recorder and sensor portion of the camera, but their lenses were lackluster (if even really available for purchase). There's still a lack of interoperability with 3rd party (non-native mount) lenses from both Sony and Panasonic to an extent. Lenses from a wide range of manufacturers will "work" but many of the selling features will not work appropriately when using with an adapter. It's better than it was, but it's still not quite right.

I love DPAF from Canon and if they continue to improve, combined with their color science they'll be headed in the right direction. Still unsure where this RF mount and R series mirrorless is really heading and at what prices with what features (or lack of features). Those that haven't jumped ship at least have a reason to stick around a little longer to see what's available.

Upvote 0