Panasonic S1/S1R Specs and Pricing

Panasonic Lumix S1
  • 24.2 MP full frame sensor
  • Maximum standard ISO 51,200
  • It can create 96 million pixels (12,000 x 8,000) images using high-resolution mode
  • Size: 148.9 x 110.0 x 96.7 mm
  • Weight: 899 g
  • Overseas price: body only is £1,999, lens kit is £2,999

Panasonic Lumix S1R
  • 47.3MP full frame sensor (no low pass filter)
  • 5-axis hand vibration reduction within the body with 5.5 stops
  • Dual IS 2 with 6 stops
  • 4K 60p / 50p video
  • Sequential shooting performance: 9 frames / second (AFS), 6 frames / second (AFC)
  • 6K photo at 30 frames per second and 4K photo mode at 60 frames / sec
  • 5.76 million dot EVF
  • The finder magnification can be adjusted from 0.78 times to 0.74 times or 0.7 times
  • Movable rear liquid crystal with 2.1 million dots
  • Dustproof · Drip-proof · Low temperature-10 °
  • Picture of 187 million pixels (16,736 x 11, 168) can be created using high resolution mode
  • Advanced Artificial Intelligence Technology Detecting Humans, Cats, Dogs and Birds
  • Size: 148.9 x 110.0 x 96.7 mm
  • Weight: 898 g
  • Overseas price: body only is £3, 399, lens kit is £4,199
UK has 20% VAT

Feb 26, 2012
AB
PhotoRumors posted a PDF with full specs which look plausible.

a few things I noted:
- a max flash sync shutter speed of 1/320s?..
- a large 3+ Ah battery but low expected shot count of ~360 unless using low power mode EVF mode to get over 1100
- 400k shutter life
- highly programmable function buttons
- 5.7M dot EVF
- video bit-rate may be a little lower than hoped?..
- 16736 x 11168 pixel hi-rez mode = 180+ MP to choke your post-processing flow! :)
- QXD + SD card slots
- 5 axis IBIS with 5.5 EV effectiveness + dual IS ability to 6 EV
- buffer depth may be a bit low at 40 raw, 35 if raw + jpg

plenty of other functions and features one would expect on a modern mid to high end camera body.

I'll have to wait to see how it feels in my hand... and how much it will unbalance my bank account in cdn$

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Not that forums are in any way reliable, but you might check out the Panasonic or earlier 4/3rds forums. My recollection is that the AF capability is the most complained about weakness of the Panasonic cameras. Again, only if you trust forum comments (and I wouldn't).

Certainly there must be some reliable photographers who have reviewed earlier Panasonics...maybe??

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I may be wrong, but I have a vague memory, because I don't care about video, that THE CAMERA STORE video reviews, back before the 2 guys moved to work for dpreview, may have put out a video review of a Pany product which may have included DofD feature evaluation.
I had a quick look but didn't find it. You'd have to check their old youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+camera+store+tv

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I asked the Panasonic folk about their Professional Services program with these coming out. Needless to say, their program is in its infancy, but I was not pleased/impressed with what they told me. Panasonic only has "Platinum" level right now - fine, that's what I've got with CPS. BUT, to qualify for Platinum, you MUST HAVE 2 pro-level bodies (m43 or FF), and at least 4 pro-level lenses. If you want to go FF only, there are only 3 lenses available from Panasonic! That means that you can't qualify for Professional Services from Panasonic until they release another lens...and that's an unknown!

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I asked the Panasonic folk about their Professional Services program with these coming out. Needless to say, their program is in its infancy, but I was not pleased/impressed with what they told me. Panasonic only has "Platinum" level right now - fine, that's what I've got with CPS. BUT, to qualify for Platinum, you MUST HAVE 2 pro-level bodies (m43 or FF), and at least 4 pro-level lenses. If you want to go FF only, there are only 3 lenses available from Panasonic! That means that you can't qualify for Professional Services from Panasonic until they release another lens...and that's an unknown!
You could get two copies of the same lens :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0