Panoramas or Stitching + Interior Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
AUGS said:
The only time this falls over is when you have moving elements in the image, such as seascapes which I also do quite a bit, where I wish I had a big mpix sensor for a one-shot and then cropped panoramic image. Then again, any softness in the corners/edges may change my mind.

After a few seascapes with moving waves spoiling the image where they lined up, I gave up and bought an ND400. But then I haven't been down to the beach lately to try it (seeing as I've moved house from 5km-from-the-beach to nowhere-near-the-beach).

Upvote 0
woollybear said:
Here is another picture. It was taken in Vermont. Handheld, no nodal point, no tripod. Its 8 photos stitched together 4 across the top and 4 across the bottom. I was maybe 100 feet away. I know I should have a wide angle lens, but I don't...yet. So the only way to fit all in was to take a flier on handheld.

For reference, the sunrise picture was taken with an accurate nodal point, tripod and ballhead leveled (I guess as close as I could, the horizon is hilly but it looks like it might go down and to the right).

Anyway, no processing done on the first one, but I did on this one. You think it is sharpened a little too much?

It is a nice picture. My monitor is not calibrated, but it does look "artificial", for lack of a better term. Maybe that is from the sharpening.

If I am far enough away, some of my panoramic stitching comes out OK.

My HTC Amaze phone has a pretty cool panoramic mode. No stitching, per se. Just aim and pan slowly.

Upvote 0

1DSLR

Links on No Parallax Points etc. (Re: Panoramas or Stitching + Interior Shots)

Agree on manual exposure so all images are same and locating at the nodal point (also apparently more properly termed the no parallax point or entrance pupil).

Here is a wiki of No Parallax Points for a number of lens and camera combinations.:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

You can also make your own bracket for single row or even multirow panoramas. Single row is fairly easy with some items from your local hardware store and a low-cost focusing rail from Ebay. Scroll down this page to the self-made heads and follow the links:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Heads
If interested, I'll post photos of my single row bracket.

Upvote 0

dr croubie

Too many photos, too little time.
Jun 1, 2011
Re: Links on No Parallax Points etc. (Re: Panoramas or Stitching + Interior Shots)

1DSLR said:
Here is a wiki of No Parallax Points for a number of lens and camera combinations.:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Entrance_Pupil_Database

Looks like a good list, I'll have to add in my EFs 15-85 and Samyang 35 when I get a chance.

Meanwhile, here's pics of my kit:
Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT (or any good tripod)

Arca-Swiss Monoball P0
(the version without the clamp, the one that comes with a clamp is not 'arca-swiss compatible' as you know it), with 3" Kirk clamp instead. It's specifically upside-down, so your panoramae are always perfectly in line (they don't have to be level if you don't want), solid as a rock, works like a dream, and worth every one of the $230 I paid.

First shot has my EF-s 15-85 on 7D, Kirk L-bracket to a Sunwayfoto DMP200L slider.
Second shot has my Samyang 35/1.4 on a cheap chinese ebay tripod ring for the 100L macro (fits perfectly), on a Wimberly P10 plate.

Attachments

• P3012353Rs.JPG
    P3012353Rs.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,599
  • P3012354Rs.JPG
    P3012354Rs.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,579
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.