Paris

Jan 1, 2014
Djaaf said:
Maybe a bit late for the O.P., but here are a few things to know concerning security in Paris and places to see before heading off.

First off, do not buy metro, RER or Paris Visite tickets from anyone not in RATP booth.
Only the RAPT agents and the machines in the stations are safe. You will get offers from random peoples during your stay. Do not accept. I've had to explain to tourists that they got conned too many times already.
Risk is higher on station connecting the airports. Do not trust anyone not in an uniform and behind a desk. :)

Les Halles late at night, Barbès and most of the 18th and 19th quarters are to be avoided. Risk is not that high, but it can make you feel unsafe quite frequently. Same thing goes for Gare du Nord.
The center is quite safe though. 1st to 10th quarter are generally very safe (except for pickpockets, but that's a plague pretty much anywhere there's a crowd).

To answer to the guy saying that the police is not efficient in arresting the pickpockets... well, you're half right. They do arrest quite a lot of them. But most are under 18, childs in regard to the french law, so they can't do much except keep them off the streets for a few hours.
Be extra careful in the metro and any queues you are in. Everywhere else is pretty much pickpocket free. :)
(And it's not a complete jungle either, in 34 years in Paris I've never been mugged, robbed or shot. :))

And last thing to be careful of : If you happen to come in a period when there's some kind of all-night animation in the streets (Nuit Blanche, Fête de la Musique, Nuit des Musées, etc..) you should go. But stay off the streets after 1.00 AM, there will probably be quite a few cops and drunks playing cats and mice. It can get unpleasant (not really unsafe, but dealing with drunk people that do not speak english can be a pain for a tourist. :) )

As for nice location for photography, well... all the inner quarters really deserve to be walked street by street. :)
You'll also find nice views and old buildings all along the Seine. The outer quarters are much less interesting except for street photography (you can get some pretty weird photos in Barbes or Menilmontant :) But do not go there with too much money, too obvious gear and alone. )

If you got the time (and you should take it if you don't) take a train from Gare Montparnasse or Gare Saint-Lazare to Versailles. It's like a mini-Paris and the Chateau de Versailles and its gardens are just magnificent.
If you go there in the summer, you can get a ticket to the fireworks and illuminated fountains in the gardens at night. That's a bit of magic right there (hey, I live there and I still go see that at least once every year. :) )

Enjoy ! :)

Djaaf.
Hi Djaaf,
Not late at all. Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I do have a half day planned to Versailles! I am very excited. Any advice for locations in Nice? Thanks
Ray

Upvote 0
ray5 said:
Hi Djaaf,
Not late at all. Thank you so much. This is very helpful. I do have a half day planned to Versailles! I am very excited. Any advice for locations in Nice? Thanks
Ray

Good, glad to be of help. :)

For Nice, well... My advice, if you can, is to grab a rental car and go the hell away. :)
The city itself is... bland at best. There's the English Promenade in front of the sea that's well... not completely a waste of time. After that... bleh..

But there's lots to see in the countryside, a few really charming little towns like Coaraze (27km north of Nice is nice, like a white village from spain, minus the white. :)) or Sainte-Agnès (the village is pretty, but you most importantly have a great view from there. It's 43Km east from Nice.).
You can also get a look at Menton, on the coast. Or just take the coastal road.
But don't waste time with Nice. :)

Have a nice trip !

Djaaf.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
The postings about pickpockets amuse me. I guess as someone who has lived in Europe (Oh, OK - the UK) for most of my 55 years (as of tomorrow...) I tend to think of most European cities as being safe so long as you are sensible. I recall in the late seventies when I was at university in London and the IRA still had a penchant for bombing the City, that Sylvester Stallone refused to come over because it was too dangerous...

My experience is that you are far more likely to be fleeced by those who are supposed to be serving you in the USA because the staff are so poorly paid that they pretty much have to beg to get tips. Hands are always out for money in the US, whereas it is a small minority of pickpockets, many of whom are instantly recognisable anyway, in Europe.

My advice: don't look too rich, don't talk too loud, don't throw money around like you are in the US, and you will be fine!

Enjoy Paris - a beautiful city!

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2014
rcarca said:
The postings about pickpockets amuse me. I guess as someone who has lived in Europe (Oh, OK - the UK) for most of my 55 years (as of tomorrow...) I tend to think of most European cities as being safe so long as you are sensible. I recall in the late seventies when I was at university in London and the IRA still had a penchant for bombing the City, that Sylvester Stallone refused to come over because it was too dangerous...

My experience is that you are far more likely to be fleeced by those who are supposed to be serving you in the USA because the staff are so poorly paid that they pretty much have to beg to get tips. Hands are always out for money in the US, whereas it is a small minority of pickpockets, many of whom are instantly recognisable anyway, in Europe.

My advice: don't look too rich, don't talk too loud, don't throw money around like you are in the US, and you will be fine!

Enjoy Paris - a beautiful city!
;)
I won't have trouble with the last part. Don't look rich, don't talk loud, don't throw money around(except camera stuff!). Only giveaway would be my gear....... Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hello Friends,
Just returned from an unforgettable trip. Amsterdam got a bit washed due to rain but I did not let that deter me in Paris. Late night trips to the Notre Dame, Eiffel and Alexander III bridge was very rewarding. My best shots were of the Eiffel and Notre Dame. I experimented with monochrome and was pleasantly surprised! Will post some images shortly. Thanks for all the help.

Upvote 0