Patent: 8-15mm fisheye zoom for mirrorless

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
An optical formula patent application for an 8-15mm fisheye zoom lens has appeared at the USPTO.
The patent covers both the APS-C (EF-M) and full-frame (RF) mirrorless mounts as the backfocus for each embodiment is well shorter than the EF’s 44mm.
APS-C embodiment:
Focal length: 5.30mm  – 9.51mm
F-number: 3.50   3.50
Angle of view: 181.00° 182.00°
Image height: 7.50mm  13.50mm
Total lens length: 77.28mm  – 69.52mm
BF: 11.09mm  16.77mm
Full-frame embodiment:
Focal length: 8.01mm  15.30mm
F-number: 3.78   4.60
Angle of view: 177.30° – 183.10°
Image height: 11.15mm  21.64mm
Total lens length: 105.23mm – 103.57mm
BF: 12.00mm  28.46mm

Continue reading...

EF 8-15mm 1:4L lenght: 83 mm
This means the RF lens would be about 2 cm shorter on EOS R bodies (103.57 mm -20 mm=83.57 mm, same length, but w/o 20 mm adapter).
Impressing.
The current ef 8-15L isn't exactly large, in fact it's a tiny lens, not that size would be a deciding factor in the purchase of this lens. The 2cm shorter length is really just the lack of the adapter....It's nice to have a native Rf version for sure but there's not a lot of benefit here.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The current ef 8-15L isn't exactly large, in fact it's a tiny lens, not that size would be a deciding factor in the purchase of this lens. The 2cm shorter length is really just the lack of the adapter....It's nice to have a native Rf version for sure but there's not a lot of benefit here.
It's not about the size, it's about being ready for even higher resolution, more megapixels = more CA and bigger difference between central area and the edges. But of course the EF 8-15L is not bad by any means.

Upvote 0
It's not about the size, it's about being ready for even higher resolution, more megapixels = more CA and bigger difference between central area and the edges. But of course the EF 8-15L is not bad by any means.
Yes I hear you and I'm aware of the lens design brief that Canon have announced for the Rf mount. Ironically, fisheye lenses suffer the least from retro focus design complications than any other type of wide lens. I'm surprised that Canon haven't announced a range of pancake primes for Rf mount yet...those would be a sweet addition to the Rf mount. It's a lens design very much suited to the benefits of the Mirror-less mount...more so than a fisheye zoom.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Yes I hear you and I'm aware of the lens design brief that Canon have announced for the Rf mount. Ironically, fisheye lenses suffer the least from retro focus design complications than any other type of wide lens. I'm surprised that Canon haven't announced a range of pancake primes for Rf mount yet...those would be a sweet addition to the Rf mount. It's a lens design very much suited to the benefits of the Mirror-less mount...more so than a fisheye zoom.
Looking at Fuji's recent 16mm f2.8 release (which is ~ a 24mm f4 equivalent) for 500$ it is clear that these smaller lenses wouldn't necessarily be very cheap or fast, so they might not be able sell a lot of them. Of course there is a handful of people wanting that for their RP, just not sure if they would be willing to pay the price for them. So maybe it is up to 3rd party manufacturers to crack the RF code, Samyang has a 24/2.8 and a 35/2.8 FE maybe those could be converted and produced for cheap.
For now, releasing those zooms and two versions of the 85/1.2 should keep them busy for now, and I think a pricey but sharp RF 100-400/3.5-5.6L IS zoom would sell well and make some profit for them as well.

Upvote 0
Canon scheduled pankake lenses it’s just that they plan to release a R pro-body first. So it’ll be ready, you just have to wait 8 to 11 years.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The current ef 8-15L isn't exactly large, in fact it's a tiny lens, not that size would be a deciding factor ...
And Canon managed to make it's optical formula even smaller! That's what I find impressing.

...It's nice to have a native Rf version for sure but there's not a lot of benefit here.
It is not only nice to have a native RF lens it will be also interesting, what the different optical formula (still 2 cm shorter) will deliver.

Interesting times.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0