Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'd happily take a 'pro' camera with one slot, I paid $1,000's for the early 1 series that all had one card slot, you can pay $10,000's for current medium format digital cameras with one card slot.

I had way more issues back in the days of film with lost and damaged rolls than I have ever had with digital files.

(Full disclosure--everything I own has one slot) I suspect if my living depended on it, and I *ever* had a card go toes-up, or ever saw someone else go through it--I'd want that second slot.

But I think I'd want them to both be the same card type, to keep life simple. I'd hate to have to start buying Compact Flash (seriously? Bulky, with pins that bend if you look at them crosseyed?) just to use the feature.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But I think I'd want them to both be the same card type, to keep life simple. I'd hate to have to start buying Compact Flash (seriously? Bulky, with pins that bend if you look at them crosseyed?) just to use the feature.
In Canon-land, that’s only the 1D X (not prior 1-series nor the 1D X II).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In Canon-land, that’s only the 1D X (not prior 1-series nor the 1D X II).

I'm glad to hear it. (My experience with anything greater than entry level is basically getting an hour with an R (presumably without the firmware update) Sunday, so I only have general impressions what the one-digit cameras are like/for.)

I was thinking of a comment I read today from someone who actually seemed to like two different card types.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I use the rf 24-105 and the rf 85mm. I cannot really compare the 85mm to the ef equivalent because there is no equivalent. The rf 24-105 it is just a little ietsiepietsy better then the newest ef equivalent. Not visible. Then there is the rf 24-70 and the rf 15-35. They both have is and might be better when you need that because you are shaky. Optically these lenses will not be much better then their ef counterparts. That is just common sense because they are already so good. Then there is the rf 70-200 which will also be great just like the ef 70-200 III. You are not going to tell me that the new rf lens will be much better. I will buy that one because it is compact and fits better in my traveling bag. What I personally like about the 'r' is the drop in adapter. It will make the use of nd filters much easier allowing me to be more creative. So I will keep these great ef lenses for the next 8 years or so :) i like the r and i like the adapter. The lenses are awesome but so are the latest ef lenses. Cheers !
I had: EF 35mm f/1.4L II, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, and EF 400mm f/5.6L. All were great lenses. Every single one. I ran them on a 5D Mark III. I ordered the R and it came with the RF 24-105mm f/4L as the kit lens. I used my EF glass and the RF kit lens for about a week. No problems. But I rented the RF 28-70mm f/2L and was hooked. Then I sold my Mark III and all my EF glass, bought the RF 28-70 and the RF 85mm f/1.2. But yes, I will tell you the RF 28-70mm f/2 is better than my 24-70 was. I don't know about the RF 24-70 f/2.8L. I never had the old EF 85mm because people said it was slow to focus and the hit rate was poor. The RF 85mm f/1.2L? Wow! I'm hoping for a fast 135mm or fast 70-135mm zoom. Either one of those two would make me a very happy camper. I don't need any long lenses past 135mm. I'll skip the 50mm thanks to the short zoom. So I ended up with enough after my sell off (Sold some rifles too.) to wait and see what comes out next. Exciting times! Almost forgot, I sold the 24-105 f/4L. I just didn't like it for portraits.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'd happily take a 'pro' camera with one slot, I paid $1,000's for the early 1 series that all had one card slot, you can pay $10,000's for current medium format digital cameras with one card slot.

I had way more issues back in the days of film with lost and damaged rolls than I have ever had with digital files.
I took your sage advice several months ago and got the Western Digital My Passport Pro. Then I got a dozen inexpensive SD cards and SD card labels. I write the models name on a fresh label. When done photographing her/him I just copy to that drive and shoot the next model. Works like a charm. So happy you told me about that. :) :) :) The battery lasts all day and then some.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
PBD, Sir, please read more and educate yourself. If you read the threads on the EOS R, you will understand that professional cameras require at least two card slots. Clearly, neither the early 1-series nor current MF cameras are intended for professional use. I mean, clearly.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
PBD, Sir, please read more and educate yourself. If you read the threads on the EOS R, you will understand that professional cameras require at least two card slots. Clearly, neither the early 1-series nor current MF cameras are intended for professional use. I mean, clearly.
Hey, that second slot is very useful for storing my spare SD card that I need for my point and shoots - I haven't lost a single one yet.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Hey, that second slot is very useful for storing my spare SD card that I need for my point and shoots - I haven't lost a single one yet.
Hey, me too! Even better, I’ve found that if I put three SD cards in the spare slot on my 1D X, they don’t rattle that much. I guess the 1D X is more professional that the 5DsR because it can store more extra SD cards.

• Haha
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
lol... to the same logic Canon EOS 1V was not a pro camera either. and it is a recent camera. right :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The ONLY fil
This is the only film camera I could ever use that gave me any feeling of being a professional. Why don't we have four card slot cameras now? What happens if my backed up backup is stolen? ;)
Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 11.13.17 AM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I feel so inadequate. Only one slot. Now I know how a guy with just one testicle must feel. I guess I'd feel better if I went out and got a 1 terabyte card. Bigger is better, after all. ;) Seriously though, I would prefer two cards, but we can't have everything.

• Haha
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I had a few SD cards go bad. I wouldnt trust my life on an flimsy SD card especially for a wedding, something that happens once ever and cant be redone and i am able to be sued if i dont provide that is promised. I do a back up my phone when i do events. its hard to do at a wedding because the large number of photos taken and battery levels needing to last 8+ hours on my phone and camera

Upvote 0
The costs of storage and memory continue to decrease at a significant rate. When you consider that ongoing trend, the actual costs of storage don't really increase at all. It likely still costs about the same to store an 80MP image file as it cost to store a 50MP image file several years back — perhaps even a bit less.

Money not saved is money lost.

And... for those who don't need or want higher resolution Canon continues to provide lower MP alternatives that are quite fine cameras, too.

DxO PhotoLab doesn't process mRaw / sRaw, and they have no plans to support those.

Choice is good. Having to buy larger disks and/or being forced to switch image processing software isn't.

Upvote 0