Patent: 83mp full-frame image sensor from Canon

Well, I'm glad to see this kind of technology, but I don't need to make wall-sized enlargements, nor see the bacteria in the pores of my subject, nor do I want to haul around a 300 pound tripod to keep cameral shake so small that even 83 mp is sharp (unless Canon comes out with the IBIS to be able to use this sort of hi-res sensor). I'm an outdoor photographer and shoot mostly hand-held. I get more excited by HDR than by hi-res. Still .... I'm a sucker for new tech, and I feel that old "I want the latest" urge.
But it's not just for huge prints, and it doesn't need a giant tripod...

I happily shoot hand held with the 5Ds and for studio use (product work) could sometimes do with the extra resolution.

Thing is that 50->83 isn't that big a jump. I went from 1Ds->1Ds3->5Ds going 11MP to 21MP to 50MP, all much bigger jumps. Going from 50->83 is similar to the 1Ds to 1Ds2 jump, which is why I waited for the 1Ds3...

After trying the S1R multishot mode (~187MP), and recently the H6D-50 I realised that I'd sometimes like 100MP (especially if IBIS Multishot gave 400MP) and other times 'just' 50MP with a lot better DR would help

A 80MP mirrorless is of itself not enough to make me ditch the 5Ds, it's what it comes with (IBIS, Multishot DR) that will nudge me - that and a range of new RF T/S lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I can't wait for the announcement because all the time people were crying "oh nooo, Canon has no professional R camera!" but with the 83mp R camera people will be crying " oh nooo, Canon has no professional R camera and the existing one is way too expensive!".

(My guess is that this 83mp R camera will be even more expensive than the 5D IV back in 2016.)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If this is true, as long as it has good weather sealing, dual cards, and similar DR to the 5D4 I'll buy it. I don't care if it has 4k or how many fps. For landscape this thing could be a dream.
Why would dual cards slots have any importance for a landscape shooter? This dual card slot meme is comical, it's like some kind of mass delusional hysteria foist upon us by marketing departments and 'influencers'.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Does IBIS really matter that much in an 80MP camera?

To get the most out of 80MP, tripod of flash are the best methods from my experience with medium format digital.
'Best' is a slippery term ;-)

Recent (architectural) experience hand held with a H6D-50 (and 1.5x T/S unit) definitely makes me question this...

Yes, i did use a tripod, but I've a whole lot of hand held stuff too that is suitably sharp

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018

Recent (architectural) experience hand held with a H6D-50 (and 1.5x T/S unit) definitely makes me question this...

Yes, i did use a tripod, but I've a whole lot of hand held stuff too that is suitably sharp
Anything is possible but I’d still prefer a solid tripod if I was after the best that 80MP could deliver along with the reassurance I’d have no issues once I’d packed up and gone home.

Upvote 0

Agreed

When you consider the angular movement and the pixel size, handholding a full frame 83mp with the exact same lens, should be no different than handholding a 32.5MP APS-C 90D or M6 Mark II.

The vector movement that would show up as motion blur would be the same in both cases.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Why would dual cards slots have any importance for a landscape shooter? This dual card slot meme is comical, it's like some kind of mass delusional hysteria foist upon us by marketing departments and 'influencers'.

You wait for several weeks for a proper weather forecast, then you get up at 3 am and drive 2.5 hours at night to catch the light, spend 2 hours on location, and drive back satisfied and excited. Or you travel several hours on a plane to your dream destination and spend there several days. Anyway, you arrive back home and your only card fails to read on your PC.

To you it may sound comical and delusional, but once I had one of my cards failed in my dual card slot and I'm pretty happy I have it in my 5DIV. I understand if one's budged is limited, not everyone's able to get an expensive camera, but in no way it's delusional to want a dual card slot.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Why would it have to have IBIS?

My friend has IBIS on his A7R iii and he learned first day in the redwoods taking photos that IBIS was virtually useless compared to a tripod shot for print quality stuff.

Weddings or portraits is one story, but for landscape shooting, most photographers would shoot tripod and won't need IBIS or IS turned on in the lens.
Because some of us would use it for fashion and portraits. In that use case, IBIS would be a huge help as 99% of the time I never use a tripod.

Upvote 0
Anything is possible but I’d still prefer a solid tripod if I was after the best that 80MP could deliver along with the reassurance I’d have no issues once I’d packed up and gone home.

I suspect anything over 3x focal would be fine. unless you downed 5 espresso's and a few Jolt colas (if they even still exist anymore).

but some trial and error would be advisable to find out what your shutter speed needs to be would be an important first step.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Agreed

When you consider the angular movement and the pixel size, handholding a full frame 83mp with the exact same lens, should be no different than handholding a 32.5MP APS-C 90D or M6 Mark II.

The vector movement that would show up as motion blur would be the same in both cases.

It's all correct but only when the resulting image is viewed at 1:1. 83mp one will cope better as you'll be able to downsize it more thus reducing the visible blur more.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Because some of us would use it for fashion and portraits. In that use case, IBIS would be a huge help as 99% of the time I never use a tripod.

But when shooting fashion or portraits, in what kind of situations do you need shutter speeds much slower than, say, 1/200s and additionally don't have to worry about subject motion (which, of course, IBIS can do nothing about)? I guess if you shoot with unstabilized telephoto lenses, IBIS could come in handy.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Agreed

Then I'd use a tripod if I was shoting with an 90D or M6 MKII. ;)

I always follow the rule - If in doubt don't go with out (a tripod). Then no unwanted movement, Vector or espress jitters come into play.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Please enlighten...what are the downsides of more pixels?

More resources required to handle the pixels all along the processing chain, from saving to memory card (read: fps & price of card), time to transfer from memory card to disk, disk space, and memory & CPU time required to process the image.

One might claim all of those are cheap, but for people who have never printed larger than poster, e.g. me, cheap is still more than nothing.

Upvote 0
More resources required to handle the pixels all along the processing chain, from saving to memory card (read: fps & price of card), time to transfer from memory card to disk, disk space, and memory & CPU time required to process the image.

One might claim all of those are cheap, but for people who have never printed larger than poster, e.g. me, cheap is still more than nothing.

I spend around 6,000 every 3-4 years on laptops. then there's all the SSD upgrades..
when I stop and think about it, it's probably more than cameras lately :/

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But when shooting fashion or portraits, in what kind of situations do you need shutter speeds much slower than, say, 1/200s and additionally don't have to worry about subject motion (which, of course, IBIS can do nothing about)? I guess if you shoot with unstabilized telephoto lenses, IBIS could come in handy.
Runway and other low light situations. At 80mp holding the camera still or having some sort of stabilization is very important. None of my lenses are stabilized. Didn't you, yourself, say a tripod would be necessary for such a camera doing landscapes? I don't know what your use case is, but I know mine like the back of my hand. My work is all hand held and models are often moving, not static. Flash is not always an option.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Runway and other low light situations. At 80mp holding the camera still or having some sort of stabilization is very important. None of my lenses are stabilized. Didn't you, yourself, say a tripod would be necessary for such a camera? I don't know what your use case is, but I know mine like the back of my hand.
How do you hold your camera still now then in these situations?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
How do you hold your camera still now then in these situations?
Comparing a 30 megapixel camera to the possible 80 mega pixel camera and the associated inherent difficulties is silly. I seem to remember people complaining about how the 50 mega pixel 5DSr had to be held very still. How do I hold the 30 mp camera still? Technique. That does not mean IBIS would not be useful. Why do you buy IS lenses?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Comparing a 30 megapixel camera to the possible 80 mega pixel camera and the associated inherent difficulties is silly. I seem to remember people complaining about how the 50 mega pixel 5DSr had to be held very still. How do I hold the 30 mp camera still? Technique. That does not mean IBIS would not be useful. Why do you buy IS lenses?
So you hand hold at a higher ISO (and shutter speed) to avoid (your) motion blur and subject movement?

Upvote 0
Point taken but I usually travel to do landscapes and I wouldn't consider any single card slot camera acceptable for travel unless it can direct write to media through a port. Even if I'd never had a card failure, which I have, one copy of a file while traveling just doesn't work for me. Yes I could bring along a laptop or back-up gizmo but a second card slot takes up a lot less room in my bag and I can carry a copy of all my files in a card safe in my pocket. Less stress about what's going on back at the hotel with my gear which means I can relax and focus on tasks at hand.

Upvote 0