Patent: A New Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Optical Formula Referenced

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<a href="http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/canon-ef-lenses-rumours-and-news/">Northlight</a> has uncovered a lot of <a href="http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20180095242">new lens patents from the USPTO</a>, some of the more interesting ones include new glass types for various long lenses, including an example for a new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. A lens <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/a-new-ef-70-200mm-f-2-8l-is-iii-still-a-possibility-in-2018-cr1/">we think still has a chance at coming later this year</a>.</p>
<p>This patent centers around the use of glass with high dispersion and negative anomalous dispersion.</p>
<p>Just a reminder, expect to see the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-ef-70-200mm-f-4l-is-ii-is-coming-in-april-cr3/">EF 70-200mm f/4L IS II to be announced this month</a>.</p>
<p>A bunch of other optical formulas for long lenses, including an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS are <a href="http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20180095242">included in this patent application</a>.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Cochese said:
keithcooper said:
Cochese said:
Awww man, and I just purchased the 70-200 2.8 II. Guess I'll just throw this in the trash now since it's no longer good.
You're safe for a while - they are only patent applications ;-)

Oh phew, good. For a minute there, I thought my lens was going to become obsolete.

;) ;D

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
Lucidmike78 said:
Cochese said:
Awww man, and I just purchased the 70-200 2.8 II. Guess I'll just throw this in the trash now since it's no longer good.

LOL. Just got mine less than 48 hours ago after wanting it for 2 years. And this is the first thing I see.

Yeah, seriously. I was waiting a couple of years, mostly because lack of funds. A recent major raise and credit limit shot up nearly $10k on my main card, so I figured, why not!? I rent it a lot, anyway. I found a mint copy, used for $1500. Perfect condition, not a mark on it. :D

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Cochese said:
Lucidmike78 said:
Cochese said:

LOL. Just got mine less than 48 hours ago after wanting it for 2 years. And this is the first thing I see.

Yeah, seriously. I was waiting a couple of years, mostly because lack of funds. A recent major raise and credit limit shot up nearly $10k on my main card, so I figured, why not!? I rent it a lot, anyway. I found a mint copy, used for $1500. Perfect condition, not a mark on it. :D

I better start savings - this new beauty looks to top $3000 :eek:

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Cochese said:
Lucidmike78 said:
Cochese said:

How is this optical formula different than the current 70-200 f2.8 IS?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
AuroraChaserDoug said:
RGF said:
Cochese said:
Lucidmike78 said:
Cochese said:

Apparently, from the “article”, newer glass, which then required a new design to accommodate it. I imagine that they’re also looking at the latest Nikon glass, and want to surpass it, as that lens is noticably better than the previous one.

As far as how much it will cost, you can’t tell from looking at the pictures of the design of the elements. It might cost a bit more, and it may not. But I can’t see them raising the price by another 25%.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
melgross said:
AuroraChaserDoug said:
RGF said:
Cochese said:
Lucidmike78 said:
Cochese said:

Apparently, from the “article”, newer glass, which then required a new design to accommodate it. I imagine that they’re also looking at the latest Nikon glass, and want to surpass it, as that lens is noticably better than the previous one.

As far as how much it will cost, you can’t tell from looking at the pictures of the design of the elements. It might cost a bit more, and it may not. But I can’t see them raising the price by another 25%.

This is, the previous Nikon 70-200 had a lot of issues to be improved upon. Aside from not being quite as sharp as the Canon equivalent, it had a significant focus breathing problem.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I purchased the EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM lens last year and we have several rental copies. The lens is great for portraits but its not perfect. Close focus at 70mm it can exhibit chromatic abberations that are noticeable particularly on dark material edges. I see this particularly when using it in combination with the 5DS so I'm not surprised they want to improve it.

Upvote 0