Patent: Canon 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1

May 4, 2011
The only way this makes sense, IMO, is as an M lens. It would be nice, actually, to have the option of a native EF-M lens with more than 200mm of reach, even if that means f7.1 at the long end to keep it compact. Whatever.

Personally I think I’d rather hold out for a 600mm FF lens, though. Shots taken back in the day with my 7D left me wanting in terms of detail, etc...

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
oh woah could be amazin birdler lense for M cameras . Sharpest supertele ever made if made well?
Thank you canon confusing me even more about what to do next :p
So M5ii must be coming , and M barrel diameter isnt unbreakable law.
There isnt IS so M5ii got ibis?
Guys i would love to see your face if next M camera would be M1 :p would make some :O
It even makes sense ,camera for professional bird shooters
Given the layout, I think this will fit into the standard 61mm M series barrel diameter. If not, it will come very close. Take this, the 18-150, and the 11-22 and you have 17.6-576mm equivalent in a very small package with good to excellent IQ. I think M is here to stay for quite a while.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Why are lenses for the EOS M restricted to 61mm diameter? As long as the rear diameter of the lens elements fits the bayonett, can't the front diameter be whatever it takes?

We can only guess to why, but Canon seems to really stick to that self-imposed restriction.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ugh. So Canon lets it's engineers off the chain for camera bodies and the cripple hammer attack the lenses instead.

No sorry but 7.1 is just one big fat noooooooooooooooooooooooope

They've developed the very fast (RF f/1.2) and very slow (RF f/7.1)... perhaps they have a happy middle in store for us next?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
yeah i think all phone cameras go 2 stop under DLA straight to verge of cliff
The DLA for a new iPhone is about f/2.4 and the various lenses vary from f/1.8 for the main to f/2.4 for the wide angle. The advantage of these very short focal lenses is that it is easy to get wide f-numbers to compensate for the small pixels of about 1.4 microns.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Ugh. So Canon lets it's engineers off the chain for camera bodies and the cripple hammer attack the lenses instead.

Your comment is hardly worth replying to, but most likely it’s the exact opposite to what you think: the disappearance of the f/5.6 limitation lets engineers explore more of the space of plausible lens designs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0