Patent: Canon camera with in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization working together.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of the worst-kept secrets (I guess it’s not a secret anymore) is that Canon will be bringing IBIS to the EOS R system, we’re not sure if we’ll ever see it in the EOS M or EOS lineup, but it’s definitely coming for the RF mount cameras in the future.
Canon News uncovered Japan Patent 2019-087937, which talks about how Canon is going to implement collaboration between IBIS and IS equipped lenses. If Canon didn’t figure out a way for both systems to work together, I think adding IBIS would simply be a half-baked feature addition.

Part of the patent talks about the moving sensor for stabilization:
The imaging element 101 is movable in a direction intersecting the optical axis of the imaging optical system 210 (indicated by a broken line in the drawing) by a shift mechanism...

Continue reading...

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Making these two systems work together likely isn’t an easy task, but once it does launch, I expect that it’ll be a great implementation of both technologies.
Same opinion here.
Will be interesting how well this will work compared to other companies solutions (e.g. Panasonic).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
It may only work with RF lenses as it needs the lens and the body to collaborate. I wonder if they will allow any IBIS at all if an EF lens is mounted.

I can't imagine them disabling IBIS for non-IS EF lenses. That would go against everything they've done so far to make the adapter fully functional for EF lenses. They also seem to be leaning heavily on EF for affordable lenses at the moment.

I do agree that the EF mount may not have enough throughput to coordinate OIS+IBIS, so there may be a limitation there with EF lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 31, 2016
When Canon does implement anything they do it right. I wonder when....
  • Touch bar for EOS R
  • EyeAF for EOS R before the FW update. Just S-AF
  • Video for FF DSLR/mirrorless - mostly cropped
  • Sensor.
  • EVF
Their sensor protection mechanism is very good but it didn't show up in EOS RP. I suspect IBIS may show up in top tier or only works with RF lenses just to force users to upgrade.

They do a good job but certainty not ALWAYS the best or the cheapest.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
It may only work with RF lenses as it needs the lens and the body to collaborate. I wonder if they will allow any IBIS at all if an EF lens is mounted.

I can't imagine them disabling IBIS for non-IS EF lenses. That would go against everything they've done so far to make the adapter fully functional for EF lenses. They also seem to be leaning heavily on EF for affordable lenses at the moment.

I do agree that the EF mount may not have enough throughput to coordinate OIS+IBIS, so there may be a limitation there with EF lenses.

Possibility: Dual IS is enabled with RF lenses, but EF lenses must use either OIS or IBIS (but not both)?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'd be happy if it becomes 75 percent as good as the Olympus or Panasonic M43 IBIS + OIS system. The A7 III and Nikon Z6 IBIS+OIS is alright, but they just don't compare to the competition.
How dare you insult Sony! Sacrilege!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Well, the other guys havE IBIS that will work with any lens, and one of the selling points for IBIS is that is a way of stabilizing lenses that don't have internal stabilization. Canon's implementation may work better with RF lenses, but my guess is that it will work with all lenses, like the other guys cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2019
Might as well get it out of the way.

“Canon is doomed”
“Canon’s IBIS working with IS technology is already 5 years behind”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”
“If 4K full frame, not even 8k”
“This camera isn’t also a car”

Am I missing any?
Nope, that just about covers it! ;)

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

“Canon is doomed”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”

Am I missing any?
Well, there are the random and incoherent rants about how how Canon rips off its customers

• Haha
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I would hope that with EF lenses that do not have IS that the IBIS works as well as other attachments. If they have IS I am fine if the IBIS does not come on as the EF lenses have less contacts for data transfer and this might limit what they can do. If Canon gets it for EF lenses though as well as the RF lenses that would to me be just a bonus as The IS is pretty incredible anyway.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

“Canon is doomed”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”

Am I missing any?

Yes, Canon do not even build large screen TVs, SONY do....

Upvote 0