Patent: Canon camera with in-body stabilization and in-lens stabilization working together.

Jan 21, 2015
Might as well get it out of the way.

“Canon is doomed”
“Canon’s IBIS working with IS technology is already 5 years behind”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”
“If 4K full frame, not even 8k”
“This camera isn’t also a car”

Am I missing any?
[/QUO

“Canon is doomed”
“Canon’s IBIS working with IS technology is already 5 years behind”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”

Am I missing any?
Maybe add something about Apple and/Samsung? I haven't seen too many doomers on here bringing up smartphones but you can be on the edge if you add something like that.

Upvote 0
would prefer Canon to continue improving Electronic IBIS technology. The Mechanical IBIS can fail since it's mechanically moving and in some cases create motion blur which it's supposed to reduce because it itself is moving. switching off M.IBIS doesn't mean the sensor is locked in place like a fix sensor. The Canon current implementation uses 5 Axis movement measurement and the processor does the correction. The only issue is it uses some part of the sensor for it, so the image is cropped. Maybe Canon develop a slightly larger sensor, use the extra area for E.IBIS and the actual image size still meets the target FF format size.They don't need to invest on M.IBIS development where else the E.IBIS can be improved via readout and processing speed. The E.IBIS can be refined via FW upgrade.
Canon don't need to follow those Mechanical IBIS bandwagon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
would prefer Canon to continue improving Electronic IBIS technology. The Mechanical IBIS can fail since it's mechanically moving and in some cases create motion blur which it's supposed to reduce because it itself is moving. switching off M.IBIS doesn't mean the sensor is locked in place like a fix sensor. The Canon current implementation uses 5 Axis movement measurement and the processor does the correction. The only issue is it uses some part of the sensor for it, so the image is cropped. Maybe Canon develop a slightly larger sensor, use the extra area for E.IBIS and the actual image size still meets the target FF format size.They don't need to invest on M.IBIS development where else the E.IBIS can be improved via readout and processing speed. The E.IBIS can be refined via FW upgrade.
I think electronic IBIS only works for video because it matches up frames. It doesn't have any effect on single shot photographs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Correct, digital IBIS is like warp stabilizer in After Effects and YouTube's auto stabilizer. It also crops the image.
FCP X has the same kind of software stabilization. I've used the hybrid video stabilization in my 6D2, and it seems to work well. If the lens has IS, the software stabilization is turned off if you turn off the lens IS switch. I guess that's a feature. Maybe they assume that you wouldn't turn it off unless the camera is on a tripod. My guess is that the stabilization in the G7X II is just in software. I've used it in video, but am not sure if anything kicks in for stills.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
For your enjoyment....
Aussies call Ibis = bin chickens or tip turkeys or sandwich snatchers or picnic pirates or many others :) but it is a serious offence to harm them as they are protected under legislation.

Also, I really hope that Canon doesn't release a EOS Rs as that is the common venacular for rat sh1t. We actually say "RS" instead during polite conversation. Synonyms = very poor quality, shoddy, unacceptable, disappointing, dumm, lame, sad, stupid etc

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

“Canon is doomed”
“Canon’s IBIS technology is already 5 years behind”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”

Am I missing any?

It's only a patent until it's materialize =)

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
For your enjoyment....
Aussies call Ibis = bin chickens or tip turkeys or sandwich snatchers or picnic pirates or many others :) but it is a serious offence to harm them as they are protected under legislation.

Also, I really hope that Canon doesn't release a EOS Rs as that is the common venacular for rat sh1t. We actually say "RS" instead during polite conversation. Synonyms = very poor quality, shoddy, unacceptable, disappointing, dumm, lame, sad, stupid etc
To be clear, not all of us do!;)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany

“Canon is doomed”
“Canon’s IBIS technology is already 5 years behind”
“I’m switching to Sony”
“Too expensive”
“No 4K full frame”

Am I missing any?
You forgot the most important:

"Old Sensor tech. Not enough base ISO DR!" ;)

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be easier to test trail Ibis on an apsc m body, smaller sensor, like that rumored M5ii. Then trickle up the tech to the R?

Contra:
If an APS-C-model for (prosumer) masses fails it will produce a lot of bad press and loss of sales

Pro:
If a full frame pro model fails it will produce a devastating press and moderate loss of sales for this model but a lot of losses for Canon.
The dimensions / mass of the movable sensor unit can be ~3 x smaller which leads to "weaker" actors to get the appropriate acceleration making things much easier: less power consumption, less waste heat, less cost.

Finally I think the EOS M5 ii will have an IBIS system on board. Maybe with a reduced set of features but working very well, hopefully with all lenses including FD lenses.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
How dare you insult Sony! Sacrilege!
Crazyrunner
I'd be happy if it becomes 75 percent as good as the Olympus or Panasonic M43 IBIS + OIS system. The A7 III and Nikon Z6 IBIS+OIS is alright, but they just don't compare to the competition.
To put things straight: Sony's IBIS and everything Sonyish are absolutely perfect!
Whoever pretends the opposite should be banned for life from this forum for proferring perverted subversive insanities.:devilish:
Shame on you!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

EIS doesn't work that well in low light. You commonly get the dreaded "spaghetti lights" phenomenon. GoPro's hypersmooth which exclusively uses EIS falls down entirely in low light. GoPro tried to mitigate this with a later firmware by bumping the ISO to keep the shutter speed up which obviously is a different type of compromise. The Insta360 X which had a full 360 spherical image for EIS also had the same problem before they also released a firmware fix to bump the ISO. Yes, mechanical IBIS can also fail to an extent, but it is way more tolerant to high frequency vibrations and is more pleasing than the unnatural spaghetti light phenomenon with EIS in the same conditions.

Upvote 0