Patent: Canon EF 135 f/2L w/Apodization Filters

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Canon has filed a patent for an EF 135mm f/2L optical formula with apodization filters.</p>
<p>From <a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apodization" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Wikipedia</a> (Via <a href="http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=19701">TDP</a>):</p>
<blockquote><p><b>Apodization</b> is an optical filtering technique, and its literal translation is “removing the foot”. It is the technical term for changing the shape of a mathematical function, an electrical signal, an optical transmission or a mechanical structure. In optics, it is primarily used to remove Airy disks caused by diffraction around an intensity peak, improving the focus.</p></blockquote>
<p>Patent publication number 2016-218444 (Google Translate)</p>
<ul>
<li>Release date 2016.12.22</li>
<li>Application date 2015.5.20</li>
<li>Focal length 130.98</li>
<li>F number 2.06</li>
<li>Field of View 9.38</li>
<li>Image height 21.64</li>
<li>Lens total length 159.05</li>
<li>BF 53.99</li>
<li>Even when there is vignetting, a good blurred image at all angle of view</li>
</ul>
<p>We have not heard anything regarding a new EF 135mm f/2L lens coming in 2017, but we’ll obviously let you know if we do.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Apodization alters the distribution of energy to put light that would fall far away from the central peak back into the central peak - at the expense of a slight increase in the width of the central peak. This does more for contrast than anything else, but it also slightly reduces the resolution. Now for an f/2 lens the spot size is very small and the loss in resolution will likely go unnoticed. It should have visible impact at smaller apertures. I also think this may be directed at producing improvements to the bokeh. I'll be very interested in this lens if it ever comes to market.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Jopa said:
Most likely it will be similar to the Zeiss 135 APO / Milvus 135, which is one of the best lenses ever made (IMHO :) ), but with AF of course. Exciting times lie ahead!

Just to clarify (and I'm not suggesting that you're saying this), the Zeiss APO designation indicates the lens is apochromatic (minimal chromatic aberration), not that it incorporates an apodization filter.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Jopa said:
Most likely it will be similar to the Zeiss 135 APO / Milvus 135, which is one of the best lenses ever made (IMHO :) ), but with AF of course. Exciting times lie ahead!

Just to clarify (and I'm not suggesting that you're saying this), the Zeiss APO designation indicates the lens is apochromatic (minimal chromatic aberration), not that it incorporates an apodization filter.

Oh, I just read what my brain wanted to read :) yes, I did confuse apodisation with apochromatic...

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Maiaibing said:
Yes! Yes! Yes! Will Canon give us the ultimate bokeh lens like the Minolta/SONY 135mm STF?!?! Only this time around as an AF lens? That would be sensational great news! Have not seen Apodization filters used anywhere else than in the STF lens.

Fuji call it an APD filter:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r_apd/

Upvote 0
rs said:
Maiaibing said:
Yes! Yes! Yes! Will Canon give us the ultimate bokeh lens like the Minolta/SONY 135mm STF?!?! Only this time around as an AF lens? That would be sensational great news! Have not seen Apodization filters used anywhere else than in the STF lens.

Fuji call it an APD filter:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf56mmf12_r_apd/
Thanks. New to me that Fuji also has this kind of lens - and its AF too! Have you used it yourself? I'd guess the effect is most noticible on a medium tele like the 134mm STF.

Later: Looked at the shots in the Flickr pool and bokeh is very nice indeed. Price is very reasonable too. Fuji shooters should flock to this lens.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what to make of patents and how long it takes to reach the market, but I really, really want this lens to have IS. I've missed a lot of shots that I think IS would compensate for. And if the 85 1.4 is getting IS, than I can't see why the 135mm shouldn't.

At any rate, even if it doesn't come with IS, the 85mm 1.4 IS should open up options. I've just always prefered 135mm over 85mm.

Upvote 0
slclick said:
bokehmon22 said:
I just got the 85 1.4 Art and love the shots coming from it. Looking forward to adding Tamron 115 1.4 or this 135 f2.
Tammy 115? Is that from a patent or do you have some actual release info?

http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-tamron-115mm-f1-4-vc/

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Couldn't help laughing at the patent description ;D

So this lens not only promisies to give us "vignetting" :( but also guarantees that we'll get a "good blurred image :-\ at all angle of view". Lovers of fuzzy pics and dark corners will snap up this lens instantly!

Seriously, I'm not quite sure what Canon are trying to say here - a realistic translation would appear to be "good bokeh despite heavy vignetting".

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
entoman said:

So this lens not only promisies to give us "vignetting" :( but also guarantees that we'll get a "good blurred image :-\ at all angle of view". Lovers of fuzzy pics and dark corners will snap up this lens instantly!

Seriously, I'm not quite sure what Canon are trying to say here - a realistic translation would appear to be "good bokeh despite heavy vignetting".

Canon is saying it in Japanese, where I'm sure it makes perfect sense. Perhaps instead of laughing, you might consider going to Google Translate (which was used to generate the English text above), and suggest a better translation for that phrase. Better yet, learn Japanese so you can properly translate all of Canon's patents better than Google. Laughing is probably easier, though.

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
entoman said:

Canon is saying it in Japanese, where I'm sure it makes perfect sense. Perhaps instead of laughing, you might consider going to Google Translate (which was used to generate the English text above), and suggest a better translation for that phrase. Better yet, learn Japanese so you can properly translate all of Canon's patents better than Google. Laughing is probably easier, though.

I think he was laughing at the translation, not at Canon.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Apodization
I really had to look this after. Never heard it before ???

Even when there is vignetting, a good blurred image at all angle of view</li>
Give me a few example pictures to have a better imagination of what this means to the IQ.
My imaginative power is not good enough for this ;)

Upvote 0
This is not the first time Canon are showing an interest in lenses with an apodisation element. There is a 2012 patent (2012-128151) illustrated by six examples, five of which are 135mm f/2.8 lenses and one a 180mm f/3.5.

The 2016-218444 patent is illustrated by six examples too: not only two 135mm f/2 but also a 24mm f/1.4, a 35mm f/1.4 and two 50mm f/2.

In the 2016 patent, there are two apodisation elements, one on each side of the aperture, instead of one in the existing lenses (Minolta / Sony 135mm f/2.8 STF, Fujinon 56mm f/1.2 APD and Venus Optics Laowa STF 105mm f/2) and in the examples in the 2012 patent.

A last consideration: phase-detection autofocus cannot be used in conjunction with an apodisation element (contrast-detection autofocus can).

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Maximilian said:
Apodization
I really had to look this after. Never heard it before ???

Even when there is vignetting, a good blurred image at all angle of view</li>
Give me a few example pictures to have a better imagination of what this means to the IQ.
My imaginative power is not good enough for this ;)

Some lenses produce almond shaped out of focus highlights towards the edges and corners of the frame. This should help keep those round.

Upvote 0