Patent: Canon EF-M 15-45mm f/1.8-3.5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A patent showing a faster version of the EF-M 15-45mm has appeared in the form of three separate optical formulas.</p>
<ul>
<li>EF-M 15-45mm f/1.8-3.5</li>
<li>EF-M 15-45mm f/2.0-4.0</li>
<li>EF-M 15-45mm f/2.8-5.0</li>
</ul>
<p><strong><a href="https://www.canonnews.com/some-fast-mirrorless-zoom-patents">Canon News</a> Summarizes:</strong></p>
<blockquote><p>It also looks like it may be the first canon lens patent application that I’ve seen that specifically mentions that distortion abberation control happens in camera versus being controlled by the lens.</p>

<p>This would tend to make more of a compact camera approach as the powershots do this already, however Canon M’s do not.</p>
<p>As with all patent applications that we show, this is a patent application.  This illustrates to us what Canon is looking at in their research labs.  It may or may not become a patent, and may or may not even after that be used in a camera system.</p></blockquote>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
</p>

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
rrcphoto said:
brad-man said:
I would like a constant aperture zoom, but this is a pleasant tease...

it is!

I am wondering if canon has set it's own design limits with EF-M lenses. it seems to me very interesting that every single lens, regardless of focal, etc is exactly 61mm in diameter within .1mm.

The 61mm "limit" probably has to do with manufacturing economics. Since all M lenses so far (other than the pancake) have been f/3.5 and slower, these new len(s) will break new ground (if they materialize). I doubt an f/1.8 zoom could exist in a 61mm housing. The nifty 50 is around 67mm wide and it don't zoom. But then again, it is full frame...

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
AvTvM said:
not interested in any of the those variable aperture versions. Would prefer a 15-45/2.8 CONSTANT aperture. or even a 15-45/3.5 constant aperture.

I do not get why constant aperture should be relevant. Sure having a fast lens is better than just having a constant aperture.

Will they provide software update for cameras to handle the correction? For which models?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
AvTvM said:
not interested in any of the those variable aperture versions. Would prefer a 15-45/2.8 CONSTANT aperture. or even a 15-45/3.5 constant aperture.

The aging EF-S 17-55 is an example of a constant F2.8 designed for crop coverage and it is not small light or low cost. If you are willing to use it with an adapter, you can put it on your M whenever you want.

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
EF-M 15-45mm f/1.8-3.5

If this means something like
  • 15mm, f/1.8
  • 22mm, f/2.0
  • 32mm, f/2.8
  • 45mm, f/3.5

then it's a lens I would pre-order instantly! It would replace two lens I currently use the most (EF-M 22mm 2.0, EF-S 35mm 2.8 ). Just please it's not soft like the current 15-45 and it does not have that stupid collapsible mechanism. :-\

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
privatebydesign said:
longtallkarl said:
Since I know that Canon is waiting for my input, let me just say, YES PLEASE!

It would definitely push me over the fence to get the M5, but I am less than a squeak, certainly not even a voice, in the thinking of Canon product development. Oh well...

In another thread about EF-M lenses, I defiantly stated that I would not purchase another M product until Canon started to release quicker primes and zooms for the system. Then the Halloween refurb special came and a $637 M5 pushed me over the fence like a Friday night drunk. So much for resolve...

Upvote 0