Patent: Canon RF 10-24mm f/4 and Canon RF 14-28 f/2.0

Jan 29, 2011
...I have yet to pull the trigger on the UWA such as the EF 11-24. I don't really need such a lens...but I want one. I was able to hold off, in part, because of the possibility of a UWA in the RF format...but also because of IS (lack of).

In part, that time has come (apparently).

There are several posts in this thread now...and not one mentions image stabilization. Am I the only one that likes acquiring museum/theme park/at home images of really really dark (static) scenes, at places were tripods etc just aren't practical? Image stabilization in these use cases is critical.

IBIS for the next R?

Or will the 10-24 itself have IS?

Finally, will the EF 11-24 now see downward pressure as far as price is concerned?
Even if I had an R, and I will get the high resolution model, I wouldn’t get the RF 10-24 I’d get the EF 11-24 and use it with adapters so I could filter it. Further, I see IBIS coming to the R so no need for IS. Not that I have ever hankered for IS in the 11-24 anyway. Bearing all this in mind I doubt if you will see any downward pressure on the EF 11-24, for sure I am keeping mine going forwards.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Nobody said you had no right.

The point is that carping Canon not having the body you wish Canon would make yet is rather silly. Canon, with a firm grasp on market share, knows much better than you or I what is needed and when. The professional market is very small compared to the rest of the market. Releasing a body you want when the lens line is not yet available for it would make far less sense.

Honestly, your claimed 30,000 pounds worth of Canon gear gives your opinion no more right or weight than somebody who owns an Elf point and shoot. You come across as an elitist, as though you are personally owed something because you've spent some money. To that I say, "Whoop de doo!" A pro camera is coming. Acting as though Sony, with it's terrible record, is somehow ahead of the game when Sony has been the only player in that game for a while is kinda, well... I won't say it.
Again, you seem to be reading between the lines here and coming up with your own conclusions about me. From Sony fanboy to an elitest in just a couple of posts is most welcoming.......

I’ve never disclosed being a pro or amateur photographer as I feel has no relavence on the matter.

Owning £30k of Canon gear was in response to you questioning my motives for posting here as a Sony fanboy and was never mentioned in my original post.

I just can’t believe anyone else doesn’t feel my frustration to all these amazing lenses we keep hearing about while norhing on the camera front.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Again, you seem to be reading between the lines here and coming up with your own conclusions about me. From Sony fanboy to an elitest in just a couple of posts is most welcoming.......

I’ve never disclosed being a pro or amateur photographer as I feel has no relavence on the matter.

Owning £30k of Canon gear was in response to you questioning my motives for posting here as a Sony fanboy and was never mentioned in my original post.

I just can’t believe anyone else doesn’t feel my frustration to all these amazing lenses we keep hearing about while norhing on the camera front.
Reading between the lines? I never once called you a Sony fanboy. Not once. However, you have mentioned, in previous posts, to owning a Sony... which doesn't matter and isn't the point.

The point, again, is that you seem to be ticked that the camera you want is not yet available from Canon... yet it is from Sony. You seem to think the body should have been here years ago. Again, the point is that what YOU personally want is not what drives Canon to do what Canon does no matter how much Canon gear you claim to own, or how much you might spend in the future.

The only person who has mentioned the term Sony Fanboy in relation to yourself is YOU. Freudian slip, maybe?

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Reading between the lines? I never once called you a Sony fanboy. Not once.

I get it. You signed up on a Canon forum just so you could tell us all how wonderful Sony is (The one you say you own in a previous post). Guess what? Sony is doomed.
Mmmmm

The point, again, is that you seem to be ticked that the camera you want is not yet available from Canon... yet it is from Sony. You seem to think the body should have been here years ago. Again, the point is that what YOU personally want is not what drives Canon to do what Canon does no matter how much Canon gear you claim to own, or how much you might spend in the future.

You live a very sheltered life if you think its only myself that wants a mirrorless high resolution profession spec camera.(?)

Have I entered a parallel universe in this discussion with you and have confused this forum in being an open place to discuss Canon gear with like minded people?

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You live a very sheltered life if you think its only myself that wants a mirrorless high resolution profession spec camera.(?)
Hmmmm.... nobody ever said that either. If you have read the forum at all, then you'd know a high mp model is on the way. Crying it isn't here precisely when you want it is childish. I'd like one also, but complaining while extolling the virtues of company X is just plain silly. Go buy what the other company makes. Oh yeah, forgot. You already own what company X has issued. o_O :poop:

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
You're a defensive bunch.... Is it normal forum etiquette to pick holes in every comment?
Obviously, that depends on the comments.

• I renew my cameras every 2-3 years
  • I want to buy into the RF system (Lenses)
  • Canon don't make an R camera (yet) that is up to the job (for me)
So, basically, you are complaining that Canon is a for-profit corporation and not your personal genie?

• Love
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2013
The Canon lens devision seems to be firing on all cylinders and producing some truly drool worthy lenses.

The frustration for me is I’m ready to jump full speed into the R system and buy a swath of new lenses however, there is just not a camera I’m remotely interested in buying.

The 1DXIII proves Canon has still got the magic touch (amazing camera if you need it) but wish they weren't so tragically slow with the Pro R camera.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That kinda dilutes the value of the term "rectilinear". One can correct barrel distortion of a fisheye in post, too.
Seriously? You are comparing the distortion in a fisheye to the 50 f1.4... This place is getting beyond pathetic.

Here it is compared to the very highly rated EF 35 f1.4L

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Hmmmm.... nobody ever said that either. If you have read the forum at all, then you'd know a high mp model is on the way. Crying it isn't here precisely when you want it is childish. I'd like one also, but complaining while extolling the virtues of company X is just plain silly. Go buy what the other company makes. Oh yeah, forgot. You already own what company X has issued. o_O :poop:

Extolling the virtues of company X??????

Look, I get it that YOU are happy with the EOS R and don't understand why anyone could want more but how is that any less selfish to me wanting something different for my needs?

Its a forum, crying and being childish doesn't come into it - they are reactionary words that I'd prefer not to rise to.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Look, I get it that YOU are happy with the EOS R and don't understand why anyone could want more but how is that any less selfish to me wanting something different for my needs?
See what you did there? It isn't that you are selfish. You just can't understand why there isn't an outpouring of grief by people who already know that what they want is coming down the pike. It's your carping that somehow Canon should have had a pro mirrorless body years ago because Sony somehow set the direction for the future.

Then there is your refusing to define what a "Pro" body is. For many, the R is. For many, it is not. But guess what? You don't get to decide for everyone else.

So why don't you tell us all: What exactly do you want Canon to make for you that would make you happy? What, to you, would be the "Pro" body? Answer that and you might not come across as a vague twit.

A "pro" body for one person's needs is entirely different from what a pro body is for another person's needs. Are you a wildlife or sports photographer? Then you need something fast. Are you a portrait photographer? Then you don't. So what exactly is it that you need?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
See what you did there? It isn't that you are selfish. You just can't understand why there isn't an outpouring of grief by people who already know that what they want is coming down the pike. It's your carping that somehow Canon should have had a pro mirrorless body years ago because Sony somehow set the direction for the future.
I didn’t DO anything other that state the obvious. And judging by the personal jibes you keep flinging my way its obviously hit a nerve that someone can’t possibly want a camera different to that you consider fine for your use.

Nobody does know what is coming down the pike so how do we know by buying into the R system Canon will deliver a camera of the calibre of the old 1Ds series (resolution, build quality etc) for example? However, if you do know some inside information please share it with us all.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Seriously? You are comparing the distortion in a fisheye to the 50 f1.4... This place is getting beyond pathetic.

Here it is compared to the very highly rated EF 35 f1.4L
The comparison seems to show that 35/1.4, even being wider, does not need distortion correction in post, while 50/1.4 does.

Still, 50/1.4 was a joke (and marked as such). The main culprit is RF 24-240.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Sorry, I don't follow. Where did I say that?
In the quote I provided.

Or is it my fault that you don't understand what you are saying?

Nobody does know what is coming down the pike so how do we know by buying into the R system Canon will deliver a camera of the calibre of the old 1Ds series (resolution,
I think it's highly unlikely. If you expect an R camera with sub-20Mp resolution, you will be disappointed.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I didn’t DO anything other that state the obvious. And judging by the personal jibes you keep flinging my way its obviously hit a nerve that someone can’t possibly want a camera different to that you consider fine for your use.

Nobody does know what is coming down the pike so how do we know by buying into the R system Canon will deliver a camera of the calibre of the old 1Ds series (resolution, build quality etc) for example? However, if you do know some inside information please share it with us all.
:rolleyes:
1. You are wrong. I hope everyone gets what they think they need. However, you are unable to describe what you think you need.
2. Of course there will be something akin to or better than the 1D series. Resolution of the 1D Series has been surpassed years ago. The 5D series and R series already beat it there.
3. You still cannot describe the camera you want to see made except to say Sony already makes whatever that is.
4. Go have a pint.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Some people make do with an R camera and are happy about it. You do not want to do this for reasons that are not clear to me. What is it that you want in a Canon mirrorless that the R can't provide in order to make use of all that wonderful RF glass? The main weaknesses of the R seem to have to do with action photography, but action photography is not the main strength of the new RF glass, except maybe the upcoming 70-200.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Some people make do with an R camera and are happy about it. You do not want to do this for reasons that are not clear to me. What is it that you want in a Canon mirrorless that the R can't provide in order to make use of all that wonderful RF glass? The main weaknesses of the R seem to have to do with action photography, but action photography is not the main strength of the new RF glass, except maybe the upcoming 70-200.
Thanks for the reply.

Resolution is my main objective in a camera and why I keep mentioning 1Ds cameras who's main objective in their day was speed, resolution and build quality. I’ve shot with EOS 1 film cameras during the 1990’s up until the 1DsIII when Canon abandoned the high resolution series leaving all us long time users without a replacement.11 years is a long time.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Thanks for the reply.

Resolution is my main objective in a camera and why I keep mentioning 1Ds cameras who's main objective in their day was speed, resolution and build quality. I’ve shot with EOS 1 film cameras during the 1990’s up until the 1DsIII when Canon abandoned the high resolution series leaving all us long time users without a replacement.11 years is a long time.
I would really like to know what you mean by resolution and also how that has been abandoned, because I do not get it. Surely the current 1DX Mark II is better resolution than the 1DS Mark III. Surely dynamic range is better today than it was way back then.

There is a high resolution R series coming. Some say as many as 80+ megapixels. But then you also mention speed, and an 80+ megapixel camera will probably not be a speed demon... which is why the constant asking of you to explain exactly what it is you are looking for and that you refuse to articulate.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would really like to know what you mean by resolution and also how that has been abandoned, because I do not get it. Surely the current 1DX Mark II is better resolution than the 1DS Mark III.

No the 1DX MkII has less MP (fractionally) than the 1Ds MkIII. Indeed my main reason for not going to the 'replacement' for the 1Ds MkIII, the 1DX, was the drop in resolution from 21mp to 18mp.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0