Patent: Canon RF 13-21mm f/2.8L

I like the fact that we’re being given a distinct choice that’s less involved in our needing to agonize over quality, as both the 2.8 line and the 2 line are clearly best in class, but rather it being a much more reasonable pocketbook and weight issue.

Plus the f/4 trinity should come to RF as well.

Upvote 0
I'm currently on a 10 day trip and had my bag packed with the f/4ish unholy zoom trinity (16-35, 24-105 , 100-400) and at the last moment changed bags, took off my L bracket and put one lens on the camera. The 40 pancake. Best decision I could have made.

Light bag, good semi wide/semi normal focal length (I loathe 50mm), balancing life along non shooters with photography. I'm away for 12 days next month and might do it again.

Yeah, once you've seen the light from a small single-lens solution, it's hard to go back to the heavy bag. I'm currently using the Leica Q for that but am looking forward to the rumored native RF pancake to appear.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Plus the f/4 trinity should come to RF as well.
I wasn’t even thinking about that. I wonder if the IQ of those will be as high as the others, or whether it will be thought of, by Canon, as mostly a less expensive, lighter series, with lower IQ.

so far, Canon has been hitting all the high points. If an f4 series is also a high point, I honestly don’t see how Nikon is going to catch them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wasn’t even thinking about that. I wonder if the IQ of those will be as high as the others, or whether it will be thought of, by Canon, as mostly a less expensive, lighter series, with lower IQ.

so far, Canon has been hitting all the high points. If an f4 series is also a high point, I honestly don’t see how Nikon is going to catch them.

I think as long as we're talking about f/4 *L* lenses, we're going to be safe IQ-wise.

Upvote 0
Hello, just wondering...
Is RF 10-24mm f/4L still only as a patent and it possibly won't be announced in the near future (let say 2021) or are there any news that it's in the pipeline?
I want to buy Canon R5 and was wandering should I buy RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS to accompany it with RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS? As the latter already has the focal length beginning at 24 mm I thought 10-24mm would be better, considering the wider 10mm. But I haven't found any more information, just about the patent.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
They are keeping it as a secret, that's why. Maybe some time later they will add more products to the future roadmap and it will appear.
Recently they came out with a handful of telephoto lenses the RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM should be next in line along with a nifty fifty and 2020 is complete.

So in 2021 they may continue at the wide end of things, but we really don't know.

Upvote 0