Patent: Canon RF 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Now wouldn't that be a nice focal range for an APSC R Camera :)
it would be "inefficient" as a APS-C lens as the lens is primarily designed to project out to a full frame image circle.

this is I think the third or so patent we've found for this focal so it's interesting to see Canon put so much attention on it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
If it were to be an APS-C lens, I would have expected the lens to be faster than f/3.5-5.6 probably closer to the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4...and for that reason I believe this is going to be a FF lens.

I disagree. Canon's EF-S 18-55 (perhaps the most popular EF-mount kit lens ever produced) is a 3.5-5.6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If it were to be an APS-C lens, I would have expected the lens to be faster than f/3.5-5.6 probably closer to the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4...and for that reason I believe this is going to be a FF lens.

Well, the image height in the specifications indicate it's a full frame lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I’m in. Been desperately wanting a little more than 18-55 for the M for years.

I caved and bought the 11-22. Thought I would be in love.

Barely use it, I miss the internal zooming of the 11-22 efs. Zooming on the tiny size is very annoying.

My m50 has pretty severe shutter slap, so its all been on the shelf for months. disappointing.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
oh, I just made a mistake. it isn't an internal zoom lens, it seems to contract a tad bit in the middle focal range, but only a small amount.

Similar to the way the front elements of the 17-40 and 16-35s contract inside the lens barrel without changing the total length of the lens.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yea, with a front protective filter I consider my 16-35 an "internal zoom lens". :cool:

With a front protective filter I consider my EF 17-40mm f/4 L a "flare/ghosting monster." It's bad enough in that respect even with no filter.

But then I use it under the lights at night for wide angle shots of sports. I've shot with it in moderate rain with no filter and no ill effects. (I rarely have the pretty much useless hood for it with me, though I never use any of my other zoom lenses without a hood.)

Upvote 0